Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #1

Maximum SDHC card size and Class for K100D

Hi,

I have a K100D with the latest firmware.

Please indicate what the largest size (x Gb) SDHC card is that I can safely use in my Pentax. Also please indicate the highest class SDHC that I would be able to use.

I also have a *ist DS, what is the largest SD card I can use on it. It also has the latest firmware update installed.

03-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You should be able to use any SDHC card. The max for SDHC is 32GB. You can not use SDXC, which are available as 48 and 64GB cards.

You should also be able to use any class, although the highest classes (fastest transfer rate) may be faster than your camera is capable of transferring. That's okay. The card will just operate at the camera's speed.

I have a K10D. Like your K100D, it does not have video, or an extremely high burst rate. Therefore, I don't like to use cards larger than 4GB. I shoot RAW+JPEG and I can fit about 256 shots on a 4GB. If a card goes bad or I lose a card, that's more than I want to lose. I never shoot more than that in any single session, anyway.
03-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

SDHC is the only defining factor regarding size of the memory card as far as I know - any SDHC will work fine, upto the 32gb size (new cards beyond that size will be SDXC). You'll also be able to use any class card as well, though a Class 4 card will be plenty for both of your cameras.

If you have the latest firmware on the *ist DS then it will also take SDHC cards (that is specifically what the last firmware update was issued for), so all of the above will apply.

Of course, a 32GB card is pretty big overkill for these cameras. Even shooting raw with an 8gb card in the k100d will likely yield 800-900 images.

Edit: Ninja'd^.
03-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #4

Just make sure you use the reliable brand.

I am using Sandisk Extreme III 4GB SDHC in my K100D and a Patriot 8GB Class 6 as backup card.
Both are reliable. I used to have a 4GB SD card totally dead after I found some pictures were corrupted.