Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Hi

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
Great thread. I and the fiancee are planning our honeymoon in Turkey and I am agonizing over which lenses to get for the trip. Currently I just have the 18*55 and 55*200. All of your advice to the OP has been very helpful to me.
Now I just have to make up my mind. Does anyone have experience with the Sigma 18-50 2.8?
I am sure this was discussed before (I cannot find where the threads are in here). In that thread, Sean (carpent) had stressed the preception of sharpness based on what the standard "sharpness" is etc.

I tried the lens before on canon body and I did not purchase the lens. Most of the experience are from readings (like similar to most lenses) are images "softer" wide open at extreme focal length. This lens does vignets a bit especially at 18mm. Bokeh are "tubular" or "linear" depending how you call it. Otherwise it is still a good lens to use.

Why don't you consider the forthcoming supersonic and weather sealed pentax 16-50mm f2.8?

Pentax rules

12-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kit 2

Travel light! The K100D with kit 2 and you can't go wrong. (I've travelled with the DL, Sig 18-125, Zenitar, FA50 1.4 - a good all round lightweight kit - but the most fun trip was with a Fuji F11 in the top pocket!)
12-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #18

I've heard bad things about the first generation Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. But I've heard good things about the new second gen Sigma 18-50f/2.8 MACRO - note the word "MACRO" which only the new one has. It's much sharper and an excellent performer from the review and pics I've seen. However all from non-Pentax bodies. I haven't heard much about it on a Pentax dslr. If you can wait, I'd definately go for the new Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 coming out.
12-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
On my last trip, I took two lenses: the FA24-90 and DA16-45. I found it useful to have zooms, and I picked which lens to use based on whether I expected to do a lot of wide shooting or tele. Having so much overlap kept lens changes to a minimum.

Of course, while I was there (in Singapore), Cathay Photo made me an offer on a DA14 that I couldn't pass up -- so I returned with three lenses!