Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Everything I shoot is "Reversal Film"

What does "Reversal Film" mean?

I shoot in RAW. I move curves in iPhoto and end up very much like "Reversal Film" as the end result. (migrated to k7 from k10d. K10d had no presets)

When it was the k10d, that's all I looked for in post: Move the histogram dark to the start of the graph, sometimes move the light to the end of the histogram, always move the middle slider to the right some. Mess with exposure if needed.

With a few months and the K7, seems like reversal film is the end result I'm always trying to achieve (chimp alot) through post p w/ the K10d.

iPhoto will retain the Reversal Film settings on raw until you click it, then it's a quick edit with curves to get back there where I want.

So I guess what I'm asking is why is it called "reversal film" on that preset? And what's the preset that you guys use?

04-07-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reversal film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In photography, a reversal film is a type of photographic film that produces a positive image on a transparent base. The film is processed to produce transparencies or diapositives instead of negatives and prints. Reversal film is produced in various sizes, from 35mm roll film to 8x10" sheet film.

i.e. Slide film.

What does "chimp a lot", mean?
04-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by John Araki Quote
So I guess what I'm asking is why is it called "reversal film" on that preset? And what's the preset that you guys use?
When shooting slide film, it's common practice to underexpose slightly to avoid blown highlights and also increase color saturation, my guess is that's what the "reversal" preset does also.
04-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When you get a film camera with an old lens you'll want to buy Slides then.

and yep under exposing is common on slides, Though i typically meter Velvia for 40 iso rather than 50.

I have the camera typically set to natural and then PP based on the shot. when i use DXO i have a number of good film presets, in LR i start with one of the presets and fine tune usually (the positive setting sometimes, but i do a lot with b/w in mind)

04-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #5

Chimping

QuoteQuote:
What does "chimp a lot", mean?
As explained by Zack Arias (and I am paraphrasing); Chimping means looking at the back of your camera. He used an example of sports photographers sitting in pack on the sidelines and looking a the back screen after every shot and and going 'ooo ooo' (sounding like chimpanzees).
04-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by theprisoner6 Quote
As explained by Zack Arias (and I am paraphrasing); Chimping means looking at the back of your camera. He used an example of sports photographers sitting in pack on the sidelines and looking a the back screen after every shot and and going 'ooo ooo' (sounding like chimpanzees).
So funny, I do see them do that when I shoot sports I do check some things when I start but then just go with it and don't chimp to much.

I love that setting, it's in the K-5 aswell.

04-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah, thanks. Slide film.

C'mon, you guys don't chimp? I don't see how one can avoid it....that's a pretty big screen on the back of the camera with its 910,000 pixels or whatever it is.
04-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
So funny, I do see them do that when I shoot sports I do check some things when I start but then just go with it and don't chimp to much.
Well, machine-gunners put 30 frames on the card in 3 seconds. No doubt 28 are useless wastes of space.

04-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Well, machine-gunners put 30 frames on the card in 3 seconds. No doubt 28 are useless wastes of space.
Well K-5 only gets 7 fps and then has loads of time to process, so all those other guys are oooooooo.....oooooo chimping and I'm just waiting I really wanna chimp too, you know
04-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax users don't chimp.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well K-5 only gets 7 fps and then has loads of time to process, so all those other guys are oooooooo.....oooooo chimping and I'm just waiting I really wanna chimp too, you know
When Pentax users perform a function similar to what is called 'chimping' they are actually 'analyzing the light & dark tones as well as the colour, scenic & compositional quality of their digitally created images to make certain they are getting the best possible image out of the best quality cameras in the industry using their superior skills. They then quietly move on to the next image to take.'

Let the flames begin!!

Michael
(who doesn't trust his photography skills enough yet to not need to look at the image he has taken)
04-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not to take anything away from chimps, but back to the topic, what setting are you guys "viewing" or using?
04-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #12

Newbie here. Trid this mode today and may never change it. Also gave a Tamron 18-200 a workout at a street faire and all I can say is that I must have got a good one. See minimal CA or vignetting at 18 or 200mm and for the money, this is as sharp as I need to be.
Check it out and let me know what you think.
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/Vf2ps5Ac

Cheers,
jb
04-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
... why chimp at all? i much prefer sauntering up the street with my extended tripod on one shoulder, camera mounted on it, the Parodi Ammezzati between my teeth sticking out the corner of my mouth, eye open, thinking slow and wasting as little energy as i can standing up the camera and grabbing my shot, then moving on. Just not a sports fanatic: Give me the enveloping night.
04-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sounds like a film photographer! Absolutely no need for digital. Perfect
04-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my short time with the K-5 so far, I enjoy the "reversal mode" too... I use it combined with a custom change to my AWB setting. I shoot raw mostly, but like the idea that for snapshot settings I can use this mode and be quite happy without any post-processing.

Yeah, I know it's a cat... sorry! LOL