Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Where are the Pentax users: An Informal Survey

Over the last nine months, I conducted an "informal" survey of who is carried what SLR brand. Over this nine-month period, I visited several tourists spots in Colorado and Texas, and during my photography I counted the number of people carrying which brand. ( I discounted professional photographers)

Early last summer, in Colorado,Canon won hands-down. Eg. 90% Canon the rest Nikon.

Last fall, also in Colorado, there was a more even split, about 65% Canon, the rest Nikon.

This spring, in Texas, we are back to an almost all Canon crowd.

Durring this period, I saw one person carry a Sony SLR.

Now the bad news. I did not see another individual carry or use a Pentax SLR. Not One!

The good news, some people who observed that I was shooting a Pentax KX, ask me about the camera, ergo if I liked my KX. Also, owners of other brands, including professional photographers, were generally well disposed to Pentax. in fact, I never heard anyone make any negative comments about the brand.

04-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is the OK brand nobody wants to buy.

It's like cars. If you have lots of money you go for a Merc or a BMW; almost never for a Jaguar.

I like my Jag.
04-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #3

Hey!
Pentax is known in Europe. I saw ads for Pentax in the local Kristiansand, Norway newspaper in '09, and in Belgium last year a young man used mine to take my photo (yeah, it was the FIRST time I ever let anyone do that) and he said, "Oh, Pentax!." And nurses in the USA and Norway recognize Pentax from scopes used in the operating rooms.
I'm proud to shoot Pentax. Just bought a used K10d to go with the K10d I already have.
Irene Sophie
04-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by irene sophie Quote
Hey!
Pentax is known in Europe. I saw ads for Pentax in the local Kristiansand, Norway newspaper in '09, and in Belgium last year a young man used mine to take my photo (yeah, it was the FIRST time I ever let anyone do that) and he said, "Oh, Pentax!." And nurses in the USA and Norway recognize Pentax from scopes used in the operating rooms.
I'm proud to shoot Pentax. Just bought a used K10d to go with the K10d I already have.
Irene Sophie
I live in the Canadian Territory of Nunavut. Because of my job, I travel extensively. I've had a lot of "What's that?" and "Nice camera" but I've never seen another Pentax. Mostly Nikon asI think about.

04-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
Over the last nine months, I conducted an "informal" survey of who is carried what SLR brand. Over this nine-month period, I visited several tourists spots in Colorado and Texas, and during my photography I counted the number of people carrying which brand. ( I discounted professional photographers)

Early last summer, in Colorado,Canon won hands-down. Eg. 90% Canon the rest Nikon.

Last fall, also in Colorado, there was a more even split, about 65% Canon, the rest Nikon.

This spring, in Texas, we are back to an almost all Canon crowd.

Durring this period, I saw one person carry a Sony SLR.

Now the bad news. I did not see another individual carry or use a Pentax SLR. Not One!

The good news, some people who observed that I was shooting a Pentax KX, ask me about the camera, ergo if I liked my KX. Also, owners of other brands, including professional photographers, were generally well disposed to Pentax. in fact, I never heard anyone make any negative comments about the brand.

What part of Texas do you vacation in? I am in East Texas. I have two pentax dslrs,and one Ricoh slr.(KR5 Super2) I don't run into many Pentax owners myself.
04-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

A large reason why it may be difficult to find a Pentax usually boils down to a combination of a few factors: your location, your local agent and your local shops.

Where I am, Pentax is easily available in the shops and sales are pretty brisk. Yesterday after my local Pentax user outing, one K-x user I was with decided to buy a K-5. We walked into a local shop and he had a choice of silver or black and was a happy K-5 user all in the space of 15 minutes. During that time a young couple walked in and picked up a white K-r. According to the salesman, even Canon and Nikon users are switching to Pentax.