Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #1

K20D firmware up date

Hi All

I started thinking today, that perhaps I should update my K20's firmware from the original 1.01 version. I checked, and saw that everyone that updated their firmware from this version was very happy, especially the shakers. My question is,as I am technology challanged, what is the steps for doing it? How do I get the firm ware onto my camera without messing everything up? DO I download the firmware to my pc and then to my camera? Or do I download it from the internet to a memory card?
Jakes

03-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't worry, it's easy !

I guess, it's the same as my K-x, so you have to download the latest firmware, to put it on your memory card (that has been formated by the DSLR before). put some fully charged batteries on your K20D, then the memory card. Start your K20D, and immediatly push a specifique bouton (i can't remember wich one), then it will ask "do you want to update ?", the "Yes", then wait. 2 minutes later it's done.

Then re-format memory card.

Done
03-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jakes Quote
Hi All

I started thinking today, that perhaps I should update my K20's firmware from the original 1.01 version. I checked, and saw that everyone that updated their firmware from this version was very happy, especially the shakers. My question is,as I am technology challanged, what is the steps for doing it? How do I get the firm ware onto my camera without messing everything up? DO I download the firmware to my pc and then to my camera? Or do I download it from the internet to a memory card?
Jakes
The Firmware comes as an executable compressed file that has both the BIN file and a TXT readme file. The latter will contain instructions for installation and notes on the updates. Download the file to your PC and run the file. Copy the resulting .BIN file to your card in its Root directory (you should see the file and the DCIM directory). If you want to be sure, format the card in your computer but I've never found that necessary.

Put the card in your camera
MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS COMPLETELY CHARGED
Press the menu button while turning on the camera
Answer Yes to the question that pops up

Go do something else for about 3 minutes so you are not tempted to play with buttons during the update.

When finished, the screen will say Completed and the red card access light near the card door will be flashing. Turn the camera off, remove the BIN file from the card, and go back to enjoying your K20d.

Good luck..

03-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I wil do this today.
Jakes