Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #1

K100D - something's out of alignment here

Sometime in the last month or so, my K100D has lost its sense of "verticality" - every time I try and line up a strong vertical or horizontal element with the frames in the focusing screen, I get a picture that is a little bit skewed to the right.

I would guess this means either the focusing screen or the sensor has been bumped out of alignment. Can anyone give me some tips on how to figure out the real problem, and a rough idea as to how much it would cost to have fixed?

I may be upgrading to a K-r sooner than I thought.....

04-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you done some controlled tests to verify this? The K100 doesn't have a built-in level, after all!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'm headed in the direction of controlled tests, as soon as I can find the time, and my smaller spirit level. My 3-foot framing level isn't quite the right tool for this job.

What I have now are shots lined up via the framing marks in the viewfinder, of things I believe to be reasonably close to horizontal (window frames, the shoreline of the World Showcase Lagoon at Epcot), and they definitely aren't horizontal in the pictures.
04-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This have been my experience with my K10D as well. It always tilt slightly to the right, so I just manually compensate for it. After a while you get the hang on how much to tilt it. Seems to be pretty common with K10D, although this is the first time I've heard it happen to k100D

My K-x doesn't suffer from this problem to the same degree. I've never done controlled tests on it though. Live view is much superior when I want things perfectly lined up anyway (and is always accurate)

04-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I try and line up a strong vertical or horizontal element with the frames in the focusing screen, I get a picture that is a little bit skewed to the right.

Both my bodies do the same thing. The leveling tool in Elements is probably the most used :-(