Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

540 flash question

I recently bought a 540 for my K10D. I noticed yesterday as I was using it that the head tilts and swivels WITHOUT pressing the button. I can't remember for sure, but I seem to recall that when I first got it a week ago I had to press that button before I could move the head. I certainly had to do that with my Canon flashes when I shot Canon.

There were a few times when the head moved inadvertently during the shoot yesterday, because it wouldn't "lock" into place. That was a pain. I tried fiddling around with the button, but it seems stuck. I have literally used this flash twice.

Just want to confirm that this is indeed a problem with my flash, rather than a design flaw, before I send it in for repair.

Thanks.

10-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Per the manual, the locking button is only required to set the head to the -10 degree position.

I just checked mine, and it stops at the positions. It does require some (not a lot of) pressure to move it into the next position. However, I didn't need to press the locking button on the head to make it go to -10 degrees.

I can check my other (newer) unit when I get home and confirm if it's the same. Hope that helps...
10-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
I recently bought a 540 for my K10D. I noticed yesterday as I was using it that the head tilts and swivels WITHOUT pressing the button. I can't remember for sure, but I seem to recall that when I first got it a week ago I had to press that button before I could move the head. I certainly had to do that with my Canon flashes when I shot Canon.

There were a few times when the head moved inadvertently during the shoot yesterday, because it wouldn't "lock" into place. That was a pain. I tried fiddling around with the button, but it seems stuck. I have literally used this flash twice.
Funny you should say this. I recently bought the Samsung equivalent, the SEF-54PZF. Apart from the badge, it seems identical to the AF540-FGZ.

I've been merrily tilting it and swivelling it, and it moves between detents very smoothly and positively.

Then I found the reference to the button in the manual, and discovered that it had one. I hadn't even noticed it.

It doesn't seem to do anything on mine.

EDIT:

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Per the manual, the locking button is only required to set the head to the -10 degree position.
Oops.

Yes, mine too.
10-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm... sounds like it's not a problem with my flash unit, then.

10-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hmmm... sounds like it's not a problem with my flash unit, then.
Not if it clicks from position to position. If it moves smoothly all the way round with no detent clicks, that wouldn't be right.

But as it says in the manual (thanks 35mm), and as I've now verified with mine, the button is only required for the -10 (ie tilt down) position.
10-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I have two 540's. They bounce angle can be adjusted on both of them without pressing the button on the side of the hinge area.

That button is identified in the very bad operating manual (page 13) as the "bounce lock release button" Other than that, I can find no references to the button anywhere.

While I was looking just now, however, I did notice that the back of the manual mentions that there is a -10 degrees angle available for the 540's bounce head. And I just discovered something: If you push the flash head forward and down without pressing in the "bounce lock release button", you can only get it to 0 degrees, i.e., straight forward. But if you push in the release button, you can push it down another 10 degrees. I guess that is useful for those times when you're close to the subject.

So I'm grateful to you for asking the question. My guess is that the bounce lock release is there to keep you from going down to -10 degrees accidentally, which makes sense. The ability to move the head UP/back without pressing the button also makes sense to me. The increments do click and I've personally never had a problem with either the tilt or swivel feature of this flash.

Will

Addendum with correction: 35mm said "per the manual," so I checked again. Yep, it's there: page 55. I've studied this manual but I've missed that detail about the -10 degree setting in the past. My mistake.

Last edited by WMBP; 10-23-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: correction
10-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was really surprised as well with this question, but having gone back, now understand why I never noticed.

The button is only used to tilt DOWN. I have never done this with the flash, as I have always had it on the camera, and as a result there is no value in tilting down,

The button is there to prevent doing this by accident.

10-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
as I have always had it on the camera, and as a result there is no value in tilting down
I guess if the subject was very close there might be, since otherwise the light could go over the top.
10-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
While you're all here , a quick question about the 540 (and 360 for that matter). Is it possible to use the K10D to control them wirelessly in MANUAL mode, or just P-TTL?
10-23-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

While you're all here , a quick question about the 540 (and 360 for that matter). Is it possible to use the K10D to control them wirelessly in MANUAL mode, or just P-TTL?
Yes. I haven't taken any pictures, but using the built-in in wireless mode does trigger the 540 in both A and M.

The 540 doesn't emit a pre-flash, though, just the main flash.

A word of warning:

When you test this in manual mode, don't look at the 540 flash head directly to check that it goes off.

Sadly, realising that it's a damn fool thing to do happens just a few milliseconds after you discover that it works.

The rather unattractive orange rectangle in front of my eyes is fading now... some minutes later.

Yes, I do feel a fool. But if it prevents anyone as daft as I am from doing the same thing I don't mind

F*** it was bright...
10-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Yes. I haven't taken any pictures, but using the built-in in wireless mode does trigger the 540 in both A and M.

The 540 doesn't emit a pre-flash, though, just the main flash.

A word of warning:

When you test this in manual mode, don't look at the 540 flash head directly to check that it goes off.

Sadly, realising that it's a damn fool thing to do happens just a few milliseconds after you discover that it works.

The rather unattractive orange rectangle in front of my eyes is fading now... some minutes later.

Yes, I do feel a fool. But if it prevents anyone as daft as I am from doing the same thing I don't mind

F*** it was bright...

Thanks for the tip, Chris Do I have to fire the K10D flash in "master" mode to trigger the 540 wirelessly, or will it work in "controller" mode. Have you tried it in sunlight?
10-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Do I have to fire the K10D flash in "master" mode to trigger the 540 wirelessly, or will it work in "controller" mode. Have you tried it in sunlight?
Seems to fire the 540 in Master and Controller mode.

Haven't tried it in sunlight yet.