Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Stuff I'd Like to see

We all have features we would like to see in the next new camera from Pentax. Most of them include faster AF, increased dynamic range, better video etc. – insert your own wants here. As an owner of a lot of older K and M series lenses I wonder how difficult it would be for Pentax to spend some time making it easier to use these older lenses on new cameras.

The Green button works – sort of but wouldn’t it be nice to have some sort of auto exposure function for older Takumar, K and M series lenses? They could call it AEM – Auto Exposure Manual for those of use who still like to turn an aperture ring. I’m sure it should be possible and it’s a feature I would really like to see. Something like the old LX AE would be great. Center weighted metering would be fine with me.

I know Pentax wants to sell me their latest products and who can blame them? You can’t stay in business if you can sell new products. I understand this but that being said you want to retain your customer base. The main reason I stayed with Pentax when I went digital was the fact they let me use all my older lenses in a limited sort of way. Now I want more backward compatibility. Perhaps the successor to the K5 might include such a feature. Making it available only on the high end model would help recoup development costs and keep long time users in the fold. I’d be willing to pay a premium price for it.

Modern cameras are computers and most of use will probably upgrade every three or four years. Fast changing technology almost forces us to. We tend to hang on to our lenses much longer however. Anyone else like to see such a feature or am I just stuck in the past?

Tom G

03-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I guess I will kick this off first

I want a Pentax with swivel LCD screen This will save me a trip to the chiropractor every time i take a low level shot, which will in a way help to pay off the new Pentax camera in no time
03-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i'd love the return of a non crippled K mount that let me use the k/m/m42 etc without the green button. I'm not sure it is possible with the current mount though.
Better DR? really? the k5 DR is astounding. Not saying it won't happen but i think it's low on their feature list. I'm guessing the sensor will move to a new body design with other upgrades (like the K20-K7 change) then in 2 generations we'll see a new sensor.
03-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

In looing at the OP's comment,

Auto exposure is available for takumars, Av mode works just fine, What is missing, and will never be made available for takumars is open aperture metering, since that was only available on the Spotmatic F and SP II cameras and only with SMC takumars.

As for the "crippled K mount, yes it woudl be nice to see the aperture coupling back, but I won't bet the farm on it.

What I would really like to see, however, is a return to optional support for TTL flash like the *istD had. That way you got great flash control with the older lenses.

03-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
In looing at the OP's comment,

As for the "crippled K mount, yes it woudl be nice to see the aperture coupling back, but I won't bet the farm on it.

What I would really like to see, however, is a return to optional support for TTL flash like the *istD had. That way you got great flash control with the older lenses.

Your're probably right Lowell but it would be nice to see. One would think with those millions of old Pentax lenses out there they have a potentially large niche market only they could supply.

Tom G
03-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Your're probably right Lowell but it would be nice to see. One would think with those millions of old Pentax lenses out there they have a potentially large niche market only they could supply.

Tom G
Thing is they are already supplying a good chunk of that market without providing the feature so there is no financial push to add it unfortunately
The TTL idea Lowell mentioned likely has more traction, but all of the current flash lineup is pttl based and Pentax has never admitted that their implementation of pttl is less than stellar (other brands ie Nikon implement their version very well)
The TTL would be extremely useful with some studio lighting setups as well. I think this idea though a slim chance has more chance of implementation as it removes a roadblock to people choosing Pentax
03-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The return of the split prism as a standard item is high on my list.
03-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The return of the split prism as a standard item is high on my list.
+ 1 on this

03-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/15728-dear-pentax.html
03-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I want a Pentax with swivel LCD screen
I fully agree, I've used one on the Canon S2 for two years and it's incredible how it will improve your versatility.

Based on what I've read about the K5, I'd say simply add predictive AF, and keep working on releasing wonderful lenses.