Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 04:53 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Question, do you have Dynamic range expanded on your K-x?

I'm going to be testing other ISO settings today because it's raining and cloudy here. And next weekend we have the balloon fest coming here and usually we go at night, so more tests with higher ISO will be a possibility then.

I'm practicing the movie feature too because I want to get video of my older (69 and 74 years old) sisters going up in a tethered balloon.

03-31-2011, 06:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sadly, my K-x is taking a trip for warranty work (lens contact(s) flaky or software utterly confused, probably, at any rate it refused to set the aperture even in M-mode). When I still had it I was not convinced that I'd need the dynamic range extension. I seem to recall that I had to choose between ISO 100 and that and having ISO 100 seemed more appealing - or at least easier to figure out .

Having a movie feature is cool for precisely that sort of thing .
03-31-2011, 06:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Question, do you have Dynamic range expanded on your K-x?
Yup, useful especially when there isn't enough light. I don't use the expanded highlight though, it doesn't recover that much, (especially on very very bright days) what I do is underexpose a bit then pull back the details through software.

Also when you expand for the highlight range you won't be able to use ISO100...

by the way, for video...

it's mostly better to use manual lenses on it. Because the K-x automatically controls stuff (aperture, etc I think) while recording, it sometimes results to grainy vids especially in low light. Try one using a fast lens and you can control the aperture manually through the ring Also there's no AF while on video mode. It will AF only before recording, then you have to switch to manual after that. So it's best to start it off all-manual XD

Last edited by Alizarine; 03-31-2011 at 06:14 AM. Reason: added info~
03-31-2011, 08:25 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
K, jolepp. I don't do ISO 100 because today it's raining outside, thus not enough light for ISO100.

Alizarine, thank you. I will now turn that option on. I took a few photos this morning at ISO1600 but because of the rain, I'm assuming that is why, they came out black.

And thanks for the tips on the video. I appreciate the help. And I always manual focus, either stills or video for this camera anyway. I found yesterday that AF doesn't work with this video.

03-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
What's up with this beep thing? I was shooting this afternoon and the hexagon isn't showing in the viewfinder or isn't showing when I can see the object is in focus. In the manual it said this will not operate if there are objects ie, leaves etc near what you're focusing on. I didn't have this problem with the K100d.
03-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

As you are focusing manually you'll probably want to set AF to center point only so the hexagon/beep will reflect focus in the center circle of the viewfinder. That way I found it pretty reliable (if maybe a bit picky ). Otherwise it might be happy if any of the 5/11 focus sensors indicate good focus (together they cover a lot of viewfinder real-estate, the manual has a diagram of the locations).
03-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Got my new K-x in today.
I'm happy as a clam at high tide, can you tell? :
tell me about that feeling
and my K-x brings me lot of joy even when it is over a year old

03-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Jolepp, I've set it for 5 points for the moment, we'll see tomorrow how it does. It's been pouring water here today but supposed to be sunny tomorrow. Sure hope so, after two days of drenching rain, I'm sure ready for some sunshine. And we lost power today too, so for 4 hours with no power, no computer, I read the manual under a small head lamp. Bored I was. LOL

Stanic thanks, glad to hear you're enjoying your K-x too.
04-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Does setting Dynamic Range and Sensitivity have any bearing on ISO settings? I was/am planning on going to a park today, and was getting my camera settings ready for full sunlight, and changing ISO, it will only go down to 400.
04-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does setting Dynamic Range and Sensitivity have any bearing on ISO settings? I was/am planning on going to a park today, and was getting my camera settings ready for full sunlight, and changing ISO, it will only go down to 400.
You have Highlight Correction turned on and Expanded Sensitivity turned off. If you turn on Expanded Sensitivity you will be able to use ISO 200. If you turn Highlight Correction off you will be able to use ISO 100. (Memo on page 190).
04-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Boris. Got it changed now. I looked in the .pdf manual but couldn't find what I was looking for.
04-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian

We got a K-x when the price dropped after the K-rs came out. I have to say, with a DA 21 Ltd on the front, it is one amazing camera. Light easy to use and top notch Image Quality.
04-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #28

I "like" my KX, but I am not in "love" with it.

But. It is more cooperative than most females. It does not demand dinner, ask me to tell it "I love you", etc.
04-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #29
Pentaxian

congratulations on your new cam. I know that is takes time to make adjustment's on it. i for my self have learned a lot with my K-7 just fooling a round it. That SiM was good for that. ISO was problem for me before it, but now not so much now.
04-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
I am not in "love" with it.
I am in love with the way it renders the scenes, how light it is and how well I can use it. And it's more cooperative than any man I've ever met. At least it doesn't tell me "you can't do that," like most men ie, my late husband and my brothers tell me.

ISO especially 800 was a near impossible task with the K100D. With the K-x it's a doable thing. Not perfect but lots better than my first DSLR.