Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any practical advice for a former K100D user?

Hello,

I will be moving from K100D to K10D today! The details and reasons of this is described elsewhere (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/13704-customer-care-pentax-europe.html). It is nothing technical really, no need to look at there...

K100D was my first digital SLR and I have spent some time to understand how to use it effectively and to practice. I have shot some 3000 images. I made mistakes and I learned from them.

I should be grateful for suggestions to help me in making a smooth transition. I am familiar with their differences "on paper". What I wonder are the practical differences, "do's and don'ts".
I was using mostly the Av mode on K100D and now I guess the P mode will be more suitable. I will "uncouple" the autofocus and the shutter...
Any other hints?

10-24-2007, 04:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yep, P mode is all you need most of the time. Make good use of the front e-dial, in combination with the rear very effective for quick usage of menus and adjusting 2 types of exposure settings. It's the thing I missed most when I had a K100D loaner for a week or so.
10-24-2007, 05:07 AM   #3

I have not done the move, but I have been thinking about it.
One question remains unanswered right now: Is there an equivalent to the "night scene portrait" or can the same goal be easily achieved otherwise?
10-24-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The K10D has NO "Scene Modes" It assumes the user knows a little about photography. Of course you can "achieve" a "night portrait". You just need to know how exposure works. Bryan Peterson has a great book called "Understanding Exposure"

If you're going to buy the K10D (or really ANY DSLR), you really should learn enough about photography to NOT need any scene modes.

QuoteOriginally posted by hessenwulf Quote
I have not done the move, but I have been thinking about it.
One question remains unanswered right now: Is there an equivalent to the "night scene portrait" or can the same goal be easily achieved otherwise?