Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
they are called early adopters, they adopt whatever is new and has pretty lights in the viewfinder...they don't care if it is any good at what it is designed to do...they just want it.
Early adopters are often early (and frequent) complainers.

03-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
So why do people buy one brand, keep it for a couple of years...then go to something completely different ?
I just realized I assumed this question is about those that made a more significant investment in a brand before switching - i.e. someone who purchased a camera and more than a couple kit lenses.

For people buying a camera and a kit lens and then stopping there, I think they simply purchase SLRs as P&Ss - they don't really get the idea of interchangeable lenses - when they think it's time to buy something new, they just look for what is the top recommended camera in consumer's report and buy that.
03-27-2011, 03:44 AM   #18

This is very funny thread! All these assumptions about people. Very good!!

So far I have used German and Soviet 35mm rangerfinders, Japanese 35mm compacts, Olympus, Canon, Pentax and Nikon DSLRs, all in the space of a few years!!

I love photography and am confident in my own abilities. I have learnt loads in a short space of time and have heaps more to learn.

Why do I change brands? Because I can, and it's enjoyable, do I use the cameras to their full potential? No way, buts it's a hobby and I really enjoy it.

Will I switch again? Yes, to Pentax? Maybe.. the K7 was the camera that made me want shoot the most, just wasnt too happy with the ISO.

Enjoy your cameras and lenses, thats why we have them, the K7 and no doubt the K5 are great bodies.

Unfortunately the lenses (primes) were a bit too expensive for me, so I didnt get to own or shoot with them, although many of the captures I see look fantastic.

For what its worth I have a Nikon D300s ($1200 - refurb), 85mm 1.8 ($320 - as new), 50mm 1.8 ($110 - new) and a 35mm 1.8 ($200 - new). Yes folks $630 for three fast primes.

I have two Nikon flashes also.

I'll keep using these until feel like a change.

Shoot me down if you will, but I'm just telling it like it is.
03-27-2011, 04:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

On the other hand, I never really understood why so many think "brand loyalty" is some sort of heroic badge to wear. Frankly, I dont care who makes what as long as it fits my wants and needs.

Jason

03-27-2011, 04:07 AM   #20

Jason, I tend to agree with you and I guess that's where I'm coming from. It's making the image and enjoying the process.

Personally I keep tabs on all the manufacturers to see whats out there (not so much Oly anymore as they seem to be giving up), hence I still read Pentax Forums.

I think the other thing that comes into play is that in todays world even a fairly expensive DSLR is soon dated because of all the follow up releases (and Pentax play this game too), so if, like me, funds are limited, you have to shop around before you loose too much on the camera body you own. Does that make sense?
03-27-2011, 05:29 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something no one has mentioned yet is sensors

In the past if you weren't happy you changed films. There was a lot of variety and you could change the look with new different films as they came out without changing your lens. Now people that want the latest and greatest change systems as opposed to waiting 3-6 months for their system to catch up

The other reason has been covered pretty well already, as it is the greatest myth in photography. people think "better equipment" makes them a better photographer.
03-27-2011, 05:47 AM   #22

I quite believe that there are those people put there who think that it is the equipment that will improve their photography, maybe thats true in some cases?

I think that for some, a change in camera body, whether made by the same company or a different one, will assist their photography, others may need to analyse what it is that are trying to correct in the first place.

03-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #23
Pentaxian

There was also a lot of brand switching in the late 70s early 80s with people trying to find the 'best' auto-exposure system. there is nothing wrong with changing brands if the brand you have does not provide you with what you need whether that be long fast lenses, super wides or a more robust larger body. And there is nothing wrong with staying with a single brand and instead of spending money switching you keep investing (using that word not in the sense of expecting an increase in the value of your money that you inputted into them but more like the investment you make in a good relationship in that you want to get the most out of it) in lenses etc.

In the film days there were also people constantly switching films and or developers chasing that silver bullet; that something that in itself will make them a better photographer. Now trying out different cameras/films/developers/formats etc does make it interesting for some people and should result in that person finding the one that is right for themselves. For myself having tried and still using several film camera formats I have found the one for me which is the Hasselblad 500 system. Without the opportunity of trying it out I would never have know that.

But if one is buying one brand with the kit lens and then another brand and kit lens and back to the first brand before trying out the third brand are they really exploring either what they need or what the brands can offer? Those are the ones I do not think are moving about due to needs other than the need to take better pictures which the constant changing will not achieve. To change brands for a need is a totally different thing.

But at the same time I also do not understand the need to upgrade each time your company comes out with a new model. There is a K5 on the horizon to supplement our K10D but there was not a K20D or K7 in between and the major reason for the new camera is to have two Pentax bodies as there are two of us to use them.
03-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #24

Not new to photography (Fuji S9100 'bridge type camera/manual mode) but new to DSLR's in 2010,

With no particular brand in mind, I decided on a K-x a year ago simply
because it used AA batteries, been more than pleased with the great low-light
performance but the autofocus accuracy was a little disapointing. (tweeked the DEBUG_MENU since then)
Great value for an 'entry-level' camera compared to the competition I later discovered.

Not being brand loyal, a found the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC MACRO cost/IQ/build quality
a good choice for my nightime action shots (urban firegrounds scenes), soon added a DA 12-24mm f4 to
my kit to better cover the wider scenes. I prefer not to use any SDM / HSM lenses.

There is always a high risk of equipment damage in what I do, cost of replacement is a factor.

Now, if ever all my equipment was to get stolen/damaged,
I perhaps would consider moving to a Canon T2 / T3 or 60D.

The reason, the Sigma lens is equally available in Canon mount, plus the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
(not available in Pentax mount) in my opinion would be better suited than the DA 12-24mm f4
for my type of photography with it's faster f2.8 aperture and is also priced lower.

Also a thought, if ever urgent gear replacement was necessary,
Canon / Nikon third party lenses & accessories on-the-shelf availability is a big plus,
it seems less and less Pentax-mount stuff is being stocked locally, available on order only.

But for now, still hoping to keep my current Pentax stuff in service for a long time.

Michel

Last edited by mlatour; 03-27-2011 at 10:20 AM.
03-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #25
Banned

DSLR sensors have reached the performance point where they're good enough for the lifetime of the camera three years ago. There's no longer any need to upgrade your camera unless your photography requires a feature that is only provided by a new model.
03-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chillibones Quote

So far I have used German and Soviet 35mm rangerfinders, Japanese 35mm compacts, Olympus, Canon, Pentax and Nikon DSLRs, all in the space of a few years!!

I love photography and am confident in my own abilities. I have learnt loads in a short space of time and have heaps more to learn.

Why do I change brands? Because I can, and it's enjoyable, do I use the cameras to their full potential? No way, buts it's a hobby and I really enjoy it.

Will I switch again? Yes, to Pentax? Maybe.. the K7 was the camera that made me want shoot the most, just wasnt too happy with the ISO.

Enjoy your cameras and lenses, thats why we have them, the K7 and no doubt the K5 are great bodies.

Unfortunately the lenses (primes) were a bit too expensive for me, so I didnt get to own or shoot with them, although many of the captures I see look fantastic.

For what its worth I have a Nikon D300s ($1200 - refurb), 85mm 1.8 ($320 - as new), 50mm 1.8 ($110 - new) and a 35mm 1.8 ($200 - new). Yes folks $630 for three fast primes.

All well and good, but it still comes down to equipment versus skills. If you aren't getting the shots you want, you have two choices upgrade your skills, or upgrade your equipment.

It is reasonable to step up a step with regard to your camera body and lenses within a given system. Unfortunately, what a lot of people do is rather than move up (say from a D300s to a D3s), they do a side step and get a 7D and sell all of their Nikon equipment and continue to get similar results.
03-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #27
McG
Inactive Account

I am a novice at best and agree that most of the equation is the person behind the viewfinder rather than the equipment, but having the right tool for the job also helps. I am switching to Canon for a few reasons:

1. More interested in video than stills. Purchased a 60D which is good for it's video capabilities.

2. I could actually go to a store and physically hold the 60D. Couldn't do that before I bought a KX.

3. Frustrated with the KX problem with the battery bug. Downloaded the firmware update and it still didn't help.

4. A lot more people have Canon lenses so it's easier to borrow or purchase used.

5. If I wanted to get one, availability of a full frame camera.

6. I don't have a lot of money invested into my Pentax gear. I am getting an adaptor for the 5 primes I have and sell the KX and kit lens. I will have to invest in good rechargeable batteries before I sell the KX and hope that works so someone else doesn't get a camera that can take 20 shots before you have to turn it off and on to work.

The reason I first chose Pentax was the reputation for the lenses and not everyone had one. Also the low cost of the KX to get into DSLR photography. My needs have changed so that's why I am going over to the dark side. By the quality of a lot of photos on this site, Pentax is good gear. I just happened to choose a camera with problems.
03-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chillibones Quote

Unfortunately the lenses (primes) were a bit too expensive for me,When you said you switch brands "Because I can"....I assumed you meant you had the cash flow to do so, but with this follow up statement, I'm confused, as to what you meant by because you can ? so I didnt get to own or shoot with them, although many of the captures I see look fantastic.

Not shooting you down. I have Pentax, Canon, Leica, Mamiya, Yashicamat, Zeiss-Ikon, etc.....but I've accumulated them over 40 years and I only have two systems...one a medium format film (Mamiya) and the other digital dslr/film slr...Pentax.

I'm talking about those...many new to photography...say 3-5 years or so...that for example, started out with Sony, then have Canon...then Nikon comes out with something new and they're convinced that this new Nikon is the way to go...so they dump their Canon 60D, Canon wide angle, zoom, telephoto zoom, 50 Macro, 430 flash and replace it after having it only for a year or so, with the latest Nikon D7000 and Nikon equivalent lenses and flash to the Canon equipment they just dumped...at a significant loss.

In many cases they haven't learned how to use the fine Canon equipt...they just dumped, thinking that somehow the Nikon stuff will make them a better photographer.
03-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
On the other hand, I never really understood why so many think "brand loyalty" is some sort of heroic badge to wear. Frankly, I dont care who makes what as long as it fits my wants and needs.

Jason
But brand loyalty isn't the issue in this thread. I's switching from one brand to another, to another....because one thinks somehow Brand X has it all over brands Y+Z. When maybe the issue is the photographer.
03-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by McG Quote
6. I don't have a lot of money invested into my Pentax gear. I am getting an adaptor for the 5 primes I have and sell the KX and kit lens. I will have to invest in good rechargeable batteries before I sell the KX and hope that works so someone else doesn't get a camera that can take 20 shots before you have to turn it off and on to work.
That Kx bug is strange...mine works great with a set of high quality Varta i got...you should see if it isn't your Batteries/charger that are faulty.
(The firmware fixed my litle problems with the battery issue).