Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Thinking about upgrading my K110D, suggestions please..

Hi guys, I am an happy owner of a K110D..
I bought it used about two years ago,and it serviced me very well, but I found that either for economical reasons either for "love" I mainly use manual focus lenses but I have a problem...I shake a lot...
Would a "shake reduction" featured pentax help?
I though about K-x/K-r (assuming that I can sell my K110D+Sigma 18-55+Tamrom 70-300 for 300eur +-), but it is a lot of money for the pics that I take, are there any used pentax that worth the changing?
For example, I saw a k200D with kit lens for 230eur (old ad).
With manual lens will I take any advantage with the newer k-x/k-r?
Thanks for your help

03-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shake reduction is effective, skinnie, and can shave a couple of stops and as you move up the line you notice the iso IQ can allow you a higher shutter speed. Best bet though would be to handle the equipment yourself. I use manuals on my istDs and K20d and the K200d is similar in many ways. But how about a little more work with a tripod or 'Gorillapod' if you don't want to be too obvious. The latter should give you enough support in enough places to get by.
03-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Shake reduction will definitely help you, and as jac pointed out, so will the high ISO image-quality of the Kx/Kr as this will allow higher shutter speeds. I, too, have a bit of a shake and SR was one of the biggest reasons for me to originally choose Pentax several years ago.
03-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Shake reduction is effective, skinnie, and can shave a couple of stops and as you move up the line you notice the iso IQ can allow you a higher shutter speed. Best bet though would be to handle the equipment yourself. I use manuals on my istDs and K20d and the K200d is similar in many ways. But how about a little more work with a tripod or 'Gorillapod' if you don't want to be too obvious. The latter should give you enough support in enough places to get by.
Thanks for the help I reckon I should learn some techniques, but a tripod won't be very good for me...I don't like very much the idea of transporting one...
The gorillapod is a good idea, but there are situations where I don't have a place to "hold it".

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Shake reduction will definitely help you, and as jac pointed out, so will the high ISO image-quality of the Kx/Kr as this will allow higher shutter speeds. I, too, have a bit of a shake and SR was one of the biggest reasons for me to originally choose Pentax several years ago.
Thanks for the feedback, I was afraid of "shake reduction" was only a "marketing technique"
I'll start saving for a k-x/k-r and looking for good deals.
I have a doubt,does pentax have any type of internation warranty?
For example, in computers, if I buy a Apple Macbook in Portugal, I have 1 year international warranty (no proof of purchase needed) and another year for portugal (need the proof of purchase).
If pentax had something like that, maybe I would ask a friend to buy it on Uk or even Canada and bring me the camera when they get back to Portugal.
Sorry for my english

03-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm not really the guy to help you there. Not sure about the international warranty. I'm sure someone here will know, though.
03-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SR is definitely not just a marketing ploy. It works and works well, particularly on the newer bodies. If you like the K100D, you'll like the K-x or K-r - slightly different button layout without the Fn key, but very good once you know the typical keystrokes to get where you want to go.

For warranty, I'm also not going to be very helpful, but if you're buying from a local retailer, they should have at least a 1 year warranty to cover the camera equipment they sell.
06-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi guys, I finally managed to sell my K110D with lenses for 290eur
I was thinking about spending 350-380eur in a used body (if it comes with lens better).
So far in my country I've found the following deals:

k20D Body - 360eur
K200D + 18-200 - 400eur (this is the lens that I "need", when not using MF lenses)
K200D Body (ebay) - 245eur
K-x body - 305eur (ebay)

Any opinions?
thanks

Last edited by skinnie; 06-27-2011 at 01:46 PM.
06-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I had the same situation as you - A K110D and shaky hands. I upgraded to a K200d. The SR is a significant improvement.
06-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joebob Quote
I had the same situation as you - A K110D and shaky hands. I upgraded to a K200d. The SR is a significant improvement.
Thanks a lot.Any idea if the prices are any good?
06-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I bought it 7 months ago for around $300 US with the kit lens. It seemed like a good deal.
06-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Sorry to get off topic but if I'm 'jac' and you're 'jac', are we cloned? I do have an ist and a K20d, etc., but I didn't post here earlier.
06-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joebob Quote
I bought it 7 months ago for around $300 US with the kit lens. It seemed like a good deal.
that's a good deal..
With the prices I'm seeing I think I'm going to the K20D@360eur (with 3 original batteries),althought the K200 ability to take AA is holding me..