Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
nutkasse's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: vancouver bc
Posts: 92
k200d

has anyone tried taking pictures with a portable hard drive linked to the camera via the mini usb connector on the camera? is that a possibility even?

03-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,621
With the right connectors it would be possible.
The effect would be that of connecting two portable hard drives together. (In other words, nothing.)
03-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,534
No, it will not work. USB needs a 'master' and neither the camera nor the external HD can function like a 'master'.
03-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
joebob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 168
Why would one want to?

05-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
nutkasse's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: vancouver bc
Posts: 92
Original Poster
so that i don't have to downloads the pics to the computer but directly to the harddrive
05-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,910
QuoteOriginally posted by nutkasse Quote
so that i don't have to downloads the pics to the computer but directly to the harddrive

You could tether.

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr:
https://sites.google.com/a/pentax.or...s/en/pk_tether
05-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: National Capital Region
Posts: 738
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
You could tether.
I've never owned a K200D but I remember reading in another thread, perhaps about K-7 and its lack of tethering support, where someone said that K200D did not support tethering either.

Which makes me wonder. A vendor would almost have to go out of their way to disable tethering support if it was provided for a previous version of the product, assuming the framework for the successive products is the same. If that was the case, tethering "may actually be there" but is hidden on purpose.
05-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,844
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
where someone said that K200D did not support tethering
K200D does indeed support tethering. And it works fine:
PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras

05-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: National Capital Region
Posts: 738
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
K200D does indeed support tethering. And it works fine:
PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
That seems like a hack job at best by someone clever.

If it was fully supported, Pentax would have published the tethering interface for application developers, and would have probably had an example application to go with it. Or at least would have incorporated some level of tethering into its Pentax utility that they supply with their cameras.
05-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,910
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
That seems like a hack job at best by someone clever.
And a very clever and competent job at that - IME it's the equivalent of the Pentax program I used with a DS. You might download the software and try it for yourself if tethering's of interest to you. It works with most bodies.

There's discussion of it in the K200 Social Group.

H2
05-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
That seems like a hack job at best by someone clever.

If it was fully supported, Pentax would have published the tethering interface for application developers, and would have probably had an example application to go with it. Or at least would have incorporated some level of tethering into its Pentax utility that they supply with their cameras.
It works better than the CrapWare provided with the K20d by Pentax called Remote Assistant 3. There is no hacking of the K200d firmware whatsoever to use this program with it.

Last edited by Blue; 05-19-2011 at 08:59 AM.
05-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: National Capital Region
Posts: 738
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
And a very clever and competent job at that - IME it's the equivalent of the Pentax program I used with a DS. You might download the software and try it for yourself if tethering's of interest to you. It works with most bodies.

There's discussion of it in the K200 Social Group.

H2
Thanks, Hank. I don't have a K200D (looking for a good copy, btw) but even if I did, or to try it with my K20D/K-7, I'd be a bit apprehensive since that means giving an unknown, unsupported and undocumented program full access to these devices and their internals.

"Use at your own risk" label isn't most comforting for me, either
05-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Thanks, Hank. I don't have a K200D (looking for a good copy, btw) but even if I did, or to try it with my K20D/K-7, I'd be a bit apprehensive since that means giving an unknown, unsupported and undocumented program full access to these devices and their internals.

"Use at your own risk" label isn't most comforting for me, either
The Remote Assistant 3 originally sent out with the K20d would lock stuff up big time and my copy of it was essentially unusable. I don't think Pentax ever fixed it is why the probably skipped over tethering the K-7.
05-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The Remote Assistant 3 originally sent out with the K20d would lock stuff up big time and my copy of it was essentially unusable. I don't think Pentax ever fixed it is why the probably skipped over tethering the K-7.
Hmmm I've never had that happen on my end.
Have you tried it with difference machines?
05-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Hmmm I've never had that happen on my end.
Have you tried it with difference machines?
I just have the one K20d. I used the Remote Assistant 3 and 3.51 on at least 2 different Vista Ultimate computers.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-x AF vs K200D AF alexulo Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 05-15-2010 11:39 AM
From K200d to K7 lurchlarson Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 04-29-2010 06:06 AM
K200D - Need Help! IJCoolen Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 02-06-2010 12:29 PM
k200d nutkasse Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 12-13-2009 06:30 PM
Where to get a K200D jct us101 Pentax DSLR Discussion 23 05-09-2009 11:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top