Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HELP! Dead DL.

A request for help from my daughter Kylie.
Kylie was shooting with her DL, popped the on board flash up for a shot, pressed the shutter button and heard an 'electronic pop/fizz'....the camera went dead, she turned it off & on a few times and it came good.

A few days later the same thing happened, and it will not come back on, she has changed batteries (eneloops) etc etc etc....but nothing, its as dead as a doormat.

Any clues, ideas or theories (alien intervention has been ruled out, but hopeful for divine intervention).

Thanks people.

10-27-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On the second go-round, was the (attempted) use of the onboard flash involved? Or just the pop-fizz-arrrrggggghhhh?

Sounds like something shorted out. Do these things have internal fuses or fusible links?

I'd quit trying to turn it on, out of knowledge that something is out of whack and concern that I'd only make it worse.

May be worth sending it off to Pentax for an estimate on repair.

Or you might use it as an excuse to give her your camera and get a new one for yourself.
10-27-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Mike,
Yes, she was using the flash the second time around as well.
Hoping to find out if anyone else has been down this path amd knows whether or not it is worth throwing money at repairs.
Kylie thinks your other suggestion is a really good one.......thanks mate!
10-27-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You're not the first "unlucky" Pentax DSLR user who have reported the burnt-out of the built-in flash led to the death of the DSLR.

What you can do is to get the unit to Pentax for repairing and pay them the charge. Or, you just left the body dead as it is now and buy another (Pentax? - will it burnt again?) DSLR to replace the dead body.

p.s. I have several *ist D, DS and the K100D and this commonly reported burnt RTF problem has never happened for me, very fortunately! :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
A request for help from my daughter Kylie.
Kylie was shooting with her DL, popped the on board flash up for a shot, pressed the shutter button and heard an 'electronic pop/fizz'....the camera went dead, she turned it off & on a few times and it came good.

A few days later the same thing happened, and it will not come back on, she has changed batteries (eneloops) etc etc etc....but nothing, its as dead as a doormat.

Any clues, ideas or theories (alien intervention has been ruled out, but hopeful for divine intervention).

Thanks people.

10-27-2007, 06:15 AM   #5

Id say pick up a good condition used or a new K100D body. The cost of repairs most likely will be only marginally less than a brand new body. And I dont know but since the DL is discontinued it may be more expensive/take longer for pentax to get the parts or what nots and repair it.

Best of luck!
Thanks
10-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting.
Michael, for your claim of the 'commonly reported problem' I have not been over run with responses from people telling me of their experiences and the costs associated with any repairs.

As this is a shameless bump for info (for the final time).....has anyone had a similar problem and can you give me some idea of what costs were associated with the repairs? The reason I am asking is that I do not want to consign the camera to the scrap heap if it is indeed a 'common problem' yet in-expensive to repair. If it is any more than a couple of hundred $$$ then it is on its way to the bin.
Thankyou.
10-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My (very limited) experience with sending stuff like that off for repair (not to Pentax) is that the shop will give an estimate before proceeding with any repairs. Once you hear the estimate you can either authorize the repairs, tell them to send it back, or ask them to dispose of it for you.

There may still be an economically retrievable baby in that bath water. Contact Pentax and find out where you would have to send it.
10-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
My (very limited) experience with sending stuff like that off for repair (not to Pentax) is that the shop will give an estimate before proceeding with any repairs. Once you hear the estimate you can either authorize the repairs, tell them to send it back, or ask them to dispose of it for you.

There may still be an economically retrievable baby in that bath water. Contact Pentax and find out where you would have to send it.
Thats the next step Mike, I was trying to cut a couple of corners here, but looks like its not going to work. Unfortuneatly many of these places now charge a quotation fee of some $100 which would be better off put towards a new one.
Oh the throw away society.
Cheers.

10-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you do end up tossing it, then it may be interesting to try opening it up yourself.

You may see something that looks obvious and easily fixable, though that isn't likely, of course.

You will learn something about the innards of these things that the rest of us will never know. And as long as it's going in the trash anyway, you don't have to worry about putting it all back together and having it work.

I agree with you about the throw away society. I think I'll go hug my 1930s box Brownie....which still works just fine.
10-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Before tossing it why not write an email to Pentax AU if there is a regional branch. If there isn't one there then the next closest country should be able to assist you. My local Pentax guy has no estimate fee at all and most likely would be aware of the problem if it was common.
10-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Unfortuneatly many of these places now charge a quotation fee of some $100 which would be better off put towards a new one.
Although this is true, the good shops usually put that money towards the cost of the repair.
If it's just a burned out fuse or resister the chances are that it'll only cost that $100.00

Lots of luck with it.
10-28-2007, 01:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Get in touch with CR Kennedy, they are the australian importers and distributors of everything pentax and sigma, so they would be the ones to deal with. Their quote fee (for the last lens i sent down) was something like $35, so its not too bad if it cant be fixed. Of course, they dont actually charge you this as well if you decide to get it fixed.

Just explain the problem in as much detail on their contact form to hopefully cut the quote fee completely.
10-28-2007, 05:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Interesting.
Michael, for your claim of the 'commonly reported problem' I have not been over run with responses from people telling me of their experiences and the costs associated with any repairs.

Sorry to here of your misfortune.

Actually, I don't know if it is reported enough to be common, but there have been enough posts on various forums to indicate that the internal flash may be a weak point for Pentax DSLRs. I've heard of this happening across all of the models. One of my DS's failed. I have had no problems with the other DS, or my K10D, but I hardly ever raise the flash on either.

They had to replace the circuit board on the failed unit. Of, course they didn't say which board, so I don't know if the flash circuit is a separate board from the main board or integrated on the main board.

As to cost, I can't help there. Fortunately, my DS was still in warranty when it failed.
10-28-2007, 06:03 AM   #14
Inactive Account

As Alan and Rice (I never thought I would be saying this in the same context with Rice as a source) Have stated there have been reports of the internal flash circuit board going bad. I have a DL also and use the on board flash very little so I have not experienced this. I have read over the past 3 years on other forums about this problem and most were taken care of under warranty. But being an older camera and out of warranty I would contact Pentax with an Email or even CR Kennedy and ask what the cost would be to replace the board. It may be worth it to repair. But then again Mike had a very good suggestion about giving her your's and you getting a new one, remember there are new offerings coming in Jan.
10-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you one and all for your input. I have contacted CR Kennedy for advice and will wait & see what that is.
To Mike & David ....Kylie thinks your idea is marvellous . Thanks guys I do note that with the current exchange rates I can get a new K10D in HK for approx $775 aud.....which is tempting.
Grant