Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I don't wanna be "that" guy, but is this a church ceremony? For two reasons, first I doubt the ceilings will be low enough to bounce. Secondly, did you ask the priest/pastor if its ok to use flash during the ceremony? The last few wedding's I've been to have been a bit more strict. If the place has good (enough) natural light you may be better off using a faster lens than lugging a flash.

Your choice of the metz 58 or the Pentax 540 is a good one. I've been lucky to not have the underexposure problem in the 540 so havent needed to adjust it. The metz does well with whatever you throw at it and I think its still cheaper than the 540, plus you can update thru firmware like the camera.
Am I swaying you to one direction??? :-)

03-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The flash won't be an issue in the church, it's the church I currently attend so I'm sure my pastor is fine with it, it's a contemporary looking church. The ceiling is very industrial looking with exposed duct work. There are panels throughout the church, lower in height, where lights reflect off of to soften the light because the ceilings are like 25 feet high. I'm thinking of just using my on camera softbox and pointing it at the bride and groom and mixing with ambient. What do you think?
03-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
The flash won't be an issue in the church, it's the church I currently attend so I'm sure my pastor is fine with it, it's a contemporary looking church. The ceiling is very industrial looking with exposed duct work. There are panels throughout the church, lower in height, where lights reflect off of to soften the light because the ceilings are like 25 feet high. I'm thinking of just using my on camera softbox and pointing it at the bride and groom and mixing with ambient. What do you think?
IMO, you'd be making a big mistake not to contact the pastor. My father was a pastor, and as a group, they care a lot about how religious services are conducted. Not to contact the guy in charge of the service is probably considered rude by most pastors. besides that, they can probably give you some useful tips since he or she has likely been through hundreds of such services.

good luck to you!
03-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Phil. If you're considering bringing visually obtrusive gear such as flash modifiers to use at the service, then you may become an unwanted distraction in the service. Ask the pastor and be assured that you know how to use your gear well before the service. And enjoy it.