Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #31

Battery choice is critical in a K-x, common rechargeable Energizers and Duracells
simply don't cut it. I've had great luck with Ansmann 2850mAh NiMH's.

Double the price of common NiMH AA's, 30$ or so for 4 at the local camera shop, pricey but well worth it.
My set as been in service for a year, thru winter use too and shows no signs of performance loss.

I'm using a semi-cheap Energizer charger to recharge them too,
keeping all those batteries as spares and for accessories like the flash.

Michel

Last edited by mlatour; 03-27-2011 at 06:34 PM.
03-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
Battery choice is critical in a K-x, common rechargeable Energizers and Duracell's
simply don't cut it. I've had great luck with Ansmann 2850mAh NiMH's.

Double the price of common NiMH AA's, 30$ or so for 4 at the local camera shop, pricey but well worth it.
My set as been in service for a year, thru winter use too and shows no signs of performance loss.

I'm using a semi-cheap Energizer charger to recharge them too,
keeping all those batteries as spares and for accessories like the flash.

Michel
Maybe you should post your battery concerns on another thread....this is about another subject.
03-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Maybe you should post your battery concerns on another thread....this is about another subject.
Previous posts mentionned one K-x user's problems with poor
battery performance, even considering selling his camera because of it.
Off subject perhaps, but maybe a bit of battery infos may change his mind.

Michel
03-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #34
McG
Inactive Account

My battery concern was a small part of my post which was relevant to this subject. A couple of people just trying to help, not hijack this thread.

03-27-2011, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Not shooting you down. I have Pentax, Canon, Leica, Mamiya, Yashicamat, Zeiss-Ikon, etc.....but I've accumulated them over 40 years and I only have two systems...one a medium format film (Mamiya) and the other digital dslr/film slr...Pentax.

I'm talking about those...many new to photography...say 3-5 years or so...that for example, started out with Sony, then have Canon...then Nikon comes out with something new and they're convinced that this new Nikon is the way to go...so they dump their Canon 60D, Canon wide angle, zoom, telephoto zoom, 50 Macro, 430 flash and replace it after having it only for a year or so, with the latest Nikon D7000 and Nikon equivalent lenses and flash to the Canon equipment they just dumped...at a significant loss.

In many cases they haven't learned how to use the fine Canon equipt...they just dumped, thinking that somehow the Nikon stuff will make them a better photographer.
Thats ok I put myself 'out there' to be shot!

I totally understand the 'different camera make won't fix the lack of skill' idea. And I agree, but I do think that people changing brands is probably more about 'the way we are today'

To me it was about getting a camera that felt right, I've had the Olympus e420, I loved it, but it was too small, then came the Canon 450D, again, a great camera but too plastic, then the Pentax K7, nicely built and it had the 'use me' factor but the ISO and lens cost was'nt right. Now I have the Nikon D300s, built like a tank, and the 'extras' are affordable.

So I have ended up with this Nikon because it has the build quality I desire, the lenses and flashes etc are affordable to me, and it's easy to work with.

If the K7 didnt have the ISO issue and the primes were within my reach I would have stayed with Pentax. I'd certainly consider a return in the future.

All the DSLRs I have owned have produced excellent images, the method I used to get them may have been tweaked for each brand, i.e. low ISO or manual focus, but as I said earlier I'm still learning, I know now that high ISO (to me anyway) is over rated so if I went back to a K7, for example, It would not be the percieved issue it was for me last year. I used manual focus a lot with the K7 (A series lenses), but with the D300s I have'nt felt the need.
03-28-2011, 01:35 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never really understood this either. When it comes to computers, TVs, stereo equipment and similar I have switched but as for my camera, I have many Pentax mount lenses and have become extremely comfortable with my Kx and would never consider changing brands. To me learning a camera (especially a SLR) is like wearing in a leather jacket or a recliner. You wear it, use it and make it your own until it fits you and you know it inside and out. As for other electronics like computers, TVs and stereo equipment those are universal (for the most part) and switching brands makes almost zero difference. But I guess to each his own. Some people find comfort in changing and others find it in staying with one.
03-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chillibones Quote
f the K7 didnt have the ISO issue and the primes were within my reach
True what you say about Canikon...they have "comformist" lenses at a good price...Pentax only has the DA 35mm all the rest are top of the line, and you pay for what you get. One thing you did not consider is to buy third party workhorse lenses and save until you can get the primes, slowly,one at a time...
I think that those who migrate in the way lesmore indicates just got enough resources and have fallen to a "gear mistique", someone said it was the thrill of the hunt...i think that it is lot's of times pure consumerism, the need to buy new stuff to feel complete during a short period of time, and then comes the dissapointment and the switch.
Hey if they got that kind of money it's a good thing for those who get what they ditch (at least with cameras things are not thrown out to the streets as with computers).

03-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that changing brands once may reflect a change in needs. If someone is changing 2-4 times, I would tend to think that they're more about the equipment than the actual photography. I'm only talking about DSLRs, btw. I could very easily see someone having shot Olympus in the film days, then buying a Canon P&S to see how they'd like digital, before settling on a Nikon or Pentax DSLR.
03-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For most people, it is a lack of honesty. It is hard to admit that the reason your photos aren't turning out has to do with you and not the camera body that you happen to have. Surely, if I have a Sony/Nikon/Canon, my photos would turn out better. When you shoot only in auto mode, only use a kit lens and never learn anything really about composition or photography basics, it is easy to blame the camera for your own deficiencies.
so you think there is nothing in Pentax hardware that we can blame ?
03-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
At this point, quite honestly, no.
Since 1965, Pentax has been behind the curve with their cameras bodies.
If you haven't gotten it by now........
03-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since my wife gave me her K1000 (and bought another) in 1997 I have not bought any non-astro camera except Pentax. She had built up a collection of lenses and we ended up with a lot of low cost K mount lenses (mostly Pentax).

The only time I THOUGHT about buying a Canon was because I do a lot of Astrophotography and Canons are much better supported by astro software.
03-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #42

I like this. It means the rest of us get a healthier selection of used gear to choose from.
03-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
real pro's dont care what they are shooting with so much... probably just shoot with whatever they started with... Ergonomics probably the most important factor to them, and results.
03-29-2011, 03:37 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Assigning blame is a losing game. Fixing photos is constructive. Sometimes particular gear doesn't work for someone and that is fine, but any professional from twenty years ago would kill for the capabilities available in the SLRs (even mid range) of today.
03-29-2011, 03:49 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chillibones Quote
85mm 1.8 ($320 - as new), 50mm 1.8 ($110 - new) and a 35mm 1.8 ($200 - new). Yes folks $630 for three fast primes.
= one used FA77

Frankly, I can't see why not. Their money, their choices. It's an hobby for most anyway.

Personally, I am not so brand loyalty. It's just because I don't have money to play with several brands, and buy MF lenses for cheap - So, member fellows, upgrade welcome, Just let me know if anyone planning to jump from pentax to another brand. I may buy the whole lot to fill my gaps. For cheap please.