Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Custom Image Settings

I have never played with the custom images settings until today. I see that I can change the saturation, high/low key, contrast etc.

Does anyone have an recommendation for what are good settings for these? LIke on teh BRIGHT setting or VIBRANT setting?

I was hoping i could shoot more close to a saturated real life image from the camera instead of having to pump it in post to reduce editing time.

Thanks!

03-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm about to explore those things in detail myself. However, I find that the photographs are too saturated usually and not like real life.
03-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best thing to do is to shoot a raw file and then play with the custom image settings in the Pentax software until you find some that you like. Then, apply them in your camera

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What Adam said. Use RAW development as a lab to find which setting s work best for you. Apply those settings to your camera. Now you can shoot RAW (preferably) or JPG, with predictable results. When shooting RAW, those settings will be carried into the development, as defaults. If the image looks good to you as-is, then just punch SAVE and be done with it. Or you can tweak the settings as needed for that image. Either way, you have a known baseline to work from.

03-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

"I was hoping i could shoot more close to a saturated real life image from the camera instead of having to pump it in post to reduce editing time."

Shooting in RAW defeats the OP's and my goals. Some of us want to get the shot right in-camera.
03-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #6

First of all, there is some variability within the same designation for each camera. For example, the *istDL default setting "Bright" is substantially oversaturated.....even beyond most point and shoots. The resulting images almost look toyish and therefore I always use "Natural" and it seems to render output much more close to "real life".

My understanding of the K-r (though I can't vouch for this....mine is being shipped!) is that the Bright setting is only slightly punchier than the Natural, so there may be more practical usage for the various settings.

Also, I would think there would be differences involving the other settings mentioned (contrast, etc.) that might affect each camera in the Pentax line (different types and sizes of sensors, how jpeg's are processed, etc.) Some of those settings might affect the image tone on a more subtle level, but a combination of differences could still be noticeable (not to mention how different lenses might react). Since you didn't mention which camera you own, it might be difficult to give the proper feedback accordingly.

Regardless, you may not ALWAYS get consistent results "in camera" (though the Pentax DSLR's are very good at getting as close as possible) depending on not just settings....but environmental conditions as well. So if your desire is to get a particular shot to look a certain way regardless.....you either have to be patient and wait for conditions to be more accomodating, learn more about how to manipulate the camera to adjust to the environment given (filters, experimenting with settings, etc.) or.....do a little post processing now and again.

Last edited by ccd333; 03-24-2011 at 05:29 PM.
03-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The same in camera presets and adjustments are also available in the Pentax digital camera utility software. What Adam and RioRico were saying is to shoot raw for some test shots, then play in the Pentax Software on computer to check different combinations out, and see which ones work for you. Then go to your camera and apply them for subsequent jpg shooting.

04-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adam, bleach bypass custom image setting on the K5 will not show up in DNG (my normal setting) in the CS4 ACR but it does in the thumbnail in the downloader and as a JPEG? Does this mean that it will show up only in the Pentax software - or is CS4 missing the plug-in?
I find bleach bypass really handy "in camera" as opposed to a PP step and it appears to work really well. I found this out from the Pentax.jp site in their sample K5 images. Also, their style of presentation of the K5 features is really well done.
PS: I'm away from my regular computer and don't have the pentax software.