Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Finally!!!!!

Well gang... I finally got'er done.. I order my DSLR yesterday and I should have it by Friday (fingers crossed)

I was just going to go for the K100D but there is a rebate out on the K100D Super Kit.. So the "kit" lense was only 30.00 more than the camera alone.. so that was no brainer.. and then with the rebate on the camera and the lense ($125.00).. it is the same price as the K100D ..

So I orderd the K100D Super... I CANT WAIT!!!!!

Is there anything I need to do to help break it in?? Or do I just shove that little ol SD card in there (along with some batteries of course) and start clickin???? IM sooo excited... its like Christmas a couple months early!!!!!!!!!!!

10-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Congratulations!

Ah, there are those moments, waiting the dear one and then finally the first intimate meeting

In this case - after the first gaze - you would want to start with manual, Chapter 2, Getting started, and then just shoot with all auto to get a feel to your gear.

Then you will want to begin experimenting with aperture shutter speed etc. soon enough..
10-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it too me and I'll break it in for you.
10-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Great to hear ; enjoy. But what have you been using then?

10-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Send it too me and I'll break it in for you.
What a giving forum.
There's actually a member willing to take the weeks or months required to break in someones new camera for them.

My usual rate for that is $300.00, what's yours

mtnbearhug,
the main thing to do is learn your camera.
There really is no break in period, bit I want to see at least 1 of the first 10 pictures from it posted.

Picture quality doesn't really mater with your first post.

So just go out there and have fun with it
10-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Should be here tomorrow afternoon!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Ah, there are those moments, waiting the dear one and then finally the first intimate meeting You crack me up... Although I have to admit I am almost more excited for getting my camera as I was when I met my bf!!!!

In this case - after the first gaze - you would want to start with manual, Chapter 2, Getting started, and then just shoot with all auto to get a feel to your gear. SWEEET.. thanks for the tip... !!
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Send it too me and I'll break it in for you. ARE you KIDDING!!!!!! OMG!! That would take an act of congress!!!!
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Great to hear ; enjoy. But what have you been using then? I have been using my zx-7 slr and scanning or getting by pictures developed to disk.... I can't wait to be able to take a picture and look at it right away!!! and say nay or YAH!!

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
What a giving forum. isn't it though... Can't you just feel the love!!!
There's actually a member willing to take the weeks or months required to break in someones new camera for them. My usual rate for that is $300.00, what's yours Well I would take a new K10 instead !!! hhheheh

mtnbearhug,
the main thing to do is learn your camera. There really is no break in period, bit I want to see at least 1 of the first 10 pictures from it posted. Well that means that you have to comment on it.. most my pics rarely gets comments.. deal???

So just go out there and have fun with it Oh I plan too.. It should be here actually the end of the day Thursday and I am going up to my boyfriends house for his birthday this weekend.. so that will be a fun time to play with it!

Thank you everyone for all the tips and comments!!

I have to say I am almost so excited I could pee my pants!!! hehehehe
10-24-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I hear ya. Well... actually this time around it wasn't as exciting as it was years ago when I purchased my first slr. Still... it's a heady experience to hold that new camera in your hands. You might want to ask yourself how much protection (if any) you want to provide. We opted for UV filters since we live near the ocean and we contend with salt spray and so forth. Besides, I can be careless at times and a $20 filter is more easily replaced that a lens. Secondly, we've been discussing protective sheets for the LCD screen. Some feel they're unnecessary and others (myself included) believe that it might be a wise investment, particularly given the fact that they are so inexpensive and (apparently) easily removed. So.... it's your call.

Oh... and have fun!
10-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I would suggest getting some good rechargeable batteries, at least 2 sets of 4, if you can find Sanyo Eneloops in your area, they come highly recommended. They cost a little more than the other brands, but believe me, they're worth the few extra $$$.

10-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats Mtnbearhug!!! You will love this camera. No more waiting around to get your pictures developed...priceless! Viewing them on your big ole monitor, wow. You're in for a treat:-). Oh, you are in for a treat!!!
10-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter

An Act of Congress.....is that all :ugh: some people around here could probably organise that!

So, congrats mtnbearhug, may I wish you all the best with your new toy. Condolences to your soon to be rejected boyfriend, hope he's happy playing second fiddle to a ....camera

I would suggest (strongly) that you hold your breath when you open the box....that's when a tiny little bit of the secret LBA gas is released and your hooked forever.

The advice to read the manual is so true, I reccommend doing it with the camera by your side and experiment, experiment, experiment...doesn't cost you a thing, other than your time.
10-24-2007, 11:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Mtnbearhug,

Have fun at your boyfriends place. It'll be the perfect time to play with your camera.
I'll suggest that you bring along a tripod, or even a jacket to set the camera on.
I'm thinking that a photo of the cake with some lit candles should look great, but you'll probably have to manually dial it in for the best results.

You've got a deal. I'll comment on your first pictures.

The easiest way to draw my attention to a thread is with a good thread title

My camera is only the K100D, however I might be able to give you a couple of tips after your first few pictures.

Although they might be stop taking such good photographs, your making us all look bad
10-25-2007, 10:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good info

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
I hear ya. Well... actually this time around it wasn't as exciting as it was years ago when I purchased my first slr. Still... it's a heady experience to hold that new camera in your hands. You might want to ask yourself how much protection (if any) you want to provide. We opted for UV filters since we live near the ocean and we contend with salt spray and so forth. Besides, I can be careless at times and a $20 filter is more easily replaced that a lens. Secondly, we've been discussing protective sheets for the LCD screen. Some feel they're unnecessary and others (myself included) believe that it might be a wise investment, particularly given the fact that they are so inexpensive and (apparently) easily removed. So.... it's your call.

Oh... and have fun!
James,

Thank you for the info... I never really thought about protecting my lenses in that way... I don't know why.. so thank you.. I will look into it for sure.. !!!

Kim
10-25-2007, 10:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its Here!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I would suggest getting some good rechargeable batteries, at least 2 sets of 4, if you can find Sanyo Eneloops in your area, they come highly recommended.

Actually I ordered my camera from BuyDig.com and they sent me 4 rechargable batteries plus a charger for free !!! They are NM batteries so hopefully wont be that bad.. I am still planning on trading in my zx-7 at my local store for all my accessories that I will need, so I will look in to those batteries then.. Thanks!!
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Congrats Mtnbearhug!!! You will love this camera. No more waiting around to get your pictures developed...priceless! Viewing them on your big ole monitor, wow. You're in for a treat:-). Oh, you are in for a treat!!!

Happy Halloween and no tricks just treats for me!!!!!! I have already been having a little fun!! I was here at lunch time so I spent my lunch tearing into everything and putting it all together and took my first couple pics!!!.. it is priceless to be able to see a pic right after you take it!!
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
An Act of Congress.....is that all :ugh: some people around here could probably organise that! that is only scary because it is probably true!!!

So, congrats mtnbearhug, may I wish you all the best with your new toy. Condolences to your soon to be rejected boyfriend, hope he's happy playing second fiddle to a ....camera I already told him the bad news... hehehe and his comment was "I can't wait to play with it".. I said.. "excuse me??? it's MY toy" heheheh He just laughed...
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Have fun at your boyfriends place. It'll be the perfect time to play with your camera. I plan to go on a BRIDGE hunt...

I'll suggest that you bring along a tripod, or even a jacket to set the camera on. good tip, I already have a tripod so I will be sure to bring it.. Thanks!!
I'm thinking that a photo of the cake with some lit candles should look great, but you'll probably have to manually dial it in for the best results. Sounds like a fun experiment!!! I will see what I can do!!

You've got a deal. I'll comment on your first pictures. SWEET.. I just got them posted.. my first and second fresh from the box no more than 10 min..

My camera is only the K100D, however I might be able to give you a couple of tips after your first few pictures. Are you seriouse.. those awesome pics you take are with a K100?? OH my gosh.. There is still hope for me!!! I do truely love your pics.......
Thanks for words and wisdom all.. I'm off for the weekend to be click happy!!!!
10-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Have you also thought about your camera bag? I hadn't but shortly after I put in my order for our cameras, my wife announced that she had ordered two Lowe Pro sling bags. They arrived several days after our cameras did, so our first outing was without the bags. I quickly discovered that I had been negligent in not thinking about the importance of having the bags since it rained during our walk and we had to stuff our cameras inside our jackets and make a run for the car.

If you have not considered a bag yet, I strongly urge you to take a look at the Lowe Pro sling bag. It's just an awesome bag and so comfortable and easy to use (and not really that expensive... ours were $85 through Adorama). You can pull on the strap and bring the bag from your back to your front without removing it, access the contents of the bag and you're good to go.

Hope you have a great outing. We're anxious to show some of our shots here... hopefully this weekend.
10-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh... I should have added... if you are going to take a look at the Lowe Pro, look at the 200 since it will have enough room for additional lenses.

All the best to you.