Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #16

Original Poster
Hm.. So far I've noticed that my flash makes a low buzzing noise when I have the shutter button half released.. Is that normal? Since I'm new to slr cameras, I actually have no idea ):

04-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
You didn't mention what kind of surface the camera fell on to. If carpet, I wouldn't think twice about it. If a hard surface, check the body carefully; sometimes part of the body can become misalaigned--this happened to my K-x after a fall onto hardwood floor. I took it to a camera shop and they fixed it and cleaned sensor for $125. It will cost you much more than that to send it in to Pentax for non-warranty repair. Flash should not be making a low buzzing noise, however. This could be a VALID reason to send it back for warranty repair.
04-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lectrolink Quote
You didn't mention what kind of surface the camera fell on to. If carpet, I wouldn't think twice about it. If a hard surface, check the body carefully; sometimes part of the body can become misalaigned--this happened to my K-x after a fall onto hardwood floor. I took it to a camera shop and they fixed it and cleaned sensor for $125. It will cost you much more than that to send it in to Pentax for non-warranty repair. Flash should not be making a low buzzing noise, however. This could be a VALID reason to send it back for warranty repair.
Oh, mine fell on hardwood floor too..
I think this post might be about the same issue: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/73946-pentax-k2...m-i-think.html

But I'm still unsure, the sound is really kind of frightening to me to be considered "normal." It sounds like someone/something being electrocuted. Haha..
04-11-2011, 03:35 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
The K-x is a sturdy beast. On holiday I was holding my camera whilst walking in a forest, I slipped on a rock and went over like a sack of bricks. Since my camera was in my hand and the instinct is to put your hand down to break the fall, I hit the K-x against the rock VERY hard. You heard the sound as a loud CRACK!! I was dismayed - something must be wrong, right? There was a small crack on the inside left corner where the camera made contact with the rock, and with that sick feeling in my stomach I turned the K-x on and took a photo. Perfect photo. The rest of the holiday, no problems.

I don't know if I was just lucky but the force of that hit would have smashed lesser cameras I'm sure. The k-x is remarkable.

04-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote
The K-x is a sturdy beast. On holiday I was holding my camera whilst walking in a forest, I slipped on a rock and went over like a sack of bricks. Since my camera was in my hand and the instinct is to put your hand down to break the fall, I hit the K-x against the rock VERY hard. You heard the sound as a loud CRACK!! I was dismayed - something must be wrong, right? There was a small crack on the inside left corner where the camera made contact with the rock, and with that sick feeling in my stomach I turned the K-x on and took a photo. Perfect photo. The rest of the holiday, no problems.

I don't know if I was just lucky but the force of that hit would have smashed lesser cameras I'm sure. The k-x is remarkable.
Oh no! That experience must have been heartbreaking!! If your Pentax survived that.. I guess I will stop freaking out so much about my camera and accept the idea that maybe it survived the fall without any problems! Thank you!
04-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ambrosial Quote
Okay, I know the title sounds terrible.. and stupid. ):

Here's what happened:
So I just received my Pentax k-x camera today. My friend was looking at it and left it on the edge of the table. It wasn't long before my precious camera fell off the table and I heard a loud thump. I quickly put in the batteries and sd card and turned on the camera to check if it was okay.

It turned on fine, and everything seems normal.. I was just wondering if it's possible that my camera survived a fall from a kitchen table without any major damage? I see a very small scratch on the bottom of the camera but that is it (for now.)

What kind of damage would slr cameras usually have when dropped?
Don't ever drop an expensive camera. Don't drop any digital camera. No one can tell you with any degree of accuracy, what may have been comprimised after impact. The damage, if any, is something involving thousands of micro-variables; angle of impact, how hard the surface was and many inexplicable physics. I've had my K-x for over a year and have had a couple near falls/drops but was quick enough each time to prevent it. This is one thing I hold myself accountable for. always being aware and conscientious when my camera is anywhere except put up for the night. There may have been electronic damage that was apparent instantly from operation. could have been slight damage in the right way that may be apparent until 50 operation hours from now. the "what may be wrong" question after a hard, dry impact is extremely complex.
04-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

My K200D falls hard two years ago(Almost two meters on concrete, hit by a soccer ball), and it brings a serious issue than i didn't notice at the beginning.

When the shutter speed was more than something like 1/2s, the sensor moves alone, so photos with more than 1/2s poses was faulty...
No kidding.

If you wanna check, use the Tv mode, with a shutter speed like 1 or 2 sec., and listen if there is no mechanical sound in the body every half sec..

04-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
Don't ever drop an expensive camera.
OK then!

Also, don't ever get into a car accident. Don't sprain your ankle. Don't get cancer! And I strongly recommend against ever ending up in a plane crash in the Andes and getting eaten by your teammate on the rugby team.
04-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back in 1996 I had a nice Pentax film slr that got water damage. An ice chest in the back seat of my car, half full of melted ice tipped over and flooded my camera bag.. Water got inside both the body and lens.. it sucked.
04-29-2011, 05:52 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
My K200D falls hard two years ago(Almost two meters on concrete, hit by a soccer ball), and it brings a serious issue than i didn't notice at the beginning.

When the shutter speed was more than something like 1/2s, the sensor moves alone, so photos with more than 1/2s poses was faulty...
No kidding.

If you wanna check, use the Tv mode, with a shutter speed like 1 or 2 sec., and listen if there is no mechanical sound in the body every half sec..
I just checked using Tv mode, and there is no noise at all! Any other tests I should try? ):

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Back in 1996 I had a nice Pentax film slr that got water damage. An ice chest in the back seat of my car, half full of melted ice tipped over and flooded my camera bag.. Water got inside both the body and lens.. it sucked.
I'm sorry for your misfortune.. ):

Should I just send my camera in to be checked? It's still under warranty.. right? ):
05-05-2011, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ambrosial Quote
I just checked using Tv mode, and there is no noise at all! Any other tests I should try? ):
No, no more test for me, if there is no sound in the body, you don't have to worries about.