Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

ist DL or K100D Super?

Hi,

First time poster and looking to be a first time dslr owner. looking between an ist dl and the k100d super. my local store has a brand new ist dl kit for $382. i see i can get a k100d super for $499-$100 rebate online. my main use would be for home interiors. any thoughts between the two? which would you purchase? or any other camera preference in this price range? i was looking at the panasonic point and shoot dmc-fz18k but figured why not go w/ a dslr at a simlar price? looking forward to your feedback. thank you and much appreciation!

10-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have both the ist dl and the 100d( not the super). Both are very good cameras but for what you are going to shoot, I would suggest the super because of the shake reduction. Rick
10-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Get the Super. It also supports SDM lenses.
10-23-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joeboo Quote
First time poster and looking to be a first time dslr owner. looking between an ist dl and the k100d super. my local store has a brand new ist dl kit for $382. i see i can get a k100d super for $499-$100 rebate online. my main use would be for home interiors. any thoughts between the two? which would you purchase? or any other camera preference in this price range? i was looking at the panasonic point and shoot dmc-fz18k but figured why not go w/ a dslr at a simlar price? looking forward to your feedback. thank you and much appreciation!
OK, you have two issues here: (1) compact camera vs dslr; and (2) which dslr?

On the first issue, it's hard to give advice. I will tell you that the compact superzooms can be excellent cameras. I'm not a dslr snob. I think you should ask yourself what you want to do. Are you mainly interested in the photos -- the end product? Then get the compact superzoom. While I respect anybody's right to waste his money as he sees fit, it does seem to me that a lot of dslr owners are not well served by their cameras. Out of the box, a dslr does not take better photos, indeed, many owners of good compact cameras get a dslr and feel like their photos are suddenly WORSE, for various reasons. Their old camera had tremendous depth of field, for one. So why buy a dslr? I think it makes sense to buy a dslr if you really want to take control of the photographic process -- if you're into the process of taking the photo as much or more than having the photo.

The Lumix you mentioned is reported to be an awesome camera, and remember that it can do a whole slew of things that your dslr won't be able to do. If you have a limited reason for buying a camera (you mentioned home interiors), well, a dslr might be more trouble than it's worth to you. Keep in mind also that, if you buy the Lumix, the $400 or less that you'll spend is pretty much the total cost of ownership. This is very likely not the case if you buy a dslr. I know many people buy a dslr with the kit lens and stop there -- but this seems to me a pretty bad choice. One of the main reasons to own a dslr is the ability to use interchangeable lenses. So you buy a dslr with, say, an 18-55 lens, and next thing you know, you're spending $200 (or $500) to buy a second lens, then a third, then a flash attachment, etc. For example, to get something approximating the versatility of that Lumix in a Pentax dslr, you'd need to buy a K100D Super + the Tamron or Pentax 18-250mm lens (cost of the lens alone = $500).

SO, give it some thought. Don't buy the dslr thinking, "What the heck? For a few dollars more I can get something much better." That's simply not true. For a few dollars more, you can get a platform that has the potential to be better. But for the first $500 you spend, the top of the line compact cameras are generally superior cameras for the purposes of most consumers.

Now, if you do decide to go with the dslr after all, then get the K100D Super. True, you have to wait for the rebate check, and it's a long wait. But it will come. So unless being without that $100 for six to eight weeks means you can't feed your children, get the K100D Super. Better camera all around. I bought a K100D (not Super) as my first DSLR a year ago. Later sold it to get the K10D. Wish I had kept the K100D as someone here recommended, because I soon realized that I needed two cameras. I ended up buying a slightly used *ist DS for under $300. I like the DS very much, fine camera, but I'd rather have the K100D back. ;-)

Will

10-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
and
Veteran Member

K100D super. its just a better camera. Its a more tweaked version of the DS/DL and the shake reduction is a big feature to have. Also the SDM means you will be able to use any new and coming lens to its full potential.
10-24-2007, 12:39 AM   #6

Have to agree with them K100D (anything) is the way to go its just newer technology and the shake reduction is actually really good. Rarely will you get any blurry photos with the shake reduction on.
10-24-2007, 04:56 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I own K100D (not super), I simply have to recommend it. DL is bit smaller and lighter, but then with K100D (whatever) you'll get anti-shake, more AF points, and with Super you'll get SDM support (will you ever buy DA* lenses?) and anti dust system (qestionable effectivity). My way to go: try to get K100D even if bit used, but in good condition.
10-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

With dSLR it is still a case of the newer the better -
although dSLRs are maturing - they do not yet have the real maturity of say 35mm SLRs where older models may actually be better than the latest -
Digital photography is still developing - so like computers they still tend to get better.

The K100D Super should show improvements over (without any disrespect to) the *ist DL.

Please click on and read the "Popular Photography" magazine review of the Pentax K100D where they make several direct comparisons with the *ist DS2 -

Camera Test: Pentax K100D - - PopPhotoOctober 2006

they have now also published a review of the K100D Super -
where there are comparisons to the K100D

Camera Test: Pentax K100D Super - - PopPhotoNovember 2007

10-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
kay

I upgraded from a DL to a K100D (non-Super but still), and it's a much, much better camera. Go with the K100D Super, it supports the new SDM lenses of which there will be more in the future. The DL is a nice camera, but it's worth going to a K100D at the price difference.
10-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

As others have said, the K100D Super...without a doubt. Once you use Shake Reduction, you will never want to be without it. I haven't used my Ds bodies since I got my Shake Reduction bodies.
10-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
first of all, thank you and much appreciation for your all the feedback! after much searching and reading(throughout the internet) i decided i'm going to go w/ the k100d super. going dslr over a compact allows me to grow w/ the camera and understand that more $ may be needed. my main use for business is home interiors. but also for family(such as my kids' soccer games). i plan to learn my craft as a tool is only as good as its operator.

i'm looking into a telephoto and wide angle for the specific situations above.

looking at the tamron or pentax 18-250mm lens for family outings, sporting events. how does this compare to the pentax 50mm-200mm lens?

for wide, i see the sigma 10-20mm ultra wide is popular. seems to be a good choice for home interiors. my only concern is barrel distortion. and other recommendations(w/ less distortion)?

thank you again!
10-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
kay

That's a sound decision

The Pentax 18-250 is likely to be just as good as the 50-200 for general use, with the added benefit that you don't have to switch lenses (which is actually quite a huge plus!)

The Sigma 10-20 seems like a capable lens, there is also the Pentax 12-24 (not as wide) which many feel is superior, and the Pentax 14mm (even less wide, fixed perspective) which has the least distortion of all the above. No personal experience with any of them but I've seen great pics from all
10-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joeboo Quote
looking at the tamron or pentax 18-250mm lens for family outings, sporting events. how does this compare to the pentax 50mm-200mm lens?
This is a decision others have also faced -
the 18-250 all-in-one zoom, or the kit lenses 18-55mm + 50-200mm.

Please see this thread Help with lens selection - my reply was in Post #12 (link)

For completeness the PopPhoto.com review of the re-badged Samsung clone/version of the (Pentax) 18-55mm kit zoom

Lens Test: Schneider-Kreuznach D-Xenon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF
Full test of Samsung's Schneider-Kreuznach D-Xenon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF lens.
July 2006

It probably comes down to what price you want to afford -
the 18-250 zoom is about $500 - which is more than the price of the K100D Super camera -
the total combined price for the kit lenses (18-55 and 50-200mm) is about $240 after rebate (have to buy the 50-200mm at the same time as the K100D Super to get $25 rebate) - so that's about half the price.

It's up to you whether $260 is worth the convenience of not having to change lenses.