Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 07:18 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Jump if you NEED FF.

03-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm... I would really consider before jumping.

Do you NEED or WANT FF?
What will FF really do for your photography?
Do you primarily shoot wide or tele?
Do you mind going to a LOT bigger setup (both in the body and lenses)?

I find the K-5 to be amazingly capable, that's why I would really think about the jump before you do jump. You may regret it a few months after.
03-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #18

Original Poster
Wow, I didn't expect that much of replies, in that short amount of time.. Thanks to each and every one of you, and I truly appreciate it. Your comments made a lot of sense and it is indeed a great help.
JHD's comment about the 1.5 crop factor is something I should consider thinking about. I might end up looking for long lenses which are too expensive.
@Sterretje: I thought about FF for the lower noise in higher iso, some lenses tend to act better with FF (at lease from the reviews I've read) and I admit I might be brainwashed with FF bla bla bla.. However, keeping my k-5 is also a good idea, just it will take longer to save up.

What I'll do now is keep my k-5 and use it to the fullest and save up for a used FF.

Again, thanks a lot everyone.
03-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The 1.5 factor works at both sides. You no longer need an ultra-wide angle to get a wide view. Or the ultra wide is really ultra wide.

03-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Hmm... I would really consider before jumping.

Do you NEED or WANT FF?
What will FF really do for your photography?
Do you primarily shoot wide or tele?
Do you mind going to a LOT bigger setup (both in the body and lenses)?

I find the K-5 to be amazingly capable, that's why I would really think about the jump before you do jump. You may regret it a few months after.
Thanks, here are my answers:
I want an FF, I don't need it
Lower noise on high iso and others
I shoot wide more than tele
Well for the set up, I think I will be buyidng the FF camera body and 4 to 5 lenses to go with it. I currently own about 6 lenses for my k-5.

As I said in my previous reply, I will keep the k-5 and will probably save up for an FF. Thanks again for your comment.
03-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marwan Quote
@Sterretje: I thought about FF for the lower noise in higher iso, some lenses tend to act better with FF (at lease from the reviews I've read) and I admit I might be brainwashed with FF bla bla bla.. However, keeping my k-5 is also a good idea, just it will take longer to save up.

What I'll do now is keep my k-5 and use it to the fullest and save up for a used FF.

Many of the folks bought into the FF before k-5 and D7k come out this year with the belief that low noise in higher iso can only be achievable with FF, so many DSLR users jumped on 5D mkII bandwagon... now, many of them had second thought.
03-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #22
Pentaxian

By FF camera do you mean M9? I can't afford it but it really looks great. If I had the money, M9 + 35mm summilux would be my choice.
Go get it, you lucky one.
03-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #23
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The 1.5 factor works at both sides. You no longer need an ultra-wide angle to get a wide view. Or the ultra wide is really ultra wide.
Wide angles are not any where near as costly long lenses.

03-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wow, I didn't expect that much of replies, in that short amount of time.. Thanks to each and every one of you, and I truly appreciate it. Your comments made a lot of sense and it is indeed a great help.
JHD's comment about the 1.5 crop factor is something I should consider thinking about. I might end up looking for long lenses which are too expensive.

You got a lot of replies really fast because this topic comes up a lot here.

There are many on these forums who will simply NOT be happy until they have a full frame camera, no matter how good the APS-C technology gets. The high ISO/dynamic range performance argument is starting to fall away as our sensors become more and more ridiculous. Your K-5 has one of the best commercially available camera sensors that has ever been produced.

The biggest draw for me to FF would be the much wider field of view and ability to isolate subjects within it via narrow depth of field. We could do this in APS-C if glass of the requisite speed were available, but it's not, so if those image characteristics matter to you, FF is the way. Though I would be really reluctant to give up an APS-C format camera altogether.

If you want FF you have a few paths you can consider. 1) You can hang on to your K-5, buy lenses with a mind for full frame (pretty limited selection honestly), and hope that maybe Pentax will get around to this some day. But don't hold your breath! 2) Jump boat altogether and buy into a Nikon or Canon FF system. You pick your lenses well and I believe you can use them on APS-C format cameras from the same manufacturers if smaller form factor becomes a desire. 3) Go dual platform: keep your K-5 and simultaneously invest in a FF system from another company. Option #3 is the most expensive, but there are a few people here in these forums who want FF but aren't willing to wait for #1, and won't consider #2 because they like their Pentax gear.

Only you can decide! But do what you think will make you happiest. There is definitely a 'the grass is greener!" syndrome that goes on with this type of thing, but there are a lot of people who aren't going to be happy with their gear if they feel like they compromised on it. Best of luck and happy shooting!
04-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks v5planet, I'm going for #3, and probably going for a used 5D mk1.. will take me some time to save the money but i think its the best solution.
04-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #26
Veteran Member

seems obvious you dont really know what you want/need, so may as well jump and spend $$ on a new body...helps the economy at least.

Jason
04-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #27

Original Poster
Yes .
04-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I want an FF, I don't need it
Everyone in this forum wants a FF, including me.
Medium format to too costly, too big, too heavy and different lenses.
If I need it, I just rent one.

My friends have Canon and Nikon and their gears can't match in size and weight. Their funds can't reach as far for lenses.

A used 5D mk1 or mk2 or mk3 is not bad. They can be used with the K28Shift, or any wide angle in M42 mount, like T15f3.5...

Last edited by hoanpham; 04-01-2011 at 01:39 AM.
04-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

If you can afford to jump, why not jump? Get a 1.5x teleconverter or just crop the images if you want to get the focal length as before. Although, the 5d MKii is getting old now, wait for mkiii maybe? Pentax cameras may have FF issues, but they said an FF camera is not on the table any time soon (bad pun I know, couldn't help it :P).
04-03-2011, 03:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Jump.