Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SR, My experience with K100D

Well I have had my Pentax toy for over a week now and since the weather has been mostly poor around here I have been testing the camera and putting SR through its paces. Here, for anybody who may be interested are my observations.

When I first started using SR I saw very little improvement. I have very steady hands and often break the 1/focal length rule with relative impunity on my D70. I think I was expecting miracles.

I soon realized however that these two cameras were very different in shape (duh!!) and required different holding techniques. Once I had adjusted my hands on the body and the lens slightly I got amazing results. 50% of my SR images at 55mm, 1/4s were sharp as opposed to around 10% without SR.

Another limiting factor when using SR is mirror slap. The K100 is a very light camera with what sounds like a very powerful mirror. I think mirror slap is reducing the effectiveness of my SR on pics from 1/15 to 1/60 a bit.

I'm still new to the K100 so these observations should be taken as the ramblings of a newbie. If anyone else has some observations/tips I'd love to hear them.

12-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
phew!

I looked at your post with great trepidation, thinking you were going to say "SR is a complete crock!" when sitting here beside me is a box with a brand-spanking new K100D in it, and then I'd beat myself up for getting sucked into the hype. But instead, you find it helps, PHEW!

I'm selling my DL to a friend who didn't want to shell out for a new camera, and, well, it's not so much upgrading as taking a step to one side. But I do get SR, for what it's worth. I hope I find it as useful as you have! Thanks for the report, and I'll post soon with my impressions, too.

Julie
12-12-2006, 03:13 AM   #3
Forum Member

Just for interest - the designer interview available on dpreview notes that the main component of the mirror slap is the return to the reflex position.

As this is after the exposure it has no effect on the camera shake - apparently the raising of the mirror is well damped.

Just for passing interest I am very impressed with the SR capability and am routinely shooting normal lenses inside at 1/10th or so and getting pin sharp results - the best regular results with my 500mm mirror lens requires me to be better than or equal to 1/90th but that is standing unbraced in a field and handheld obviously.

Rod
12-14-2006, 02:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Obviously no real solution, but I noticed when shooting with a 2-second delay, the mirror pops up immediately causing no shakes by the time the actual shot is taken. Pentax must of realized that the mirror does cause some level of shake regardless of how severe it is or else the wouldn't of done this.