Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2007, 04:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Certainly, assuming that limit-to-limit timings of a lens drive with a lens cap on is necessarily any indication of actual focus speed is a childishly facile piece of experimental design, and it may be that much of RH's so-called measurebation is equally flawed.
I think the test reveals well enough for the AF motor drive speed (alone) when SDM motor or body AF screw-drive motor is used. Of course, it is not completely indicative for the overall AF *system* time. But the driving ability does form an essential part for the overall AF performance of the whole system, I believe.

10-27-2007, 04:08 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
ChrisA - like I really care about your opinion of me. I know Ricehigh loves it when he gets people like you to champion his cause.

Ricehigh has been banned from every photography chatroom bar this one - for his nastiness mainly (see if you can bring up old DPR threads from him). He is a person who gets off on putting others down and yes people like him really get my hackles up.

He just can't seem to accept that no one is disputing that his $3,000 plus camera is better than a $1,000 camera and no one is claiming that Pentax's AF is perfect and maybe it can be improved. I will however state that my $400 camera is perfect for me, has adequate AF for me and I bet he could not tell the difference between a shot from my *istDS and a canon 5D.

If people like Ricehigh have a problem with Pentax they can do as he has done and by a more expensive camera and not spend all their time denigrating a camera and those that buy it.

You really have to ask what is this guys motive and who is funding the blog and camera purchases etc - considering when he first started attacking Pentax on DPR it was because he was supposedly poor and trapped into the inferior Pentax system - then all of a sudden he can afford K100d just to test along with a Canon 5D and lenses.
10-27-2007, 04:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Thats a totally OT point, but I do agree with it Nevermind about k20d, give us k1d I want to upgrade not update
Me too! I want the K1D to be a Full Frame camera too!!

But since Pentax had already abandoned their full frame lens line, it seems that my Pentax FF dream can never come true, though, unless they wake up again that closed down excellent FA lens lines some days in teh future. (I'm dreaming again, I know :-( )
10-27-2007, 04:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Ricehigh has been banned from every photography chatroom bar this one - for his nastiness mainly (see if you can bring up old DPR threads from him). He is a person who gets off on putting others down and yes people like him really get my hackles up.
Actually, I opted to ignore you but I think I should say something this time.

I was banned from the DPR and the Steve's Forum but is still ALIVE at the PhotoZone and Here. The former two are commercial places which earn their livings directly or indirectly from camera sales and/or from camera manufacturers. The later two examples are non-commercial places, that's the main difference IMHO.

Also, I have never "gets off on putting others down". I just expressed my opinions and share my findings. If you feel just offended or upset when I post some information that you found "negative", I can't help (you) in any means as that's just what you think and imagine yourself personally - and that's your own feeling, which I can't control.

Last edited by RiceHigh; 10-27-2007 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Typo Correction
10-27-2007, 04:27 AM   #20
and
Veteran Member

FF k1d with a new line of DFA* lenses (FA* with WeatherSeals, QS and SDM). It would kick ass, who can argue with that.

Yes we can only dream..........
10-27-2007, 04:38 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Don't happy so fast with such "compliment" as you suppose. Please look back to the basic question from just an end user perspective: IF the "top"-of-the-*Pentax*-line K10D does not satisfy his need, what ELSE can he/she, as a Pentax system user, can get to substitute??

For Canon and Nikon users, they have always upwards or downwards paths, e.g.:

Nikon: D40 -> D40X -> D80 -> D200 / S5 Pro -> D300 -> D2Xs -> D3
Canon: 350D -> 400D -> 30D -> 40D -> 5D -> 1D -> 1DS

Pentax? K100D <-> K10D???
If a company has a camera and lenses I can't afford what good is it to me? It's like saying a Ferrari is faster than a Toyota. So what? I can't afford the Ferrari. And I can't afford the 5D or the lenses that go with it. I can however afford a K10D and a 30 yr old 300mm manual focus lens that allow me to get pictures I couldn't get with ANY canon system I can afford. Yes, it's nice that a $3k camera and a $4K lens are fast, fast, fast, and sharp, sharp, sharp. They'd better be for a combined $7K. For 1/7th the price I can reach as far and get acceptable IQ, along with shake reduction/image stabilization or what ever you want to call it. AFAIK Canon doesn't even sell an SR/IS 300mm lens for under $1K

NaCl(an upward path that is unaffordable is no upward path)H2O
10-27-2007, 04:40 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I don't give a tinkers about your findings and opinions Ricehigh. I just remember you from DPR when you called me and others racists simply for stating that we were not having the same experiences with our *istDS cameras as you were. You went absolutely tropo when an engineer questioned your testing methods and you were eventually banned. By the way you are no orphan there as I am banned also but for a very different reason.
I tend to speak my mind on these forums and will no doubt be banned from here soon also.

I am no engineer and I am still waiting for an answer on exactly how many seconds slower the Pentax AF is compared to the vastly superior (as claimed by you) canon system should be a relatively simple task for a measurebater such as yourself. All I ever read is subjective "it seems faster etc " which I also read in reviews of the new Pentax SDM - but as you have supposedly proven with the aid of someone else's work it is slower.

I have to admit you are quite polished nowadays and your Anti Pentax blog is seen as a legitimate resource and your writing and english has improved no end from your DPR days which really makes me suspicious about just who is funding all this and why. Yeah I'm a conspiracy nut I know.
10-27-2007, 05:03 AM   #23
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
If a company has a camera and lenses I can't afford what good is it to me? It's like saying a Ferrari is faster than a Toyota. So what? I can't afford the Ferrari. And I can't afford the 5D or the lenses that go with it. I can however afford a K10D and a 30 yr old 300mm manual focus lens that allow me to get pictures I couldn't get with ANY canon system I can afford. Yes, it's nice that a $3k camera and a $4K lens are fast, fast, fast, and sharp, sharp, sharp. They'd better be for a combined $7K. For 1/7th the price I can reach as far and get acceptable IQ, along with shake reduction/image stabilization or what ever you want to call it. AFAIK Canon doesn't even sell an SR/IS 300mm lens for under $1K

NaCl(an upward path that is unaffordable is no upward path)H2O

You are 1 consumer, there are other consumers like you, but then there are also consumer like me, who can afford a Pentax around the $2000 mark. And we are not saying they should only have $2000 dollar cameras, we are saying that if you are using the k10d and its great but you want something better and you realize that that will take more money and are prepared for that, then there should be a camera available for that.

if htey expanded from k100d, k10d to k100d, k10d, k1d. would that cause a problem for you? There are more people in the world than you, you know

10-27-2007, 05:09 AM   #24

For me, here's the bottom line vis-a-vis RiceHigh: First, he has an amazing ability to spew forth "facts" regarding the TECHNICAL aspects of (pick your favorite camera brand name here; he's trashed them all in one way or another!) equipment for the apparent purpose of continuing to get his 15 minutes of "fame". Maybe he's a masochist and gets off on pain!
Second, In the five years I've been aware of his presence on various forums (before sane people finally get so fed up with his negativism they band together and get him kicked off their forum!) I cannot recall ONE SINGLE INSTANT IN WHICH HE POSTED HIS PHOTOS FOR PEER REVIEW OUTSIDE OF USING TRASHY SHOTS TO DISS A GIVEN CAMERA MAKER!
Unless my (admittedly getting older) memory serves me wrongly, this is a PENTAX forum dedicated to photography, its techniques, and most importantly its results—PHOTOGRAPHS, not getting into arguments with a technophobe whose techniques are, at best, highly suspect and designed to create exactly the type of inflammatory rhetoric that this thread has turned into.
RiceHigh, I do not care if you respond to this or not, nor, frankly, do I care about your opinion. Until I see you consistently posting QUALITY PHOTOS to this forum using PENTAX equipment and lenses, I personally will continue to see your postings as worthless, useless and inflammatory, not informative, insightful and trustworthy. You have NO CREDIBILTY as far as I'm concerned, based on my five years of viewing your posts!
Rob W
10-27-2007, 05:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
ChrisA - like I really care about your opinion of me.
I haven't offered an opinion of you. All I've done is comment on the way you and others reply quite aggressively, and in personal terms, to certain posts. I think it is demeaning, and weakens any case made, for people to react in that way.

From the evidence, it does seem you are rude, however, at least online.
10-27-2007, 05:11 AM   #26
and
Veteran Member

Would be fun to see some RH shots in the Post your Photos forum, that I admit, how about it RH?
10-27-2007, 05:12 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Perhaps your comparison and test are true, but I agree with whomever it was that said you are basically comparing apples and oranges. The Canon is a $2800 body and the Pentax an $800 body. What should you expect?

Since everything Pentax is now inferior, why not just write Hoya a letter, include all of your research, and tell them to pull the plug?

Truthfully, your blogs are listed on Pentax sites and I have not read one thing nice from you about Pentax. I am wondering how and why your blog is listed on a Pentax friendly site when you are clearly not Pentax friendly. Wondering.....
10-27-2007, 05:16 AM   #28

Travel time from end to end on a lens is not an indicator of AF speed. Anyone who has changed lenses on their camera knows this.

Its not as simple as this motor spins faster thus it focuses faster. The motor has to react quickly to the requirements of the AF system. In fact, spinning faster may be a detriment to that, due to overshoot.
10-27-2007, 06:12 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree w/ ChrisA, there's no point in ad hominem attacks on what should be an informative forum. If you want to prove that someone is wrong, put up facts and let everyone else judge who the "twit" is.

In case you folks didn't know, the first thread on this was posted on dpreview and not by ricehigh. I found it amusing (the slower SDM focus speed, not the thread) and am glad I didn't get the early SDM lenses which IMHO aren't worthy of the DA* label (though the 50-150 isn't bad), even though I was truly hoping they would be :-P I'm hoping the upcoming patented Pentax lens designs are better...
10-27-2007, 06:26 AM   #30
Not Registered

Why do you go so hardly on Ricehigh? He is an institution, how many posters of the forum can be identified with an acronism like RH?. IMO he should not be banned for 3 reasons: 1) his posts are always fun, 2) he never insult directly to other posters and 3) ... OK there is no 3, but 2 out of 3 is not bad, isnt it?