Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 16
Dropped slr ):

Okay, I know the title sounds terrible.. and stupid. ):

Here's what happened:
So I just received my Pentax k-x camera today. My friend was looking at it and left it on the edge of the table. It wasn't long before my precious camera fell off the table and I heard a loud thump. I quickly put in the batteries and sd card and turned on the camera to check if it was okay.

It turned on fine, and everything seems normal.. I was just wondering if it's possible that my camera survived a fall from a kitchen table without any major damage? I see a very small scratch on the bottom of the camera but that is it (for now.)

What kind of damage would slr cameras usually have when dropped?

04-06-2011, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio (formerly SF Bay Area)
Posts: 1,491
If it works, it works!

A couple of years ago I dropped my K20D onto concrete from about waist-high. (My homemade sling strap fell apart, oops!)

It got a bit dinged up -- a small crack in the plastic bottom plate and a tiny chip where the rubber grip meets the plastic body. Other than that, there were NO PROBLEMS.

If there was a lens attached, check that carefully, and check the mount area on both the lens and the camera. Those areas are a bit more vulnerable to damage simply because the lens sticks out and acts as a lever.

Look for misalignments -- things that might have gotten whacked out of adjustment. Does everything still look OK through in the viewfinder with the mirror down? Are focusing and metering still accurate (er, as accurate as before)?

But as I said above, it's entirely possible that everything is fine. Check it out, and if it seems to work, consider yourself fortunate this time!
04-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
depends, so its hard to say. It may look ok from the outside, but there is a lot of very sensitive electronics and mechanics inside. If I were in your shoes I would send it in to Pentax to have it checked out. your warranty may not cover any damage, so you may end up paying out of pocket. but you will at least know its in proper working condition. There is no real ‘good’ answer here, unfortunately. a lesson learned and I hope everything is ok.
04-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 16
Original Poster
This is actually my first dslr camera, so I have no idea how I would check for misalignments, or any of the more technical things you described, haha..

& yes, my lens was attached when the camera fell. ):

04-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: westerly
Posts: 794
QuoteOriginally posted by Ambrosial Quote
my precious camera fell off the table and I heard a loud thump.

Ouch. Very sorry to hear it. Do you have a trusted camera shop near you? If so, I'd think they'd be happy to do a quick check for you - as a favor or for a small fee.


QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Are focusing and metering still accurate (er, as accurate as before)?
Forgive me for digressing, but Quicksand gave me a good laugh. Maybe a few knocks would help my K10D's focusing and metering? They couldn't get much worse...
04-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,409
Welcome to the dope slap club. I'm a member and paid some serious dues (to Pentax repair.) Feeling stupid is par for the course and, of course, deserved. Yes, it's possible that your camera suffered no functional harm but you have to count yourself as very lucky if that's the case. Do a lot of shooting in the next week and try to use as many functions as possible but, if nothing untoward shows up, I say go on about your merry way.
04-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
Sorry about the dropped equipment, it happens all to often. Its good that you got it out of the way.

I try to never leave my camera or lens lying around the house. If i do its for a very short time and never close to the edge of anything. my preferred location is in the padded camera bag and lying already on the floor - so it can't drop down - its already there.

I have set my camera bag on a seat in a car, and you know what happened then, i stopped the car suddenly and bag rolled off the seat and onto the floor. Nothing much happened to the equipment. but now i leave camera bags on the floor at home and in a car.

my closest accidents are unzipped camera bags. I sometimes will forget i had unzipped it the previous day, attempt to pick up the bag by the strap, and look down to see lenses roll out of the bag.

I do have an old dresser where i leave equipment thats not in the bag, but leaving camera stuff lying around the house - never a good thing i think.

(We have cats and they love to push things off edges)
04-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member
sewebster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 533
If it works properly I probably wouldn't send it in. Take some pictures. Do they look good? etc.

04-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit MI, USA
Posts: 503
QuoteOriginally posted by Ambrosial Quote
Okay, I know the title sounds terrible.. and stupid. ):

Here's what happened:
So I just received my Pentax k-x camera today. My friend was looking at it and left it on the edge of the table. It wasn't long before my precious camera fell off the table and I heard a loud thump. I quickly put in the batteries and sd card and turned on the camera to check if it was okay.

It turned on fine, and everything seems normal.. I was just wondering if it's possible that my camera survived a fall from a kitchen table without any major damage? I see a very small scratch on the bottom of the camera but that is it (for now.)

What kind of damage would slr cameras usually have when dropped?
This really help save the day "I quickly put in the batteries and sd card and turned on the camera to check if it was okay". That took away a lot of the impact not having the battery in your new K-x yet. I would not worry (easy for me to say ) enjoy your K-x if some questions arise ask and post some examples.
04-07-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Albums
Posts: 235
Look at it this way;

1. You bought a heck of a nice camera that is durable enough to survive a moderate fall...

2. It's pre-disastered. You've had your big accident, on the first day no less. Remember Garp, the airplane and the house?

If this would have happened to one of my older film cameras it would have broken.

That's one of the reasons they make cameras and lenses out of plastic these days. They won't dent, they absorb heat better and expansion/contraction is better controlled.

I agree about the unzipped bag issue. I slung mine over my shoulder once and everything seemed to go into slow motion as I saw the flap fly open due to centrifugal force. Fortunately nothing fell out. Now I'm obsessive about the zippers.

Don't worry, Pentax makes good gear. If it works, you're good. Go through all the functions to be sure, especially the mechanical ones, like screw drive, auto-flash pop-up, SR, etc.

Bill
04-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Just enjoy your camera, it works so you'r lucky for the time being.
04-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 16
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
This really help save the day "I quickly put in the batteries and sd card and turned on the camera to check if it was okay". That took away a lot of the impact not having the battery in your new K-x yet. I would not worry (easy for me to say ) enjoy your K-x if some questions arise ask and post some examples.
Thank you! If you don't mind me asking.. How did not having the batteries in help? Just out of curiosity & for my own knowledge! (:

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Sorry about the dropped equipment, it happens all to often. Its good that you got it out of the way.

I try to never leave my camera or lens lying around the house. If i do its for a very short time and never close to the edge of anything. my preferred location is in the padded camera bag and lying already on the floor - so it can't drop down - its already there.
Thank you for the advice!

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
Don't worry, Pentax makes good gear. If it works, you're good. Go through all the functions to be sure, especially the mechanical ones, like screw drive, auto-flash pop-up, SR, etc.

Bill
You think so? It didn't just fall, it kinda like bounced.. lol =__=.
The auto-flash pop-up works! It opened up and flashed my little brother in the eye. Hahah. :X Not sure about the other functions yet though..


QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
Ouch. Very sorry to hear it. Do you have a trusted camera shop near you? If so, I'd think they'd be happy to do a quick check for you - as a favor or for a small fee.
Okay, that's a good idea! Maybe I'll ask my photography teacher.. He should know enough to check for me right? I think he has a Masters degree..?
04-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: westerly
Posts: 794
QuoteOriginally posted by Ambrosial Quote
Maybe I'll ask my photography teacher..
Yes, teachers are wise (usually). It might help if you had your k-x user manual along, too.

Are you new to photography? A class is an excellent idea - whether you're a beginner or not. And if you don't already have a fast (approx. f/2.0 or faster) prime lens, I highly recommend you get one. The shallow depth of field fast lenses can give opens up a whole different world of picture taking. Good luck!
04-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Kentucky
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,415
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

I have set my camera bag on a seat in a car, and you know what happened then, i stopped the car suddenly and bag rolled off the seat and onto the floor. Nothing much happened to the equipment. but now i leave camera bags on the floor at home and in a car.

Great advice. The floor in the house may not be safe from our wayward dog but the floor of the car is excellent.

@Ambrosial Let's hope you got lucky. I have a hunch you did.
04-07-2011, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,476
QuoteOriginally posted by Ambrosial Quote
Thank you! If you don't mind me asking.. How did not having the batteries in help? Just out of curiosity & for my own knowledge! (:
I suspect that's on the theory that since F=MA and batteries are a lot of M, you get less F.

Mostly the danger in impact damage is about something optical getting knocked out alignment. If the electronics physically-broke, that's be apparent rather quickly.

Your camera ought to be able to autofocus, and you ought to be able to manually focus accurately. And you shouldn't hear any crunching or rattling sounds in operation or gentle handling.

Cameras of any kind are precision optical instruments, and not intended to be left to drop off the edge of tables, to drive tentpegs, nor of course to fold, spindle, or mutilate, or use as any kind of defensive weapon (*whistling innocently*) but what *actually* might knock one out of whack is just less predictable than you'd think. They aren't made to be abused, but they aren't made of eggshells, either.

Thanks to physics, a light camera can survive falls unscathed, where a heavy one would smash itself. Whereas the same light camera wouldn't survive cold-cocking someone or similar travails. If your little one works, then it works.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, damage, dslr, photography, slr, table
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A film SLR feels better than a digital SLR ? spystyle Pentax Film SLR Discussion 114 11-08-2014 01:54 PM
Old Film SLR to Digital SLR PentaxDilemma Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 03-11-2011 06:25 PM
She dropped it!! Gringo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 26 02-10-2010 05:14 PM
Dropped DA* 16-55 rickconklin Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 08-09-2009 10:26 PM
Just dropped in to say Hi! Shantz Welcomes and Introductions 4 07-29-2009 10:43 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top