Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #1

SD Cards

With all the different classes for SD cards, the question is will they work in all cameras or does the camera have to have firmware update to accept a new class? I'm sure this has come up before but could not find the thread.

03-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You'd only have to worry about whether or not you need to upgrade your firmware (or even if you can) is when changing from SD to SDHC to SDXC.

For example, I think it was the K200D that needed a firmware update to go from SD to SDHC.

Meanwhile, the K-5 needed a firmware update to accept SDXC. Unfortunately older cameras can't get a firmware update to use SDXC since they don't have the hardware to support the standard.

You don't need firmware updates to use different speed Classes in standards you can already use. For example, if you're using Class 6 cards, you're free to use Class 10... and Class 12 (if they were to come out with one tomorrow). The Classes for these cards just indicate the the theoretical maximum write/read speed they're capable of, which doesn't effect your camera - apart from making it speedy or fast, depending on what you buy
03-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. and thanks for a quick reply.
03-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
The Classes for these cards just indicate the the theoretical maximum write/read speed they're capable of, which doesn't effect your camera - apart from making it speedy or fast, depending on what you buy
That's not correct. The classes designate the minimum sustained write speed. Though there is a lot of variability within brands in general.....and also how each brand might perform in a particular camera. So the "theoretical" part of your statement still rings true in many cases.

Last edited by ccd333; 03-24-2011 at 04:59 PM.
03-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

would be a lot easier if the read/write speed of the buffer was revealed.
03-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
would be a lot easier if the read/write speed of the buffer was revealed.
Speaking of the K-7, the write-up speed of the camera buffer is very fast, much faster than a class 10 (30 Mb/s) card, provided that you switch off all in-camera PP.

I did a number of test with hi bursts (5 fps) and I could never fault the buffer. each time, the problem the card being to slow to write up the files, or some in-camera PP that slowed down the camera CPU.

Food for thoughts...
03-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Forum Member

Does the K-7 perform any better (in continuous or video mode) with 30 mb/s than with 20 mb/s SDHC cards(e.g. Extreme Sandisk III vs II) ? Or is the SD-X II as fast as the processor can use to any advantage ? There is a big cost bump from class 6 to class 10 so I want to know if there is any practical gain ? Thanks...
03-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atown Quote
Does the K-7 perform any better (in continuous or video mode) with 30 mb/s than with 20 mb/s SDHC cards(e.g. Extreme Sandisk III vs II) ? Or is the SD-X II as fast as the processor can use to any advantage ? There is a big cost bump from class 6 to class 10 so I want to know if there is any practical gain ? Thanks...
I did a quick informal test using my old class 4 Kingston 4GB card and noticed that during continuous shooting the shots slowed down pretty quick. I bought two class 10 SanDisk extreme 8GB cards and have had zero issues with shooting FPS or movies. I have never owned or used a class 6 card, but if I were to buy one for my K7 it would be a SanDisk extreme, they are awesome cards.

I imagine that you should be okay with a class 6 SanDisk extreme for up to a dozen shots of continuous shooting JPEGS, and any movie issues would be at the highest quality settings. This may not be the case though, so hopefully someone can help you out. If neither of those are important to you than you should be fine. However, the fact that you are asking these questions means you are probably like me and would be better off with a class 10 card. It's money well spent IMHO.