Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #1

Recommendation: Protective Cover for K10D rear LCD

Hi,
I got my K10D a few weeks back and really enjoy its quality and picture taking features. I'd like to prevent the rear LCD from getting scratched from use. How well does the Giottos screen protector work (about $25)? Any other suggested products. Thanks and go Red Sox!

10-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PM sent...
10-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wil_war@comcast.net Quote
Hi,
I got my K10D a few weeks back and really enjoy its quality and picture taking features. I'd like to prevent the rear LCD from getting scratched from use. How well does the Giottos screen protector work (about $25)? Any other suggested products. Thanks and go Red Sox!
Years ago, when I got my first good digital camera (an Olympus Camedia C3000), I worried about this. I bought plastic coverings and used them. However, the coverings reduce the clarity of the LCD somewhat, and they end up curling at the corners and becoming an ugly pain -- at least that's what happened to me.

With my next camera (a Canon PowerShot S1 IS), I decided not to bother with the coverings. Over the next couple years, I moved from the S1 to the S2 and then to the S3, taking thousands and thousands of photos, indoors, outdoors, in the city, hiking in the mountains, and elsewhere -- in other words, I used these cameras often and worked 'em pretty hard. Never had a problem on the LCD.

With my DSLRs, I simply don't worry about it any more. The plastic on the LCD seems to be very strong and highly scratch resistant. I'm definitely NOT saying you couldn't scratch it if you tried. But I've taken nearly 7,000 shots with my K10D this year alone, in all kinds of environments, and I don't treat the camera as if it were a crystal egg -- but the LCD is pristine.

Your experience may be different. I'm not recommending that you NOT cover your LCD. I do understand the desire to be careful, indeed, although the K10D is weather sealed, I'm not one of those who would dare to stand out in the rain and take photos. I'm just sharing my own experience about the LCD, which is that it's been pretty sturdy.

Will
10-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Delkin makes different-sized flip up shade/protectors. I've seen them for $10 at Circuit City, or $20 from Ritz. The 3-sided pop-up shade can be removed (or lost in Joshua Tree National Monument) to leave just the glass cover. The shade proved to be ineffective on the shiney K100D, however.

10-24-2007, 01:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought these. Can't fault them. I didn't bother with my old camera and it fared pretty well, but I'm averaging 20,000 shots/year now so my camera is going in and out of the bag a lot.
10-24-2007, 01:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
I bought these. Can't fault them. I didn't bother with my old camera and it fared pretty well, but I'm averaging 20,000 shots/year now so my camera is going in and out of the bag a lot.
I have the same and during one incident the protector did it's job with flying colours and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this type of cover.
10-24-2007, 02:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

With my DSLRs, I simply don't worry about it any more. The plastic on the LCD seems to be very strong and highly scratch resistant. I'm definitely NOT saying you couldn't scratch it if you tried. But I've taken nearly 7,000 shots with my K10D this year alone, in all kinds of environments, and I don't treat the camera as if it were a crystal egg -- but the LCD is pristine.

Your experience may be different. I'm not recommending that you NOT cover your LCD. I do understand the desire to be careful, indeed, although the K10D is weather sealed, I'm not one of those who would dare to stand out in the rain and take photos. I'm just sharing my own experience about the LCD, which is that it's been pretty sturdy.

Will
I second this.

With various cameras I never had a scratching issue. There is no need for a cover.
You will severly decrease the LCD's visibility. The K10D is pretty robust.
Don't worry, you've bought quality gear. That's why this camera stands out.
Be sure not to use any solvents cleaning the LCD.

- Bert

10-24-2007, 04:56 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wil_war@comcast.net Quote
Hi,
I will respond even though are OBVIOUSLY a Red Sox fan

I purchased the Giottos from B&H Photo several months ago and have had great results with the device. With it being glass, I don't get any distorsion. If you do purchase it, just make sure you clean the surface and the Giottos before installing.

Good luck and what happened to my Indians???
10-24-2007, 06:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Screen Protector

I got some Palm Pilot "stick on" vinyl protectors at the local office supplu store. They work fine for scratch protection and I haven't noticed any appreciable distortion of loss of contrast. They are also quite inexpensive compared to some of the other solutions I pricedhttps://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
. Dave
10-24-2007, 07:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I find myself torn here... wanting to believe that no protection is necessary but afraid that I'll be the exception to the rule and regret my decision to not add an inexpensive protective screen. So... could someone supply a link to the Giotto screen that is for the Pentax k10d from B&H? I ask this since there are about a dozen of these Giotto screens and I've no clue which one is the right one. Thanks.

Secondly, I'm curious as well about the Invisible shield. I went to their site, watched their promotional video and was immediately struck by the fact that air bubbles could very well become an issue with such a device. Has this been your experience? I can see where the Giotto being glass would not have the air bubble issue but the Invisible shield might. Your comments are appreciated. We're new to this and want to protect but not baby our cameras.
10-24-2007, 07:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a bubble or any distortion on my Invisible. It's easy to apply and remove should it need replacing. Doesn't interfere in any way to viewing the shots and the edges don't curl up. I'm happy with it. Plus it doesn't add any thickness to the LCD or stick out in any way.
10-24-2007, 08:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Peter

I ordered (and received) ours two days ago. My wife applied her Zune invisible shield but it left a few bubbles. We've hesitated in applying them to our Pentax cameras for that very reason. Perhaps she was not careful enough. I'll grant you, a few bubbles shouldn't really be of any concern unless one is anally retentive (I tend in this direction... lol).

I watched the video on their site (the one relating to "how" to apply the shield) and it appeared fairly straight forward. Did you do anything different from their suggested technique? How long have you had it on your camera now? Any sign of curled or peeling corners? Do you simply wipe the oil (from your nose and cheek) off or do you use an optical solution like the one from Kalt?

You also mentioned it could be removed quite easily. Have you tried and does it leave any adhesive behind? Thanks.
10-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
Inactive Account

[QUOTE=JamesD;109869]I find myself torn here... wanting to believe that no protection is necessary but afraid that I'll be the exception to the rule and regret my decision to not add an inexpensive protective screen. So... could someone supply a link to the Giotto screen that is for the Pentax k10d from B&H? I ask this since there are about a dozen of these Giotto screens and I've no clue which one is the right one. Thanks.

I ordered the # GILSP5646 fits like a glove.
10-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Not a bubble or any distortion on my Invisible. It's easy to apply and remove should it need replacing. Doesn't interfere in any way to viewing the shots and the edges don't curl up. I'm happy with it. Plus it doesn't add any thickness to the LCD or stick out in any way.
My experience also. You must use plenty of the spray though. And, because the K10D is weather sealed you don't need to worry

Win-win situation.
10-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Squarerigger

Thanks for the information. I'm going to seriously consider ordering this screen.

blwnhr

I appreciate what you're saying. My question remains: have you tried to remove the protective screen? I'm wondering how difficult that would be and whether or not it would leave behind an adhesive that would make a mess and require some solvent to remove. I'm tempted to just give our Invisible Shields a try since I've ordered them but I really like the idea of this Giotto glass screen as well. I'm just not sure whether it's something worth getting hung up over. Thanks.