Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #1

Pentax Spare Grips

The rubber grip on my trusty *ist DS is starting to peel away and doesn't seem to fit right anymore. (It seems to have grown larger)

Has anyone managed to order any spares? If Pentax even sells these things!

03-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I've had a similar problem with N***n and O*****s bodies. The rubbers are factory-fitted with double-sided adhesive tape but I've rarely found this to be any good for replacing them. I therefore use contact adhesive. The "growing bigger" problem is addressed by skimming off the excess with a craft knife before refitting. I'm nothing if not cheap . . .
03-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi wjjstu,

I had the same thing happen on my DS a long time ago. I trimmed the rubber with a razor blace or a scalpel (can't remember) and then used a double sided tape that was originally used for rear view mirrors. You might be able to compress the rubber back without trimming it. I'd try this first

I recently discovered Uglue, which would probably be very close to the original adhesive stuff that they used, maybe better. Make sure that you peel off the old adhesive and remove all dust and debris from the area that's peeled back. This would have been perfect for this application, IMO.

https://www.getuglu.com/?refcode=1002

Edit: I've read some complaints about the web site, so you might consider getting this from another source if possible. I had gotten mine at a local grocery store where they have an "As seen on TV section".

I've used this stuff on numerous projects so far, and it seems to give a very strong bond and is very neat and easy to use.

Good luck on your project.

Scott
03-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know, it's interesting this came up when it did, but I was thinking again to try and source some rubber material more like what comes on DSLRs in order to make a bit nicer of a supplementary grip surface for my BG-2 grip, which probably should have come with something to this effect.

(I use a thin, soft closed-cell foam stuff for this, but it needs replacing periodically. )

(Here, let me show what I do, *snap.* )

(FYI, I've previously used a thinner bit of this along the very bottom edge, to good effect, but I thought I'd try making it wider this time. The last piece actually lasted a couple of years, though it does flatten like the little piece on the corner of the side. It also looks more like it belongs there when not P&S flashed-at. And the bit in the thumb-rest is a different material, it's a thick, soft leather meant for arrow-rests. )

03-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
People make leatherettes for old cameras...when is a company going to step up and start making the rubber for digitals? I suppose the service "life" of a DSLR is pretty short compared to a film camera...still, these days with computer cutters you could almost make them to-order once you have the patterns entered into the computer...minimal overhead, just have rolls(?) of a few colors to start...

New cameras need maintenance, too! Plus I want some camo grips