Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #1

Dropped slr ):

Okay, I know the title sounds terrible.. and stupid. ):

Here's what happened:
So I just received my Pentax k-x camera today. My friend was looking at it and left it on the edge of the table. It wasn't long before my precious camera fell off the table and I heard a loud thump. I quickly put in the batteries and sd card and turned on the camera to check if it was okay.

It turned on fine, and everything seems normal.. I was just wondering if it's possible that my camera survived a fall from a kitchen table without any major damage? I see a very small scratch on the bottom of the camera but that is it (for now.)

What kind of damage would slr cameras usually have when dropped?

04-06-2011, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

If it works, it works!

A couple of years ago I dropped my K20D onto concrete from about waist-high. (My homemade sling strap fell apart, oops!)

It got a bit dinged up -- a small crack in the plastic bottom plate and a tiny chip where the rubber grip meets the plastic body. Other than that, there were NO PROBLEMS.

If there was a lens attached, check that carefully, and check the mount area on both the lens and the camera. Those areas are a bit more vulnerable to damage simply because the lens sticks out and acts as a lever.

Look for misalignments -- things that might have gotten whacked out of adjustment. Does everything still look OK through in the viewfinder with the mirror down? Are focusing and metering still accurate (er, as accurate as before)?

But as I said above, it's entirely possible that everything is fine. Check it out, and if it seems to work, consider yourself fortunate this time!
04-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Banned

depends, so its hard to say. It may look ok from the outside, but there is a lot of very sensitive electronics and mechanics inside. If I were in your shoes I would send it in to Pentax to have it checked out. your warranty may not cover any damage, so you may end up paying out of pocket. but you will at least know its in proper working condition. There is no real ‘good’ answer here, unfortunately. a lesson learned and I hope everything is ok.
04-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
This is actually my first dslr camera, so I have no idea how I would check for misalignments, or any of the more technical things you described, haha..

& yes, my lens was attached when the camera fell. ):

04-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ambrosial Quote
my precious camera fell off the table and I heard a loud thump.

Ouch. Very sorry to hear it. Do you have a trusted camera shop near you? If so, I'd think they'd be happy to do a quick check for you - as a favor or for a small fee.

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Are focusing and metering still accurate (er, as accurate as before)?
Forgive me for digressing, but Quicksand gave me a good laugh. Maybe a few knocks would help my K10D's focusing and metering? They couldn't get much worse...
04-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the dope slap club. I'm a member and paid some serious dues (to Pentax repair.) Feeling stupid is par for the course and, of course, deserved. Yes, it's possible that your camera suffered no functional harm but you have to count yourself as very lucky if that's the case. Do a lot of shooting in the next week and try to use as many functions as possible but, if nothing untoward shows up, I say go on about your merry way.
04-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Sorry about the dropped equipment, it happens all to often. Its good that you got it out of the way.

I try to never leave my camera or lens lying around the house. If i do its for a very short time and never close to the edge of anything. my preferred location is in the padded camera bag and lying already on the floor - so it can't drop down - its already there.

I have set my camera bag on a seat in a car, and you know what happened then, i stopped the car suddenly and bag rolled off the seat and onto the floor. Nothing much happened to the equipment. but now i leave camera bags on the floor at home and in a car.

my closest accidents are unzipped camera bags. I sometimes will forget i had unzipped it the previous day, attempt to pick up the bag by the strap, and look down to see lenses roll out of the bag.

I do have an old dresser where i leave equipment thats not in the bag, but leaving camera stuff lying around the house - never a good thing i think.

(We have cats and they love to push things off edges)
04-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If it works properly I probably wouldn't send it in. Take some pictures. Do they look good? etc.

04-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Okay, I know the title sounds terrible.. and stupid. ):

Here's what happened:
So I just received my Pentax k-x camera today. My friend was looking at it and left it on the edge of the table. It wasn't long before my precious camera fell off the table and I heard a loud thump. I quickly put in the batteries and sd card and turned on the camera to check if it was okay.

It turned on fine, and everything seems normal.. I was just wondering if it's possible that my camera survived a fall from a kitchen table without any major damage? I see a very small scratch on the bottom of the camera but that is it (for now.)

What kind of damage would slr cameras usually have when dropped?
This really help save the day "I quickly put in the batteries and sd card and turned on the camera to check if it was okay". That took away a lot of the impact not having the battery in your new K-x yet. I would not worry (easy for me to say ) enjoy your K-x if some questions arise ask and post some examples.
04-07-2011, 05:13 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Look at it this way;

1. You bought a heck of a nice camera that is durable enough to survive a moderate fall...

2. It's pre-disastered. You've had your big accident, on the first day no less. Remember Garp, the airplane and the house?

If this would have happened to one of my older film cameras it would have broken.

That's one of the reasons they make cameras and lenses out of plastic these days. They won't dent, they absorb heat better and expansion/contraction is better controlled.

I agree about the unzipped bag issue. I slung mine over my shoulder once and everything seemed to go into slow motion as I saw the flap fly open due to centrifugal force. Fortunately nothing fell out. Now I'm obsessive about the zippers.

Don't worry, Pentax makes good gear. If it works, you're good. Go through all the functions to be sure, especially the mechanical ones, like screw drive, auto-flash pop-up, SR, etc.

Bill
04-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Just enjoy your camera, it works so you'r lucky for the time being.
04-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
This really help save the day "I quickly put in the batteries and sd card and turned on the camera to check if it was okay". That took away a lot of the impact not having the battery in your new K-x yet. I would not worry (easy for me to say ) enjoy your K-x if some questions arise ask and post some examples.
Thank you! If you don't mind me asking.. How did not having the batteries in help? Just out of curiosity & for my own knowledge! (:

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Sorry about the dropped equipment, it happens all to often. Its good that you got it out of the way.

I try to never leave my camera or lens lying around the house. If i do its for a very short time and never close to the edge of anything. my preferred location is in the padded camera bag and lying already on the floor - so it can't drop down - its already there.
Thank you for the advice!

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
Don't worry, Pentax makes good gear. If it works, you're good. Go through all the functions to be sure, especially the mechanical ones, like screw drive, auto-flash pop-up, SR, etc.

Bill
You think so? It didn't just fall, it kinda like bounced.. lol =__=.
The auto-flash pop-up works! It opened up and flashed my little brother in the eye. Hahah. :X Not sure about the other functions yet though..

QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
Ouch. Very sorry to hear it. Do you have a trusted camera shop near you? If so, I'd think they'd be happy to do a quick check for you - as a favor or for a small fee.
Okay, that's a good idea! Maybe I'll ask my photography teacher.. He should know enough to check for me right? I think he has a Masters degree..?
04-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Maybe I'll ask my photography teacher..
Yes, teachers are wise (usually). It might help if you had your k-x user manual along, too.

Are you new to photography? A class is an excellent idea - whether you're a beginner or not. And if you don't already have a fast (approx. f/2.0 or faster) prime lens, I highly recommend you get one. The shallow depth of field fast lenses can give opens up a whole different world of picture taking. Good luck!
04-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

I have set my camera bag on a seat in a car, and you know what happened then, i stopped the car suddenly and bag rolled off the seat and onto the floor. Nothing much happened to the equipment. but now i leave camera bags on the floor at home and in a car.

Great advice. The floor in the house may not be safe from our wayward dog but the floor of the car is excellent.

@Ambrosial Let's hope you got lucky. I have a hunch you did.
04-07-2011, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you! If you don't mind me asking.. How did not having the batteries in help? Just out of curiosity & for my own knowledge! (:
I suspect that's on the theory that since F=MA and batteries are a lot of M, you get less F.

Mostly the danger in impact damage is about something optical getting knocked out alignment. If the electronics physically-broke, that's be apparent rather quickly.

Your camera ought to be able to autofocus, and you ought to be able to manually focus accurately. And you shouldn't hear any crunching or rattling sounds in operation or gentle handling.

Cameras of any kind are precision optical instruments, and not intended to be left to drop off the edge of tables, to drive tentpegs, nor of course to fold, spindle, or mutilate, or use as any kind of defensive weapon (*whistling innocently*) but what *actually* might knock one out of whack is just less predictable than you'd think. They aren't made to be abused, but they aren't made of eggshells, either.

Thanks to physics, a light camera can survive falls unscathed, where a heavy one would smash itself. Whereas the same light camera wouldn't survive cold-cocking someone or similar travails. If your little one works, then it works.