Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2007, 12:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
540 flash w/k10d and manual lens w/o A position on aper ring

I am having some trouble with my 540 flash on my k10d and manual lenses in ttl mode. It over exposes every time. does anyone know how to get a proper exposure with this setup and why ttl/p-ttl is not working???

10-25-2007, 12:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qksilver Quote
I am having some trouble with my 540 flash on my k10d and manual lenses in ttl mode. It over exposes every time. does anyone know how to get a proper exposure with this setup and why ttl/p-ttl is not working???
P-TTL would not work with manual lenses - it would only fire full power each time. And K10D does not support old TTL system.

Use "Auto" flash mode in your 540 and set the aperture accordingly.
10-25-2007, 12:56 AM   #3
and
Site Supporter

k10d only supports p-ttl and Im not sure if that will work with non-A lenses. and at any rate those lenses only support spot metering if I am not mistaken. maybe using A mode on the flash will help.
10-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #4
and
Site Supporter

4 views and 2 replies, is this forum fast or what

10-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #5

...or full of experts on Pentax gear
10-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
k10d only supports p-ttl and Im not sure if that will work with non-A lenses. and at any rate those lenses only support spot metering if I am not mistaken. maybe using A mode on the flash will help.
Older lenses can be used in spot or center-weighted average (default mode for non-A lenses).

Like everyone said, no P-TTL support fpor non-A lenses since evaluative metering doesn't work.

Try this: take the camera to M mode and select an appropriate ISO (say 400), then an appropriate shutter speed and aperture (choose them as close as possible to what you'd have to do without flash for a correct balancing of flash and ambient, I usualy select the aperture and press the green button for straters), turn the flash on and choose the AUTO mode (non p-ttl and uses the in flash cell to calculate exposure), dial in the ISO and aperture from the camera (and also the focal length I think) and you should be set.

The flash should display the min and max distance of illumination, don'"t come closer or you'll burn your subject (adjust ISO or aperture down if it's the case).

Hope this helps.