Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Upgrading from K20 to newer model

Hi, if anyone upgraded from a K20 to a newer model (whichever one doesn't matter), what were the improvements that made it worth your while to do so?

I'm thinking of replacing my GX10 with a K20 and wonder if it is better to skip the K20 and get a K-R for instance. The K5 is outpriced and the K7 noise signature does not impress me. But some have said that the K7 and K20 noise levels are much the same.

Others have said the the K20 AF system is slow and doesn't track moving subjects well.

I'd love to know what your experience was.

Thanks

04-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From your description, the K-r seems an optimum and your best choice if you do not need WR.
04-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't need weather sealing, or the extra controls offered by the K20/k5, the kr is your best bet. It has somewhat better dynamic range and noise control than the K20, although not up to the K5 level.
04-05-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The only reason why you wouldn't go for a K-r in your situation would be for a need to have weather resistance and advanced customisation of the camera as well as important features at your fingertips. These aspects are much better satisfied by the K-7, though of course you will be crippled somewhat by how much sensitivity you could push from the camera. The AF algorithm on the K-7 is relatively advanced, though not as good in tracking as the K-r/K-5. Overall, the K-r has all the boxes ticked, including value for money, and would be a great camera if not being subjected to significant natural elements.

04-05-2011, 04:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
i upgraded my k100 to a k20 and absolutely love it.

figure you can find a k20 refurb for @500 with the kit lens.

sell the lens on here for 80-100 and you get the body for like 400 or so...

I like all the k20 controls and the ability to tweak everything out.

and I like finally having a more "pro" camera.

everything works better on this thing--including accessories like my metz flash.

I have pretty much decided that I will only buy the upper level pentax camera from now on, I will just by it 2-3 years after it goes up for sale so that it costs 500$ instead of 1500$.

already thinking about that k5 I'm gonna buy in 2013!
04-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by steveeboy Quote
i upgraded my k100 to a k20 and absolutely love it.

figure you can find a k20 refurb for @500 with the kit lens.

sell the lens on here for 80-100 and you get the body for like 400 or so...

I like all the k20 controls and the ability to tweak everything out.

and I like finally having a more "pro" camera.

everything works better on this thing--including accessories like my metz flash.

I have pretty much decided that I will only buy the upper level pentax camera from now on, I will just by it 2-3 years after it goes up for sale so that it costs 500$ instead of 1500$.

already thinking about that k5 I'm gonna buy in 2013!
Good luck to get 80-100 back. It's mission impossible.
04-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the views guys, I'm inclined to think that the K-r is the best bet - I would never use a camera out in the rain so WR is not an issue for me. Locally second hand K20s are as scarce as hens teeth and the old stock still popping up on various websites is at rip off prices for an obsolete camera.
04-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Moving from the K-10 to the K-5 is the first move I thought worthwhile. Really, it's the much faster AF and better low-light ability which was the impetus. Plus, I think my K-10 has started to develop some quirks, maybe I'll have it professionally cleaned. When it takes good pictures, they're great, but I just miss too many I think I should get when the focus doesn't work properly.

I may wind up giving or selling the K-10 (for cheap) to a buddy. If so, I'll calibrate the focus with the kit lens and figure out what's going on.