Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

Kx....wow!

Well,

I just got my new Kx yesterday before I left for work. After I got home 12 hours later (agony) I finally got to take it out of the box and play with it a bit.

Now mind you, I had been on the fence a bit about purchasing a new camera. I have a much loved K100D-Super that works great for most all of the pictures that I take. Then after I ordered this camera (during shipping) I read that there is a good possibility that the Kr may have had the FF issue resolved in newer units...leading me to think that maybe I should return the Kx and buy a Kr instead...and then I thought...what's $150 on top of the price of a Kr, just buy a K-7. (I sometimes hate buying new toys...)

Well, after I shot the first picture in auto-pic mode, I was absolutely blown away. This was a shot that was difficult at best for my K100DS. It's a lamp in a somewhat dark room about 10ft + away. No flash, auto white balance fairly accurate, iso 1600 decent given conditions, auto focus dead-on with no hunting, exposure accurate...I had to chimp several time to make sure my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I quickly walked around the house and shot a few more things. I'm shocked at how well the auto-focus works compared to the K100D. With live-view, I'm also now NOT considering a split screen for the viewfinder. My mind may change regarding this over time.

There is NO question about keeping the Kx. I see no need in spending an extra $100-250 when this will do everything I need. I still love my K100DS and still am not sure what to do with it...keep it or sell it to someone who is starting out.

Can't wait for my trip to London and Paris next month!!!

I love my pentax gear....Spottie to Kx.

04-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Can't see anything
04-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree 100% . Love my k-x. Now you'll have to add a K-X tag to your sig file!
04-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dwhopson Quote
keep it or sell it to someone who is starting out.
Sell it to someone who wants to start out..that way your loved k100ds can let someone get into photography for a reasonable price (unless you need for some reason a backup body..).
And yep, the kx is an amazing machine...i played with Nikon and Canon's 1000d, d60,d3000,and 450d before deciding to buy the Kx and they couldn't match the features/price that the kx offered.

04-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I luv "I luv you, my K-x" threads, cause I luv my K-x so much! )
04-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dwhopson Quote
Well,

I just got my new Kx yesterday before I left for work. After I got home 12 hours later (agony) I finally got to take it out of the box and play with it a bit.

Now mind you, I had been on the fence a bit about purchasing a new camera. I have a much loved K100D-Super that works great for most all of the pictures that I take. Then after I ordered this camera (during shipping) I read that there is a good possibility that the Kr may have had the FF issue resolved in newer units...leading me to think that maybe I should return the Kx and buy a Kr instead...and then I thought...what's $150 on top of the price of a Kr, just buy a K-7. (I sometimes hate buying new toys...)

Well, after I shot the first picture in auto-pic mode, I was absolutely blown away. This was a shot that was difficult at best for my K100DS. It's a lamp in a somewhat dark room about 10ft + away. No flash, auto white balance fairly accurate, iso 1600 decent given conditions, auto focus dead-on with no hunting, exposure accurate...I had to chimp several time to make sure my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I quickly walked around the house and shot a few more things. I'm shocked at how well the auto-focus works compared to the K100D. With live-view, I'm also now NOT considering a split screen for the viewfinder. My mind may change regarding this over time.

There is NO question about keeping the Kx. I see no need in spending an extra $100-250 when this will do everything I need. I still love my K100DS and still am not sure what to do with it...keep it or sell it to someone who is starting out.

Can't wait for my trip to London and Paris next month!!!

I love my pentax gear....Spottie to Kx.
My thoughts exactly.........I love this little camera
04-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The Kx is an amazing camera. I would tend to keep your K100 as a
backup body, but selling it to someone starting out would be a great thing. You would sharing the joy of photography and introducing the excellence of pentax at the same time
04-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you have a young relative who might be interested?
If so, you could mentor another Pentaxian, who might grow to love the craft and creativity.

04-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Agreed, its an extraordinary camera.
04-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K100D can do IR better than any other Pentax body - might be a reason to keep. Could also be used as a dedicated m42 screw mount body by leaving the adapter on all the time.
04-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
hmmm....good thoughts on the K100D body.

Would need a split image screen for screw mount only body...

Have had an interest in IR, but just haven't gotten there yet...
04-07-2011, 03:41 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Your Kx experience is similar to mine. Had a K100d which was a great camera. My 1st DSLR after three Pentax film SLR systems over a span of 35 years. Decided to upgrade to the Kx and keep the K100d for a backup etc. As it turned out the k100d became a shelf queen right beside my film systems that I was always going to get back to using.
Determined that I would not be looking back so finally decided to sell all the old shelf queens.
I'd advise to sell the K100 while it has some good value yet.
04-07-2011, 03:53 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too was a K100D owner, I still have it, and it was my first DSLR, after many film cameras, then last week I bought a used K-x which is almost new. It had 1198 actuations on the shutter, no scratches anywhere not even on the LCD. And I am amazed each time I use it, for what it can do...I too love my K-x.