Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #1

K10D Owns Canon 40D on Raw!

Canon EOS 40D Review: 26. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

There isn't a single camera on the market which gains so much by shooting RAW and using Adobe Camera RAW to convert its images than the K10D. The difference is night and day and indeed the K10D in this comparison trumps the EOS 40D for detail which hints perhaps that Pentax are using a sensor with a lighter anti-alias filter (although if you look at some of the crops you can see some demosaicing artifacts).

almost a year after its release its still kicking ass. Go Pentax!

10-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldnt say "owns" and anyway they are both 10mpix dSLRs, am not that surprised the sharpness is very similar. But the default jpegs of the k10d are horrible as usual. its more interesting to compare other things such as iso noise, af speed, body features, controls, ergonomics.
10-24-2007, 11:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I wouldnt say "owns" and anyway they are both 10mpix dSLRs, am not that surprised the sharpness is very similar. But the default jpegs of the k10d are horrible as usual. its more interesting to compare other things such as iso noise, af speed, body features, controls, ergonomics.
i say pentax owns 40D on raw is, first the price almost half the price of the 40D, but think about it the real image quality is on raw not the jpeg so to other people jpeg matters.

but Raw is raw and even dpreview says "trump" 40D.
10-24-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I absolutely not agree with you. K10D jpegs are very good.
Take alook at these two crops. Which one is better?

10-24-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

on the white wall in the background the second picture has much more texture detail (the little white bumps in the wall).. Also the ridges in the bottle cap (top edge) are more pronounced in the second image..

Did I win???
10-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

the default jpegs of the k10d are horrible as usual.
I wouldn't say that. It really depends upon who's using the camera, and how they shoot.
Full Auto might not be the best, but how many people here actually use auto after they figure out exposure

QuoteQuote:
its more interesting to compare other things such as iso noise, af speed, body features, controls, ergonomics.
No arguments there Andreas

I'm not going to say that any Pentax camera is perfect, but they do their job as good as the rest.
I'd be taking the same quality pictures with either a Canon or Nikon, although I would have paid a lot more.
10-24-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote

I like the color on the bottom picture better Edvinas.

10-25-2007, 06:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

the battle between pentax and canon has been solved at my camera store. We shot 10 identical images using the same settings and compareable lenses.in every test pentax has proven to show more detail and doesn't get all jotted like the a700 or 40d. I've shot with every canon camera and compared them to equivelant pentax gear and pentax is still better except in low ISO noise but after one pass in noise ninja pentax looks better than the 40d again. I have images at the store for that too. The 40d wins in the area of Fps, at speed but not by much cause its accuracy is questionable at times and total first party lens lineup. 40d is a joke in terms of whizbang features, wow look at my large low contrast non highdef screen with non autofocusing live view. Still not weathersealed no multiple exposures no antishake in body no hyperprogram with quick reset button no weathersealed battery grip no wireless flash without an extra attachment not as bright of a viewfinder and still not at 11 autofocus points. I guess ill use my inferior camera and shoot some stellar images as i always do.
10-25-2007, 07:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm too new to provide an opinion of worth but from the jpegs both my wife and I have made, we're more than satisfied with the resulting images.

Personally, I think these comparisons are worthless. There are so many other factors involved that helped us make our decision to go with the Pentax over the Nikon and the Canon (and the Olympus!). We could have had any of these but chose Pentax and we're definitely glad we did. And that does not denigrate these other fine camera makers. It simply means that these other factors (ergonomics, dust-removal, weather-resistance, shake reduction, cost of system and so forth) swayed Pentax in our favor.

All the bes.
10-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I like the color on the bottom picture better Edvinas.
I think I like the colours on the top one more; they're brighter. But the image is a tad softer than the bottom one, which retains more details (as was already pointed out further up).

I suspect the bottom pic is the 40D, and the top one the K10D. However, is the difference worth $600? Not to me it isn't! :-)

By the way, between the 1st and 2nd shots, the photographer took a swig of that bottle, you can tell by the cap. I suspect there was whiskey in that there bottle, and this could affect the test results.
10-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #11
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dancel Quote
i say pentax owns 40D on raw is, first the price almost half the price of the 40D, but think about it the real image quality is on raw not the jpeg so to other people jpeg matters.
Yes its cheaper, my point is, the imagequality is about the same, I would not change from k10d to 40d or 40d to k10d based on the image quality. Its the other features that are more interesting, faster af, iso performance, sync speed etc.

You can say the 40d default jpeg certainly "owned" the k10d jpegs in that test, I mean they looked to bad I start to wonder if the lens was not focused or something because I cant believe it should be so bad.
10-25-2007, 07:52 AM   #12
and
Veteran Member

hehehe, its fun to stir the pot, but dont get too riled up. k10d can produce good jpegs too, if you change the settings around a bit.

What we are talking about is not the general issue of k10d jpegs that has been discussed to death.

Im not saying I like the 40d better either, I wouldnt buy one if my gear was stolen and I got insurance money to buy new gear all over again.

what I was pointing out is that in the comparison in that test
Canon EOS 40D Review: 24. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review
the 40d jpegs are better, not all hard to see. of course the k10d jpegs looks like all they need is a bit of usm, but it shouldnt be nescesary. the k100d jpegs on the other hand were fine, strange why they didnt do the same for the k10d.

but, calm down. I dont even like the 40d
10-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #13
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2nd pic appears to have better focus; most noticeable to me on the bottle cap, then everywhere else a second or two later. Unless we know the manner the lens was focused on both, using some template with focus done manually, and lenses operating at their optimal f-stops on both, I for one don't know I could trust the difference in the shots to processing, vs. lens focus & f-stop.

Last edited by m8o; 10-25-2007 at 09:51 AM.
10-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
I'm too new to provide an opinion of worth but from the jpegs both my wife and I have made, we're more than satisfied with the resulting images.

Personally, I think these comparisons are worthless. There are so many other factors involved that helped us make our decision to go with the Pentax over the Nikon and the Canon (and the Olympus!). We could have had any of these but chose Pentax and we're definitely glad we did. And that does not denigrate these other fine camera makers. It simply means that these other factors (ergonomics, dust-removal, weather-resistance, shake reduction, cost of system and so forth) swayed Pentax in our favor.

All the bes.
Could not agree more.

I find my K10D gives very good jpegs out of the camera, as a matter of fact i have to do less sharpening on them than with my istD.

I also shoot the D1 and D1H and find those cameras have sharper out of camera images than my D2H and D200, and i need to do less post processing with the Pentax images aswell.

Buy a camera from what ever manufacturer you feel gives you the best of what you need in a camera. The K10D fits me like a glove and makes a much better walk around stealthy camera than the D2H etc.

DAVE
10-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #15
Inactive Account

It remains fascinating though, that the dpreview review of the K10D summed it up as "Highly recommended (just)" compared to the Canon 40D's straight "Highly recommended".