Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

10% off coupon for TechForLess - K10D, K110D, K200D, K2000

I recently received an e-mail from TechForLess with a link to their web site that will give you a 10% discount on anything they sell. They have the following Pentax bodies available - K10D, K110D, K200D, K2000. I don't know how their prices compare with anyone else.

The e-mail says I can forward it to friends and family, so if anyone wants the 10% discount, PM me an e-mail address and I will forward it to you. The discount is only good until Mar 23.

I am not affiliated with TechForLess in any way and won't receive any benefit from anyone buying something.

I recently bought a K200D from them. It was billed as being a new, open box item. The camera did appear to be new and had a shutter count of about 440. It was complete with all the accessories. The box was a little rough, but that was the only way this did not appear to be a perfect, brand new item.

I bought my K200D before receiving the coupon, so I didn't get the 10% off. I purchased it from them through Amazon to avoid the sales tax, since I live in the same state as TechForLess (Colorado). The discount requires buying direct from their web site, so if I had done that, I would have lost most of the discount to taxes anyway.

03-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlb Quote
I recently received an e-mail from TechForLess with a link to their web site that will give you a 10% discount on anything they sell. They have the following Pentax bodies available - K10D, K110D, K200D, K2000. I don't know how their prices compare with anyone else.
I recently bought a K200D from them. It was billed as being a new, open box item. The camera did appear to be new and had a shutter count of about 440. It was complete with all the accessories. The box was a little rough, but that was the only way this did not appear to be a perfect, brand new item.

I bought my K200D before receiving the coupon, so I didn't get the 10% off. I purchased it from them through Amazon to avoid the sales tax, since I live in the same state as TechForLess (Colorado). The discount requires buying direct from their web site, so if I had done that, I would have lost most of the discount to taxes anyway.
Tech for Less - techforless.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

Ratings of 5.28 out of 10. Edited: If you read the comments on the Reseller Ratings, they are pretty negative, but pretty positive on this thread. perhaps the reason is that they have a different business model in the overstock/refurbed things they carry. if one can understand where they get their stock from, then there will be less frustration with the occasional mis-described item that must be returned

Last edited by philbaum; 03-22-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: initial comment based on resellerratings was too harsh.
03-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
mlb
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the warning. I don't know if I would have bought from them if I had seen this first. However, so far, my experience has been great.
03-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I ordered factory refurbished HP Elitebook from them. The laptop arrived defective, but they offerd exchange without any problem. I am quite happy with their customer service and communication.

03-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Last year they had a number of Quantaray lenses acquired from the Ritz bankruptcy. There was no problem with the 2 lenses I bought, but the 2x teleconverter that was supposed to be open box was only a Pentax box. The teleconverter was for Minolta. They simply refunded my money and told me to keep the teleconverter.

The only fault I can find with Tech4Less is that they charge too much for shipping.
03-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter

So who do we trust, Reseller Ratings or BBB?
BBB Review of Tech for Less in Colorado Springs, CO
03-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #7

Hi mlb,

Can you forward me the 10% discount code ?

Thanks,
Vaykay
03-22-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The only fault I can find with Tech4Less is that they charge too much for shipping.
True...

If you buy one item. If you buy a bunch, they end up being a great deal. I bought an Ipod touch from them last year - it was a refurb, already cheapest price online before the 10% coupon. I then added a half dozen accessories including 4 cases and some chargers and screen covers - all were under $2 - on their own, shipping was over $10 - but for each item added they only charge a small amount, so a multi-item purchase becomes much cheaper on the shipping side.

I've bought several things from them, and their description is usually accurate (including the Ipod touch, and a panasonic fz30 several years ago).

03-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
So who do we trust, Reseller Ratings or BBB?
BBB Review of Tech for Less in Colorado Springs, CO
I think the conflict is probably due to them having a different business plan than a BHPhoto or Adorama. If one can accept that the occasional "open" box may have a different item than described (and may need to be returned), then one will be less frustrated when it occurs.. When operating with low margins, one can't reasonably expect the same kind of service IMO. That dosn't mean the service is bad - just different.
03-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
mlb
Forum Member

Original Poster
For my K200D, I paid $10.something for expedited shipping. It would have been $6.something for normal shipping.

My camera shipped the same day I ordered it and was at my house the next day, although I am only about 125 miles away from them.

I thought the shipping charge was reasonable.

I purchased from them through Amazon. I don't know if they have different shipping rates on Amazon than on their own web site.
04-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I purchased a refurbed K200D from them in the last few weeks and it arrived in good time (to Australia). I'm really happy with it and everything seems to work as it should, shutter count just under 500!. My only problem was that the 'bung' that covers the battery grip contacts was missing. I emailed them and explained the situation to them. One week later a bung arrived in the post along with 4 alkaline batteries! Pretty good service if you ask me, and I would certainly use them again.
04-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #12

I live close enough to their store to have been there. It's very organized and service is excellent. Perhaps the bad reviews stem from interpretations of condition of items for the money they are asking. Some are great bargains......some they are a little too proud of from what I could discern. It's kinda like a tech flea market.
04-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Never had a problem with this company, honestly don't know why they have a bad rating there, then again so did Abes of Maine when I ordered from them, now they have a good one. Never had a problem with them also. Honestly I think people expect to much.