Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is it OK to store a camera vertically?

I have a KX, and if the 55-300 lens is on, it takes up too much space in my case. If I set it on its back with the lens pointing up, it fits great and leaves room for extra lenses and flash. Would there be any issues storing it this way?

I am trying to avoid having to remove the 55-300 and put a smaller lens on every time I use it.

04-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There shouldn't be any problem. At all.

Whne not in use I always put my camera on its back with the lens pointing up. Primarily cause it's more stable - I have the camera grip and the lenses are usually heavy enough so the camera falls forward. Plus, I have the BlackRapid FastenR nut on the bottom so I'm forced to leave it on its back.
04-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK thanks. ^^
04-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This question was asked a couple weeks ago. I gave a clever answer about electrons and photons draining out. Do not worry. Storage orientation does not matter. And for every photon that escapes, more will take its place. Y'know, since photons exist at the speed of light, they have no sense of time. From generation, to the heat death of the universe, it's all one moment. A photon ALWAYS lives for the moment. It's so Zen...

04-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, you do not need to worry about the photons on a stored image. It is the electrons that you need to worry about. Thankfully, like photons, electrons have no real weight and they should not flow to the edge of the memory card.

But seriously, I have stored my cameras in many different directions, mostly lens to the side (resting on a cut out lens cushion) or straight down on the lens. It makes the camera easier to grab. No worries with either my digital or 35mm.
04-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A photon ALWAYS lives for the moment
Billions of photons die each time you take a photo, or even look at something. Sobering thought. Thats why Pentax has slow fps, they are a founding member of the Save the photons society.
04-08-2011, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I've also warned against frequenting Photon Depletion Zones, such as the Kodak-moment viewpoints near the Golden Gate Bridge, Eiffel Tower, Sydney Opera House, and the vicinity of any paparazzi subjects. Serious photon depletion and imbalance can have dire consequences on the photographer, who will only see what the missing photons have left, not what is actually there. If anything. Yes, whenever you see scads of cameras busily depleting photons from the environment, you should move quickly in the opposite direction. With camera lens pointed down, so excess photons may escape. SAVE THE PHOTONS!

Last edited by RioRico; 04-08-2011 at 04:14 PM.
04-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the up side, maybe all this photon depletion will help global warming!!!

Go to the tropics and shoot A LOT!!