Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #1

Cobra 700AF flash on a K100D

Hi

I just wanted to asked, does anyone use these older off-brand flashes on their dslr's ?

I have a Pentax AF200S, but I wanted to have swivel in the flash also, so I purchased an old Pentax-dedicated Cobra from ebay.

After attaching the flash I noticed that the camera didn't automatically change the shutter speed higher, but when I took the photo the flash did fire. After this I went on and checked the hotshoe pins on the Cobra compared to my AF200S and noticed that there was one pin more in Cobra. Not sure, but this might be TTL-pin ? So I went on and taped this pin off, so it wouldn't have contact and voila, the shutter speed is now automatically set higher than off-flash.

Only negative thing about this flash is that it always seems to fire on full power, so the recharging takes a while, but I guess there's nothing I can do about it, cause there's no adjustments on the flash

03-30-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have this flash, I just use it in manual mode and it works quite well. I set the shutter speed manually as well as the aperture so I haven't noticed your problem!
03-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Does yours take forever to recharge?

I was used on working with my AF200S and it was nice when i putted it to auto, so the power was weaker and the flash recharged a lot faster!
03-31-2011, 01:37 AM   #4

which pin did you cover?

and does the AF assist light on the flash work with your camera?

03-31-2011, 02:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
I covered (yesterday removed) the one that was out of the "triangle". Af-light was on all the time until I covered the pin and after that I think it doesn't work.