Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #1

Problems with K-7 Focus problem or buffer is full?

Hi
I purchased a K-7 in April 2010. I love the 'hyperprogram interface' as its the same interface I loved on my PZ1p years ago.

But I've been having very annoying problems with my K-7.

Problem #1. Bracketing.
When I shoot 5 shots in a burs in bracketing mode, the camera shoots 4 in a row rapidly, and then the 5th shot about 3 seconds later. It appears to be unable to save fast enough. But why? I thought the camera has a huge buffer that can hold more than 20 shots?

Problem #2. Focus.
When I shoot panoramas of 8 to 10 shots in a row. Usually by the time I get to the 4th or 5th shot, the camera will not focus and the shutter button will not release. I have to wait, and it seems that repositioning the focus point several times, and half-depressing the shutter button seems to work. The camera can refocus and I can shoot the last few shots.
At first I thought it was a buffer problem. But now I've found that
if I just turn off autofocus, I can shoot the full panorama without delays.

I'm using Transcend 16gig Class 6 cards and Kingmax 16gig Class 6 cards. Both exhibit these problems as far as I can tell.

Any advice? Is the camera in need of repairs? My firmware is version 1.11

03-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Geo33 Quote
Hi

Problem #1. Bracketing.
When I shoot 5 shots in a burs in bracketing mode, the camera shoots 4 in a row rapidly, and then the 5th shot about 3 seconds later. It appears to be unable to save fast enough. But why? I thought the camera has a huge buffer that can hold more than 20 shots?
What format do you shoot? RAW or JPEG? Do you have in-camera PP?

In-camera PP requires some CPU from the camera and might slow your bursts after a few shots. In-camera PP includes lens distortion correction, hihg-ISO correction, .... This has nothing to to with buffer but CPU.
03-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
check what hcc said about in-camera PP. i use a sandisk extreme class 10 and have no delays at all unless i turn on in-camera PP (i dont).
03-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
What format do you shoot? RAW or JPEG? Do you have in-camera PP?

In-camera PP requires some CPU from the camera and might slow your bursts after a few shots. In-camera PP includes lens distortion correction, hihg-ISO correction, .... This has nothing to to with buffer but CPU.
Thanks very much for your replies. These features were all turned on: Highlight Correction, Shadow Correction, Distortion Correction, Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj

Should I turn them all off? Isn't the "Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj" a very useful feature?

What about Highlight Correction, Shadow Correction. I quite like the effect it gave in providing more detail in shadowed areas.

I'm a little disappointed if I have to turn these things off. Shouldn't a camera have a faster processor? Does the K-5 have a faster processor?

03-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #5

Thanks very much for your replies. These features were all turned on: Highlight Correction, Shadow Correction, Distortion Correction, Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj

Should I turn them all off? Isn't the "Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj" a very useful feature?

What about Highlight Correction, Shadow Correction. I quite like the effect it gave in providing more detail in shadowed areas.

I'm a little disappointed if I have to turn these things off. Shouldn't a camera have a faster processor? Does the K-5 have a faster processor?
All those things you can do in pp, they do have some effect but if you want to shoot
very fast you'll need to turn them off...
03-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

This stuff is very processor and buffer intensive. Rather than be disappointed, you would be better to admit to the reality of the situation, and when you need fast shooting with a big buffer, turn the useless stuff off. The K5 isn't any faster. I suspect that the camera would need at least a dual processor (and more likely a quad) and twice or more as much ram to make the throughput speeds noticeably faster.
03-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm a little disappointed if I have to turn these things off.
You can do all this things in PP with the Pentax software, or with any photo software. So don't be disapointed. More over, all PP that does the K-7 are good, but not as what software can do most of time.
03-30-2011, 03:11 AM   #8
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums

You can most likely leave Highlight Correction and Shadow Correction on. It's the other two that require a lot of processing.

If you make these corrections on your PC you'll notice that not even your PC can perform these calculations without measurable processing time. It would be nice if the camera could do it in real time, but it is actually pretty amazing that it can do it as fast as it can with it's tiny battery operated processor.

The K-5 is probably not significantly faster in this camp; the files are slightly larger so there is more data to process.

03-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I'm already quite aware of the reality, but this does not lessen the disappointment
Anything the camera can do automatically to save my time is appreciated. But I guess I'll just have to make my adjustments manually. Of course I like fiddling with GIMP, but time is limited.

I'll turn off all that stuff and see how it affects shooting speed.

With luck, in a few years cameras will be faster and there'll be no need for so much manual work.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This stuff is very processor and buffer intensive. Rather than be disappointed, you would be better to admit to the reality of the situation, and when you need fast shooting with a big buffer, turn the useless stuff off. The K5 isn't any faster. I suspect that the camera would need at least a dual processor (and more likely a quad) and twice or more as much ram to make the throughput speeds noticeably faster.

Last edited by Geo33; 03-30-2011 at 08:49 AM.
03-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

With luck, in a few years cameras will be faster and there'll be no need for so much manual work.
At some point, we'll just be able to send our cameras out by themselves to take pictures, with no input at all from us.
And how proud we'll be then of our skills.
03-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #11

The CA and distortion in particular seemed to cause the most severe slow-downs with my K7. I haven't tried using highlight or shadow correction by themselves in the camera. I tend to do everything in PP.
03-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
At some point, we'll just be able to send our cameras out by themselves to take pictures, with no input at all from us.
And how proud we'll be then of our skills.
Yes that would be great. Maybe by then we needn't go to get an education either. Our computer will write the thesis by itself.

Last edited by Geo33; 03-31-2011 at 01:17 AM.
03-30-2011, 11:16 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HEEGZ Quote
The CA and distortion in particular seemed to cause the most severe slow-downs with my K7. I haven't tried using highlight or shadow correction by themselves in the camera. I tend to do everything in PP.
Thanks! I appreciate your experience. I'll try turning those various settings on and off and see what effect it has. If it will improve the shooting speed, i'll be glad to turn them all off.