Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wacky color balance in sequence shooting

When I run my K-7 in high-speed burst mode in RAW, I sometimes get different color balance out of the images. I am baffled as to why. It's not a killer, since I've got plenty of latitude for correction in RAW, but why on earth does it happen?

These were shot in M mode with an old Vivitar Series 1 70-210 @210mm, probably wide open at f/2.5. I pulled them into iPhoto and AFAIK haven't touched either, other than to export them as JPEG.

(Please ignore the egregious exposure & focusing errors in these frames of a barred owl, and concentrate on the color balance.)

What gives?

TIA,

rw

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
04-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Do you have any form of in-camera PP set? I understand that you shoot RAW but these might still be relevant.

I do a lot of Hi continuous shooting and I had a few shots like yours. But very rare... more like 5 in 1,000 shots. (For example, I did 400 shots last Friday without a glitch.)

When I started to shoot burst, right at the beginning with my K-7, I had some trouble with in-camera PP. Now I switch off ALL in-camera PP (*) and i have not more problem, but an occasional shot like yours, but very rare.

NB: (*) I do keep the copyright info as it takes no CPU. I tried with and without copyright infos and it makes no (zero) difference.

Hope that the info will help.
04-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
typical pentax exposure problem

Hi, I've had similar issues on my GX10 (K10 clone) but not my K-X.

I think this is a Pentax white balancing problem. The camera samples small areas across the image and aims to set a balance. Minor shifts in image brightness and hue from shot to shot, (could be caused by cloud cover or slight shifts of the camera) seem to be at play here.

No one was able to explain why I got different colour balanced images in two consecutive shots - I've put it down to a poor quality colour sampling/balancing system in some Pentax cameras. Never heard of this happening with Nikon cameras though.

Now seems to be fixed at least in the K-X as it has never happened with this camera.
04-05-2011, 03:59 AM   #4
Forum Member

The only comment I can add is that my experience with two K5s is that the K5 white balance is much more aggressive than it was with a K7. I always shoot in RAW. I have noticed that the slightest change in the subject can produce a change in white balance. I am assuming you had it set to Auto white balance, as that is the only time I have experienced the problem. Setting it to "Daylight" or any other fixed setting eliminated the problem for me.

04-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
Hi, I've had similar issues on my GX10 (K10 clone) but not my K-X.

I think this is a Pentax white balancing problem. The camera samples small areas across the image and aims to set a balance. Minor shifts in image brightness and hue from shot to shot, (could be caused by cloud cover or slight shifts of the camera) seem to be at play here.
It would have to have been a pretty fast shift, or a supersonic cloud, because I shot these in hi-speed burst mode (i.e., they were a fraction of a second apart). And if you examine the two images you can see that they're pretty much identically framed. Maybe something later in the toolchain is at fault, but IIRC these looked this way on the camera screen too.
04-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I think Delgado raises a possible cause - auto WB - that is what i was using when I got my colour shifts. What were you using for your shots?

Anyway, persevere with your question, I'd really like to know why this happens.
04-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Was definitely auto WB. Maybe I'll get out and shoot a bunch in auto and manual and see what happens. Thanks for the ideas!
04-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
this is normal for the K-5 in my experience... my K-x had better AWB.