Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AF 280T- Not charging, or anything

I mentioned this issue in part of another thread in the film section, but wanted to broaden the range of possible help...

I just got a second hand AF 280T. When I put batteries in, and turn it on, nothing happens.

I checked the contacts, and they are not corroded, I even cleaned them anyway. Nothing. No charge, no nothing.

I found the repair manual, but it's been a while since I had an electronics class... and the manual is pretty much just a diagram and wiring schematics.

Any other basic trouble shooting tips here?

I'm just trying to get it to charge and flash when I press test.

03-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had a similar experience when I initially put in a set of Eneloops: no sign of life. Cursed the Ebay seller, but decided to try with a set of lithiums, worked perfectly. Curse revoked. After cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol Eneloops have worked. Might have been the battery door not being properly closed or maybe mildly oxidised battery contacts.

Last edited by jolepp; 03-30-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typo
03-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Do you hear the high-pitch whining from the flash?
03-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No whine. Nothing. Trying to charge the capacitor over time with set of lithium AAs.

03-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the same flash. Almost from the day I got it, more years now that I care to admit, I have to put a heavy rubber band around it to hold the battery door closed tight enough so the batteries would make contact. The door latch seems to have too much play to make a tight fit. Hope this helps.
03-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Added one, but so far no difference.

Hmmm...
03-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've told this story a couple times here. I sold one of these to another forum member. Before sending it I decided to make sure it worked as advertised (it did when I listed it). I put my 2500mAh NiMh batteries in it, that I use in every other flash I own, and Nothing. No light, no whine, no flash. I write the buyer and tell him of this new development and ask what he wants to do. While waiting, I put plain old coppertop alkalines in it, and it fires right up. By then I had already agreed to refund half his money and send it anyway. These flashes were made before the days of the high tech rechargeable and long life batteries. Try a regular set and see what happens.

03-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried cleaning the contacts with an eraser, and it worked like a charm. Had tried alcohol and even scraping them, and could not see any corrosion in the dark compartment... but the eraser did the trick. works great now.