Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice!

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Dma110 Quote
Yea for pentax. # 2 & 3 is pretty good

Especially when #1 is $5500.00, and #2 & 3 are $1500.00 and $800.00 respectively (Cdn$).

I can hardly wait to see what they bring out next.

Cameron

04-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #17
Forum Member

Pentax has so much to offer but without more marketing they will never profit to the extent they should. They obviously are putting in the R&D money, but they MUST rethink marketing. I just purchased the K-5 and was on Pentaximaging looking for the brochure to drool over before I pulled the trigger. No brochure that I could find. There was one for the K-7?! So I chatted with someone at Pentax and he said he did not find anything either. He thought the decision was probably a cost saver. Call me weird, but if I am going to plunk down $1399, I want a brochure. Also marketing has done nothing with their Pentaxian site in ages. They are all still using K20s?? No other photographers have been added from the originals. I just don't get it. I completely understand that many of the $ spent by Canikon lack ROI most likely, but how is Pentax going to get the word out? Expanding the database of professionals using Pentax is a great way to grow organically I would think. Send these folks out to talk up the brand and give demos to photography clubs and in brick and mortar stores! OK, I'm done.
04-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I agree with everyone's comments about marketing.

Here is my frustration with availabilty at BB. Bought a 55-200 with a gift certificate 3 weeks ago, got a message that it was backordered and would be sent on the 1st, then another message this week that it is still backordered. Called CS today and was told that they are waiting for a big enough demand to order more. Of course you can no longer order it as they are not taking new orders on their site. Since I have a $250 gift certificate for BB, I have to spend my money there. Would go with a different lens, buy they do not carry many Pentax lenses and the ones they carry are not competitively priced. Really want the 18-105, but they do not carry it, so I am stuck.
04-03-2011, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kathiewe Quote
I agree with everyone's comments about marketing.

Here is my frustration with availabilty at BB. Bought a 55-200 with a gift certificate 3 weeks ago, got a message that it was backordered and would be sent on the 1st, then another message this week that it is still backordered. Called CS today and was told that they are waiting for a big enough demand to order more. Of course you can no longer order it as they are not taking new orders on their site. Since I have a $250 gift certificate for BB, I have to spend my money there. Would go with a different lens, buy they do not carry many Pentax lenses and the ones they carry are not competitively priced. Really want the 18-105, but they do not carry it, so I am stuck.
I don't know if the BBs in your area offer the prepaid visa card, but if they do, it's only $5 and you can add any amount to them using BB gift cards. *at least in january they did, I would double check by going into your local BB and asking them to try it, even if they dont think they can, have them try to do it.

04-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by alelynh Quote
I don't know if the BBs in your area offer the prepaid visa card, but if they do, it's only $5 and you can add any amount to them using BB gift cards. *at least in january they did, I would double check by going into your local BB and asking them to try it, even if they dont think they can, have them try to do it.

Thanks for the tip. I will cancel the order and do just that!
04-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
Question. If Pentax is so good, why do dealers, at least in the US, not carry Pentax SLRs?

This is more a gripe than a question.
I've heard a number of times that Pentax requires a retailer to buy $100,000 in Pentax products to be an accredited dealer. That is a lot of money for a small struggling shop.

Lowering that requirement would mean more exposure and a chance to put the product on shelves so more people could actually touch it before purchasing.
04-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BobBlazevic Quote
Lowering that requirement would mean more exposure and a chance to put the product on shelves so more people could actually touch it before purchasing.
I've read that: PenHoya thinks they have enough demand already, thank you, and they don't need the brick-n-mortar exposure, with attendant problems of inventory, returns, etc. That: PenHoya is quite happy with their current business model and marketing plan, and sees no need to change. That: PenHoya gets all the publicity they need from magazines and websites that give high product ratings, so sees no need to advertise in places like USA. That: PenHoya already runs at full production capacity, and sells everything they make, with ever-increasing market share.

Assuming these factoids to be true, then seeing a brick-n-mortar presence of new Pentax products (not the ancient inventories carried by tourist rip-off shops) would either mean that 1) PenHoya has decided to gain visibility because business is good, or 2) PenHoya is desperate for visibility because business is bad. So, having Kr's on display everywhere might be a REAL BAD SIGN.

04-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax marketing in Australia is at least as bad as in the US. None of the big box retailers stock Pentax and Camera House (probably Australia's biggest chain of independant photographic stores) seem to not care too much about Pentax either (the three that I have visited recently stock Kr (just one among 10s of Canikons) but no K5; available on special order only!!
Australian Photography, claiming to be Australia's largest circulating photo magazine NEVER has an advertisement or an article/test report for Pentax; these two issues are probably related - you don't pay for advertisements, you don't get any free promotion!
04-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I was very surprised that the newly refurbished and re launched Jessops store in Birmingham ( UK ) carried the full range of Pentax camera's and a decent range of lenses, and all displayed with the same prominence as the main Canikon range, although they did have their own seperate display areas along with with Sony.

When I asked an assistant a question he immediately sent another guy over over who was a Pentax man through and through.

It is nice to pick a camera up and feel it before you buy, and it's nice to deal with someone who knows about the choices.
For so long Jessops has been a byword for crap choice and even worse service, so maybe they are trying to kickstart the resurgence of the old camera stores ? if they are, Pentax need to be there.

Last edited by Lloydy; 04-05-2011 at 03:58 PM.
04-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

You put all the blame on Pentax but when I read were most of peoples in this forum are buying their stuff it's, on AMazon, B&H, Adorrama and E-Bay. Oh yes, everybody go forfor the best deal. Also everybody want to save the State tax and the brick n mortar are at a disadvantage to the web retailer., they have to charge you the tax.
Finally it's not Pentax fault , it's the consumer
04-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Australia, State tax is not a problem - everyone pays the same GST whether the purchase is from a bricks and mortar store, interstate, or whereever. The only way to get out of the GST is to buy from overseas and if the price is over $1000, GST (10%) and customs duty (5%) apply anyway.
The best online stores in Australia are also bricks and mortar stores and the prices are the same whether you walk in off the street or buy online. (shipping is added for online purchases, which actually makes them dearer).
The problem here is that most retailers do not stock Pentax dSLRs, particularly the K5.
04-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
In Australia, State tax is not a problem - everyone pays the same GST whether the purchase is from a bricks and mortar store, interstate, or whereever. The only way to get out of the GST is to buy from overseas and if the price is over $1000, GST (10%) and customs duty (5%) apply anyway.
The best online stores in Australia are also bricks and mortar stores and the prices are the same whether you walk in off the street or buy online. (shipping is added for online purchases, which actually makes them dearer).
The problem here is that most retailers do not stock Pentax dSLRs, particularly the K5.
That's pretty much the UK experience, the biggest retailers online are the bricks and mortar retailers and the prices are often the same or very close. And our taxes are simple, just extortionate.
04-05-2011, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I for one would be happy to pay a little extra and pay tax if I could hold
and try out a new body or lens first. But since no one in my area stocks Pentax, I am forced to buy from the Internet dealers. Its the ONLY way I have to buy Pentax
04-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I guess being in Arizona can leave you a fair way from big retail. I'm in the most closely settled part of Australia (Victoria) and an still three hours from Melbourne and decent retail. A bit different from Lloydy who probably has four or five stores to choose from within an hour.
04-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Phoenix area where I live is the 5th or 6th largest city in the states, so we have plenty of big box stores, but only 3 camera stores, none of which stock pentax. One does have some older glass & equipment for rental, but no one stocks for sale. I don't know who's fault this is, pentax or the stores, but would love the chance to buy local.