Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 03:52 AM   #46
Veteran Member

I'm going to play devils advocate here...

Why is everyone so quick to blame the person switching brands? Maybe its because they simply just have come to prefer the other brand? Or they have a bad experience with one brand and want to move on to try the other? Or maybe since they bought that brand their knowledge has increased and find that the particular brand they started of with doesn't really do it for them because of certain deficiencies/bugs/defects. Maybe they find that the training wheels on the other brands work better and find using those brands easier to use/learn with.

Just because you chose one brand to start with doesn't meant you have to stick with that brand for the rest of your life. It's not a jail sentence. It's a free world. I don't see what the issue is, its not like by switching brands they are harming you in anyway. If anything they probably increase supply in the 2nd hand market and lower the price.

03-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #47

Photos: Albums
I have been a "switcher". I went from Pentax (K100) to Canon (40D) to Pentax (K20) to Nikon (D90) and finally, back to Pentax (K5). For me its been for a few reasons. I will readily admit that I am a bit of a gadget guy. I am new to photography (relatively) and as I learned more about photography, my likes and dislikes, shooting style, etc. I tried different systems. I don't regret any of them. I kind of wish I would have gone from the 40D to the D90 and then to the K20, but I never invested heavily in any of the systems, was able to unload my equipment for reasonably good prices and enjoyed my time with each camera. These days, the K5 suits me perfectly. I found that I really enjoy outdoor shooting, sports, etc. and the weather sealing on the K5 will let me maximize that over the next several years. I plan to invest in the Pentax system now, and having been through the other brands, no longer wonder if I am missing something. Not sure why this bothers some people?
03-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest, after 3 1/2 years, I'm just now getting to know my K10D and getting the best from it. It takes a while to learn all the in's and out's and also the the qualities of various lenses. A pro who uses his camera all day every day can come to a conclusion very quickly about whether or not a camera is right for his needs. Pro's generally don't switch brands often unless he needs a feature his current brand doesn't have. For the rest of us, it's going to take a while. I think people make too many decisions about their cameras based on results in auto modes and default settings and never take the time to learn. Every DSLR made is capable of awesome images. A camera owner who can't get a good shot on a Pentax isn't going to get one on a Nikon either.