Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
Hi,

Well testing is well under way, the pic aint more interesting yet (after plenty of vodka), but it is getting dam hard to type, every word wrong. Oh well keep on testing

Phil

Good stuff, I think I'll try to replicate your findings

dave

11-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #152
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
SDM is definitely faster then FA
In fact, one evening two friends of mine brought their gear to do the testing of AF in real life. We did that in low light enviroment, in local pub.
Opposition was:
Canon EOS 1 Mark II with 70-200/2.8 L
Nikon D 80 with 70-200/2.8 VR
and my K 10 D with DA* 50-135/2.8

We tried to change focus between two points, one was about ten feet, the other was about thirty feet from us, with central focus point active.
Conclusion was: they performed the same, and as long as we aimed correct on an contrast point, focus was equally fast, and locked, when we aimed at some dull point without contrast, focus wasn't obtained. And all three performed the same.

Testing was performed by Sports photographer of the year in Croatia, professional for many years, he is using Canon, so I am confident in results. He said that the result varies in ability to pinpoint the contrast point, and that is skill of a photographer. As far as he is concerned, lens and body from Pentax are top notch.

Forgive me for my bad English, if any.
11-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Kresica your English was just fine and clear straight to the point.
11-05-2007, 02:58 AM   #154
kay

Thanks for that, Kresica! Very interesting The comparison shot with the competitoin is great - it demonstrates the relatively small size of the Pentax gear quite nicely!

11-05-2007, 03:20 AM   #155
Veteran Member

No mattetr how hard I found it to believe that Pentax or any other company would use new tecnology that performes worse than than the old one, I was still affraid that it might be true.
Kresica's post confirms that this is yet another RH's rambling based on a fraction of truth.
11-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #156

Hi all. I`m a happy K10D user from Brazil. Happy user...However, last weekend I used the
k10D/FA 50 mm/DA 18-55 with fgz360 in a wedding. The AF.S (center spot AF) worked very slow. Shoot walking people was difficult because the AF was VERY slow.

The canon 30d with 18-55 mm is much faster.

While the 30d could focus in less than 1 second, the k10d/18-55 mm worked the same down light scene in 3-4 s.
The majority of photos had perfect focus, but the AF is very slow.

Another issue: When the FGZ360 AF assist lamp worked, the K10D AF get a faster focus lock. But, the AF assist lamp only works under very low light conditions...

What`s the problem?

Regards,

Pablo

Last edited by mac-lister; 11-22-2007 at 11:06 AM.
11-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mac-lister Quote
Hi all. I`m a happy K10D user from Brazil. Happy user...However, last weekend I used the
k10D/FA 50 mm/DA 18-55 with fgz360 in a wedding. The AF.S (center spot AF) worked very slow. Shoot walking people was difficult because the AF was VERY slow.

The canon 30d with 18-55 mm is much faster.

While the 30d could focus in less than 1 second, the k10d/18-55 mm worked the same down light scene in 3-4 s.
The majority of photos had perfect focus, but the AF is very slow.

What`s the problem?

Regards,

Pablo
Well... the problem is that Pentax AF tracking is ... errrr... how can I put it.... pretty inefective (especially in low light)?

(Compared to Canon and Nikon at least).

I don't know if it improves with the SDM lenses... but I wouldn't count on it, it's rather a matter of implementing a better algorithm.

11-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
No mattetr how hard I found it to believe that Pentax or any other company would use new tecnology that performes worse than than the old one, I was still affraid that it might be true.
Kresica's post confirms that this is yet another RH's rambling based on a fraction of truth.
Trying hard here to follow the tiny bit of useful info in this thread and I don't understand this comment. Didn't Kresica's post show that the SDM focusing on the Pentax da* 50-135 (a lens I own myself) was just as fast as comparable lenses from Canon and Nikon? And if that's the case, then what's valid in RH's original post -- or why would you say that the new focusing technology may actually be worse than the old?

Will

P.S. Would someone PLEASE explain to Rice High that the word "measurbator" does not have positive connotations?
11-22-2007, 11:14 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Trying hard here to follow the tiny bit of useful info in this thread and I don't understand this comment. Didn't Kresica's post show that the SDM focusing on the Pentax da* 50-135 (a lens I own myself) was just as fast as comparable lenses from Canon and Nikon? And if that's the case, then what's valid in RH's original post -- or why would you say that the new focusing technology may actually be worse than the old?

Will

P.S. Would someone PLEASE explain to Rice High that the word "measurbator" does not have positive connotations?
I read it as if he WAS affraid RH might have been right but that Kresica's post reassured him he was not.
11-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
I read it as if he WAS affraid RH might have been right but that Kresica's post reassured him he was not.
Ah, yes, now I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Glad to hear it!

As I say here frequently, I do NOT carry a yardstick, focus chart or stopwatch with me when I go out to take photos. But I've taken a couple thousand shots with the DA* 50-135 and my impression is that it is a really nice lens. I am very happy with its results, at least when I do my part. The quiet focus still surprises me a bit, but the overall experience certainly doesn't seem WORSE than the experience of using my "normal" lenses.

Will
11-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #161
Inactive Account

Well... the problem is that Pentax AF tracking is ... errrr... how can I put it.... pretty inefective (especially in low light)?

(Compared to Canon and Nikon at least).

I don't know if it improves with the SDM lenses... but I wouldn't count on it, it's rather a matter of implementing a better algorithm.
Hm, I admit that I haven't tried this with my 50-135, but I was very satisfied with AF tracking and my DA 16-45, I used it for car races on one occasion.

But I promise that I'll try!
11-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #162
kay

That is a great photo!
11-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kresica Quote
Hm, I admit that I haven't tried this with my 50-135, but I was very satisfied with AF tracking and my DA 16-45, I used it for car races on one occasion.

But I promise that I'll try!
Strangely enough, it goes to prove that the K10 has less difficulty following a race car in daylight than following walking people in low light....

Excellent picture by the way.
11-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"The thing is that in the film days, the strain put on the AF/AE systems was much less.

The precision required to focus with film is much less than for digital, plus, how many tme were you looking at your picture enlarged to the equivalent of 100% view on screen?"

Hi, I've been following this with, I hope, an unbiased attitude. While RH can be, and is, "abrasive", he's not been alone. That said, I have a question about the above statement from Will about AF/AE systems. I don't understand why digital is more difficult than film. I mean, getting something in focus shouldn't be any different, should it???

Chip B
11-23-2007, 03:47 AM   #165
Inactive Account

Strangely enough, it goes to prove that the K10 has less difficulty following a race car in daylight than following walking people in low light....

Excellent picture by the way.

Thanks
OK, I'll try something tonight, and post it here.