Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Brand new to forums

Although I do lots of web surfing this is my first forum ever to be registered with. I have been looking around this Forum for about a week and I am quite impressed with it. I don't even have a Pentax DSLR camera yet. I have an Canon A700 and a very old film SLR that has 3 lens I hope to use on my first Pentax DSLR. I am leaning towards the kx because it is cheaper then the kr that I want. I read some threads on AF points so I think I am okay with that. So my concern is the camera is not sealed. I do notice that reviewers don't seem to be too interested in that and generally barely mention it. Any comments?

Truthfully I don't even know if I should comment here or elsewhere about the above. Maybe someone can help me out with that.
I am glad to be small part of this forum.

Snapper

03-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Snapper, and a very warm welcome to the Forums.

I have moved this to the DSLR Discussion Forum, as your question should receive more exposure to owners of the Kr and Kx cameras there, that will be only to happy to give you all the advice you need.
03-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello Snapper and welcome.

I'm a rather new K-x owner and very happy with the camera. I can highly recommend it.

The limited number of AF points doesn't bother me at all. I use the middle one all the time and prefer to recompose. Weather sealing would have been nice as a security thing, but since it's rather common anyways to protect most electronics from water etc, it's not a big deal to me.

I've had it for 5 months but haven't shown any of my photos till last night. You can find them from here if you are interested.
03-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
The K-x is a great first digital SLR. The kit lens that comes with it is pretty good to start off with. My advice is to get the K-x and wait to spend any more money until you feel comfortable with this basic kit. Two good investments if you buy the K-x are Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries (I got mine from Amazon.com) and a SanDisk Class 10 Extreme memory card (4 or 8GB will be plenty). Give yourself 6-12 months to learn and see what types of pictures you take (or want to take) before spending any more money. Just my two cents and welcome to the forums here.

Last edited by HEEGZ; 03-28-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: grammar
03-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the club. Which old film camera do you have? And which lenses (make and type as accurate as possible).

Don't worry too much about weather sealing; I have used non-WR lenses in pouring rain without negative effects. And you can wrap your gear in a plastic bag to protect it from the elements.
03-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your helpful comments. I did take a look at your shots. Glad you posted them. Very enjoyable.
03-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #7

Original Poster
I appreciate the advice and especially on not spending a lot of money to start.
Thanks
03-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
My film camera is the Sears KS Super. I have the 135mm f:2.8 Telephoto lens, Model 202.73736; 80-200mm f:4.0 Macro Zoom, 202.73701; 50 mm f1:2.0
that came with the camera.

03-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your Sears KS Super camera from what I have read was make by Ricoh and uses the Pentax K bayonet mount. I would suggest that you hold off trying to mount your old lenses on the new Pentax body that you are planning on acquiring. You need to check your old lenses first for the infamous "Ricoh pin". Its an extra pin that Ricoh used on their Pentax K lenses, and has a habit of getting the lens stuck on the new autofocus camera bodies. Its easily fixed by removing the pin - described here....After "fixing" the pin, the lenses should be just fine to use...

... hope that helps...