Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 03:57 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Real creepy question is when I see K200 RAW files are about 16MB when K-7's are about 14MB, I guess that shows K-7 compresses RAW files, I hope it is using a not a lossy compression method like Nikon does. Anyone knows?
PEF compression is lossless. No information lost, just stored in a more compact form. Also note the higher file sizes don't necessarily indicate more detail. They might as well just indicate more noise. The more a signal resembles noise, the less compressible it becomes.

BTW, your comparison images differ in so many ways that you can not honestly believe you are seeing a difference between CCD vs CMOS. You'd need a much more controlled experiment to even begin to touch up the differences.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
TBH, I don't think any of the images posted expose the differences(if at all possible) given that were talking minute dynamic range difference, and so I'm guessing your images are showing the in-camera settings/processing between both units rather than that of substantial image attributes.
+1

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I dowloaded the raw of the "peppers" And opened them both in lightroom and applied the exact same WB to each and did a resize for upload and nothing more, here are the results-
Your nice comparison shows that the backgrounds are very different in the two images. One cannot even begin to start discussing sensor differences when the comparison images differ that much.

04-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Your nice comparison shows that the backgrounds are very different in the two images. One cannot even begin to start discussing sensor differences when the comparison images differ that much.
And thats exactly why i didnt say which one i think is better because they are not the same image and because its not a controlled enviroment it makes no sense to make a valid comparison
04-04-2011, 05:26 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
PEF compression is lossless. No information lost, just stored in a more compact form.

BTW, your comparison images differ in so many ways that you can not honestly believe you are seeing a difference between CCD vs CMOS. You'd need a much more controlled experiment to even begin to touch up the differences.
Your answer about PEF is very intriguing, do you mean DNG compression is lossy on K-7 maybe even in K-5?

Also, I believe tests should be separated as real life experiments and lab/studio experiments, you can never control everything in real life tests, at least clouds are moving sun is moving etc, if you are against real life experiments you know what to do.
04-04-2011, 05:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both a K10D and K7D.

I use them interchangeably, (sort of) and can tell you that neither camera is a bad camera, but the K10D definitely has a much lower dynamic range

it is very very prone to blown highlights.

My biggest issue with the K10D and the K200 is the same sensor, so I believe it applies is that it is best at low ISO and low contrast shots, due to the limited dynamic range.

The K7 is much better at higher iso, and much better at very harsh lighting situations.

Actually they make a good pairing due to the differences in sensors.

04-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #20
A-z
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
When you say a good pairing, is there somethings that you like better about the k10 sensor?

I'm looking at getting a K10D (or K200D) as I need a WR body to supplement my k-x and i'm being thrifty on a body due to LBA
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Your answer about PEF is very intriguing, do you mean DNG compression is lossy on K-7 maybe even in K-5?
DNG compression is not lossy either.
One of the DNG variants may specify a lossy compression scheme but that is definitely not used for "Converted DNG"s or in DNGs from the K-7/K-5.

... if you are against real life experiments you know what to do.
I'm not against "real life experiments" per se, but if one cannot control certain variables one should not hope to discover differences as subtle as CMOS vs CCD rendering.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
When would you prefer the K10D (in terms of its sensor)?
04-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

what I noticed between the two is the saturation level. but I would have to say that the only difference between the two cameras are their performance and capabilty/functionality. the K200D's High ISO performance is fairly good as well considering it's age and it's capability during it's time. it's still a decent camera in today's age honestly speaking.