Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2007, 03:57 AM   #16
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just tested the pentax flash af beam again, it works remarkably well, I was using an f2.8 lens, I turned off all the lights in my room and closed the curtains although its dark outside, and I couldnt see anything in the VF it was pitch black. so understandably the af did not have a chance, but with the flash af beam on it worked like a charm. of coruse it doesnt have unlimited range but its pretty good. now, why not put one on the body too, dont think it would take that much space that it would be a problem

10-29-2007, 04:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Does the 30D have an AF assist light? Is it only Nikon that has that function on the body. I wonder why everyone doesnt have it when so many compact cameras have it and it makes a big difference.
As far as I can see, the AF assist on the 30D is the same as on the K10: the flash has to be up and emits small anoying sizzles.

100% agreed than the Nikon solution is the best.
10-29-2007, 04:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Just tested the pentax flash af beam again, it works remarkably well, I was using an f2.8 lens, I turned off all the lights in my room and closed the curtains although its dark outside, and I couldnt see anything in the VF it was pitch black. so understandably the af did not have a chance, but with the flash af beam on it worked like a charm. of coruse it doesnt have unlimited range but its pretty good. now, why not put one on the body too, dont think it would take that much space that it would be a problem
Agreed, the red AF beam on my old Z1P, although located next to the flash, is really small and could probably be integrated easily on a K10-like body.

Also I think it's the only kind of AF assist that will not blind your subject or prompt them to duck and cover
10-29-2007, 04:36 AM   #19
and
Veteran Member

Indeed, the bright light of the built in flash af assist makes people cringe

10-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, my old Nikon AF assist was excellent. Even our Canon P&S has a better light than the Pentax or Canon flash assist.
10-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

You know what i like about being a Pentaxian? We aren't so stuck up on ourselves that we won't try other brands. Where it would be sacrilege for C/N users to try a pentax, we usually take it as fun and games, but at the end of the night we always come home to Pentax.
10-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Sony's older V, F series as well as R1 if IRC had that funky laser hologram AF assist. It works really well even in the dark. On my V1, it so close to the lens though, that my lens adapter ends up blocking the beam so I have to MF with the jog dial when shooting with the teleconvertor attached.
10-30-2007, 12:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be cool if someone made a focus assist light that attaches to the hot shoe. I don't think it is actually that difficult.

10-30-2007, 12:55 AM   #24
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Sony's older V, F series as well as R1 if IRC had that funky laser hologram AF assist. It works really well even in the dark. On my V1, it so close to the lens though, that my lens adapter ends up blocking the beam so I have to MF with the jog dial when shooting with the teleconvertor attached.
I have a V1 too, the hologram assist and the infrared composing modes make it a really killer low light camera, except its extremely slow when you use them but its a cool camera.
10-30-2007, 03:19 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Sorry folks. I am not sure why people in this forum seem to think that Canon and Nikon users are so stuck up on themselves.

I came to this forum because I was tired of fanatics trying to give bad advice on lens choices to people who did not need them. I will call them the "L" coholics. This same small vociferous group of rabid Canon users would put people down IF they didn't use a Canon.

I am sorry to say that there are a few people in here who are just as crass as those wackjobs. Misconceptions abound about perceived social conundrums based upon ones choice of equipment. Why I was even once told that I was in the wrong forum here because I defended Canon gear. Clearly that person had no clue what he was talking about.

The sad reality is that I find so many disparaging remarks of people who use different gear on this forum, that is is almost heart breaking. Who gives a darn what gear you are using, or others? Does it make you feel important and clickish to make snide remarks of people who use Canon or Nikon gear? I just don't get it. Most of the photographers I know don't give a fig newton what camera your using. all they care about are the results..and that is the way I like it.

I personally see myself participating less and less on this forum. To be honest and frank, I am getting a little tired of all the digs towards other users of camera gear. I own both Canon and Pentax. I just don't see why much of these comments are even warranted. shrugs.

And no, my comments go out to all people on this forum..not just a few in this thread
10-30-2007, 05:15 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
It would be cool if someone made a focus assist light that attaches to the hot shoe. I don't think it is actually that difficult.
Get Pentax external flash and you'll have exactly what you want. Can't say anything about older flashes and new 220FGZ, but 360FGZ and 540FGZ have AF assist function in the form of laser looking chaotic "spyder web“. Possible to autofocus in complete darkness.
10-30-2007, 05:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
Sorry folks. I am not sure why people in this forum seem to think that Canon and Nikon users are so stuck up on themselves. To be honest and frank, I am getting a little tired of all the digs towards other users of camera gear. I own both Canon and Pentax. I just don't see why much of these comments are even warranted. shrugs.

And no, my comments go out to all people on this forum..not just a few in this thread
Thats why i don't go on the Nikon forums anymore.

I shoot both Pentax and Nikon systems. Some features are better on one camera than on another, someone has a lens better suited for me than another, etc, etc.

My Nikons make better equine photo equipment, in my opinion, for me, but i like my Pentax gear for landscapes and portraits.

Go fiqure eh.

On the other pentax list i am on, we all shoot many brands, Canon, Pentax, Nikon, Oly aand more.

We all seem to get along just fine.

It biols down to what ever works best for you, not the other guy.

Dave
10-30-2007, 07:25 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Well, in all fairness, the ratio of fanaticists (my definition of this is different from fanatics) in this forum is smaller than those over at the *other* forum. It's much easier to get labeled as a troll there even if a poster's question is very much legit but unfavorable to the camera that's on the hot seat, regardless of brand.

One positive I could take, though, is that some of the fine members of this forum are also posters in the Pentax-dedicated forum over there, and so it's less vitriolic and more helpful than those of the bigger manufacturer forums.

And yes, there are level-headed big-brand users like Chako still, but I would think most of the sane-minded ones have their voices drowned out by the fanaticists, or are too sick and tired to rectify most of the fanaticists' posts there.

I love it here. I learned a lot here.
10-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #29
Veteran Member

People in online forums tend to be more voracious in defending their choices than your average real life person. I mean, why else are you wasting all your time here?

My guess is that actually the average Pentax user is more attached to their choice than that average Canon or Nikon use, simply because they probably wouldn't have ended up with a Pentax unless they put some thought and research into it. The top two brands are what you get by default if you don't care.