Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

tethering cord/usb questions

Hi all
I want/need to tether my KM. I haven't yet downloaded the program cause I cant get a cord long enough. I seem to have a lot of conflicting advice.

I want to put the KM on a pole ( which I have already and use with reasonable success ).
The pole max height is 3.6 metres. I rarely use it at that height but may need to so would like to leave that option open. I am also working outside using only the battery on the laptop for power. ( no electricity )

So I need the usb connection from the camera to the laptop.......but what precisely do I need? Some say it must be self powered ( the cord ) others say it just wont work at that length, some say I cant cobble extensions together to get the length I need, some say I can. The local computer shop has no idea ....

So can anyone explain in laymen's terms what I DO need?

cheers
Jan

03-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

download the program first (i assume its PKTether) and use the USB cord that came with the camera to see if it works in the first place. It worked fine for my K7 and K20 and the cord doesnt need to be powered but you DO need to have an SD card in the camera.

I have a 15 ft (5 meter approx) extension cord that I havent used yet. I guess we'll both figure out if it'll work.
03-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What about something like this: http://www.iogear.com/press/presskit/datasheet/GUW101KIT/GUW101KIT.pdf?PHPSE...7222c426f536f8
You can get an automotive battery and an inverter to power the hub. You would still need a regular USB cable between the camera and the hub, which you can put adjacent to each other.....just a thought.....
04-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok sorting out the laptop tonight ( I use mac.....the lappy will be xp )and will download the program and see if its a goer!
Stay tuned lol
cheers
Jan

04-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eh... sorry if I dissapoint you, but you mention KM? PK_Tether only supports the following models currently:

Pentax k-x, K7, K5, k-r, K20D, K10D, K200.

PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras

As for USB Cables, the USB standard says that the maximum length is about 5 meters (as I recall it off-hand) without line drivers. However, you may buy longer cables up to about 10 meters with built-in drivers in any well-assorted computer store. They aren't that expensive.

B.R. / Steen G. B.
04-01-2011, 03:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Darn I cant get it to open anyway.....I downloaded the zipfile on Vista and unzipped it in xp and it tells me........the application failed to initialize properly ( 0xc0000135 )........
The latest version has updates for km/k2000.........if I can get it to work!
Phooey I cant get it to run..........tried opening the zipfile on the vista and copying the files to xp and it still fails to initilize.......I gotta be doing something wrong
cheers
Jan

Last edited by janstew; 04-01-2011 at 03:30 AM.
04-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You also need to download .NET 4.0 from Microsoft update. That's how the program communicates with the camera. Don't worry, its painless. Just look for .NET 4.0 on Google and it should send you to the appropriate Microsoft download site.

04-07-2011, 04:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All I want to do is see the image on my screen after the exposure is captured. Is this what I need or is there something simpler? PK claims that you can make changes to the camera from the PC. All I want to do is view the image. Is this what I'm looking for?
04-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Do you need to set the aperture/shutter, etc. from the laptop?

Or do you really need a remote trigger + and eye-fi card?
04-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
All I want to do is see the image on my screen after the exposure is captured. Is this what I need or is there something simpler? PK claims that you can make changes to the camera from the PC. All I want to do is view the image. Is this what I'm looking for?
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Do you need to set the aperture/shutter, etc. from the laptop?

Or do you really need a remote trigger + and eye-fi card?
PKRemote takes complete control of the camera. Your shutter button becomes your mouse pointing at a box in a window. The shutter button does not release the shutter. Yes, you can see the images after they are taken on the screen of the computer. Images are not recorded to the card in the camera though the camera must have a card in it. PKRemote has an 8 shot buffer that must be cleared or saved when full (it does have an auto save option). Not all shooting modes are supported yet (K5).

04-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

All that I'd like to do is take a shot with my camera and have the result come up on my computer screen. I still want the image to be saved to the card....if that's not possible, I can live with it. But at this point I'm not looking for any functionality from the computer other than a screen to view the image so its something better than my lcd on the back of the camera.
04-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

All that I'd like to do is take a shot with my camera and have the result come up on my computer screen.
What camera do you have? If you have a Pentax k-x, K7, K5, k-r, K20D, K10D or K200D, then PKTether should work for you.
PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
This is the interface:
Name:  PK_Tether.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  50.5 KB

Remember this is for Windows written using the .Net framework, so step one of the installation is to ensure you have the .Net framework v3.5 or better installed. (You probably already have it on your system if you are running an up-to-date Windows PC).

Once you have the .Net framework installed, then download and run Pktether.
04-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
Inactive Account

All that I'd like to do is take a shot with my camera and have the result come up on my computer screen. I still want the image to be saved to the card....if that's not possible, I can live with it. But at this point I'm not looking for any functionality from the computer other than a screen to view the image so its something better than my lcd on the back of the camera.
RAWRs screen shot shows what you get. It basically mimics the pentax remote assistant used on the K10d and K20d. This is a feature by the way, that we were told, I forget by whom, was impossible due to the existing hardware in post K20d cameras. It was Never going to be possible with the K-x type line. Anyway, the Remote Assistant wouldn't save to a card either. There was no limit to the shots but each had to be saved after each shot IIRC. IMO, even the 8 shot buffer is an improvement.

04-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

With PKTether the image is still saved to the card.

In fact, as the author of PKTether notes, a SD card has to be in the camera for PK_Tether to work properly in the first place.

By the way, Pentax hardware since the K10 always could be tethered. However for the more recent bodies like the Kx, K-5 etc, nobody (including Pentax) had bothered to write the software to do it.

CORRECTION: The recorded images may not be saved to the SD card, but will be saved direct to disk. I just tested PK_Tether with my K200D and K-x and in both cases the images were saved to the computer but not to the camera's SD card.

Also I found that PK_Tether works best (is more responsive) if the 'Autosave' option is turned on. Also note that if you set things up to shoot RAW+, the volume of data movement will make PK_Tether seem to work rather slowly.

Last edited by rawr; 04-07-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Correction
04-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
PKRemote takes complete control of the camera. Your shutter button becomes your mouse pointing at a box in a window. The shutter button does not release the shutter. Yes, you can see the images after they are taken on the screen of the computer. Images are not recorded to the card in the camera though the camera must have a card in it. PKRemote has an 8 shot buffer that must be cleared or saved when full (it does have an auto save option). Not all shooting modes are supported yet (K5).

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
With PKTether the image is still saved to the card.

In fact, as the author of PKTether notes, a SD card has to be in the camera for PK_Tether to work properly in the first place.

By the way, Pentax hardware since the K10 always could be tethered. However for the more recent bodies like the Kx, K-5 etc, nobody (including Pentax) had bothered to write the software to do it.

CORRECTION: The recorded images may not be saved to the SD card, but will be saved direct to disk. I just tested PK_Tether with my K200D and K-x and in both cases the images were saved to the computer but not to the camera's SD card.

Also I found that PK_Tether works best (is more responsive) if the 'Autosave' option is turned on. Also note that if you set things up to shoot RAW+, the volume of data movement will make PK_Tether seem to work rather slowly.
Yes, I can read the notes too