Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #16

Check out this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/118608-k-5-vs-k-7-noise-comparison-2.html

Doesn't apply to your situation(nighttime), but I agree with the comments about ISO 100 in this thread. Especially the one about the older camera "sacrificed nothing for high ISO performance". I think the PentaxK7 is a hidden gem of a camera. For me, the ISO 100 crop (in the above thread) from this older camera looks sharper.

Last edited by pz1fan; 04-09-2011 at 09:03 AM.
04-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
Inactive Account

+1 for faster lenses, I initially got a K7 and its been fantastic for 99% of my shooting, yet to get a 1.4 lens which would really be icing on the cake.

I ended up getting a Kx for the wifey as she was using 'my' camera too much .
Its great now as we can go out shooting with two bodies, small slower lenses go on the Kx while the larger faster lenses go on the K7 with its sturdier grip.
You get a handy backup and can use the kx for those super lowlight shots (I used it to shoot some flying bats at night which I can't think of a harder situation for any camera!)

So for the cost of a K5 you can get 2x bodies which is a must if you are doing paid work anyhow with the strengths of one body covering the weaknesses of the other.
04-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone.

My first major trip with the K7 was to Dubai. I was trying to shoot nighttime photos in a desert camp, but became discouraged because of the noise and the terrible tone of colors. For example, it turned out like this

When I wanted this

(Source)

So naturally I drooled at the K5 when I heard about the high ISO performance. But now I'm doubting myself, because as you already know, I just started learning photography, not very familiar with the K7 yet (tried learning with 2 manuals though), so I feel that my inexperience has done the K7 injustice. I keep on telling myself that I should turn to the photographer for the problem instead of blaming the camera. But then again, there are tons of threads on this forum that gush over the magic K5 can do... ahhh
This might reflect badly on me - but I'm not really interested in working too much with the technology of the camera (beyond fundamentals), to me it's just a tool, like an instrument that I can play beautiful music with, so the better the quality, the easier it is to use, the better. Is that sound logic or just plain laziness?

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
The K7 is a capable camera and if you tweak it like Adam had done, your High ISO photos come out great.
Would you pls link me to what Adam's done?

I'm still considering all the split opinions in the thread! should make a decision in about a week or so.
04-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #19
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ardentartichoke Quote
Would you pls link me to what Adam's done?
Adam's thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-iso-success.html

There have been many useful discussions and threads on the topic K-7 and high-ISO. In summary, the three better options are:
1- use High-ISO correction as suggested by Adam (see above link);
2- do the noise reduction during PP on computer; I got excellent results with Noiseware, but other NR softwares give good results similarly; and
3- use a fast lens.

Personally, I use the options 2, 3 and 1, from most used to less used techniques. All give some great results. In very dark conditions, I got my best results with a MF fast prime (f1.4).

Hope that the info will help.

04-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks hcc. So with Adam's settings and my FAs, seems like I have nothing to fear with the K7. Why would people still switch to the K5?
04-10-2011, 03:40 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I started shooting SLR with the K5 and my photos are LEAGUES better than when I started.
One thing I realised is the amount of detail that can be recovered by under exposing and bringing back later.
What looks crap in the LCD review is not necessarily the truth!
Of course if someone gave me a K5 I would hardly say no, but not while nice lenses are out there to buy!
04-10-2011, 04:28 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks hcc. So with Adam's settings and my FAs, seems like I have nothing to fear with the K7. Why would people still switch to the K5?
Because they have the money.

Also, the K5 is probably a stop better on high iso shooting and has significantly better dynamic range. The dynamic range is the biggest reason why I would like to upgrade someday from the K7 to K5. With Topaz or noiseware, you can take care of noise very effectively, but you can't replace lost dynamic range.

04-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Because the "High ISO" Adam tested and showed was ISO800. These days ISO800 is almost considered a low ISO (eg on a K-5 ISO800 is very clean), 800+ to <3200 medium, and only 3200+ to be high ISO.

Personally I would have upgraded to a K-7 long ago if it hadn't been for the high ISO issue. However I use the K-x enough at over ISO800 to make me wait till I can afford the K-5.
04-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
K7 is still a great camera

QuoteOriginally posted by Larryc Quote
If it's any consolation, I've just bought a new K7 as I am just getting back into SLR use and this appears to be a good camera to get me back up to speed. It has had rave reviews in the past and except for a few modifications the K5 is too expensive for me at the moment. I plan to hang onto my K7 for a few years yet. It's a bit like buying a car, there's always going to be something better as soon as you drive out of the showroom, that's life, just enjoy what you have.

I'm exactly in the same boat. Just recently picked up a K7 as my first real DSLR. Was seriously considering a K5, but it was just way too much $$; I didn't want to get stuck with the kit lens for a long long time.

Instead i opted for the K7 kit and picked up the DA 35mm macro limited and DA 70mm limited. As mentioned in previous posts, great glass will last and that's how i approached this purchase. Eventually i'll upgrade the body. Maybe a K5 or the rumored APS-C mirrorless.

The K7 had rave reviews and was considered, at the time of release, at the top of it's class. It being discontinued doesn't change how great of a camera it is.

But if you need the K5 low light capabilities to pay the bills then that's a good reason to sell the K7 now and get as much for it as possible. But not a good reason to sell it just because it was discontinued.
04-11-2011, 04:53 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
to me it's just a tool, like an instrument that I can play beautiful music with, so the better the quality, the easier it is to use, the better. Is that sound logic or just plain laziness?
You will still have to learn how to use the instrument...learn and know it thouroughly...but wanting some great quality out of the box and with less hassle is not plain laziness. If you get yourself a K5 you will still have to read the manual, fiddle with it and get to know how it works but since the features are better you will have better photos with the same amount of effort (anyone can produce great photos, even with really "old" cameras but the effort or conditions needed won't be the same).
If you can afford it and in light of the trip i would say jump on one of those flamboyant k5 and sell your k7 to fund it...if your budget is somewhat tight, keep your k7, read and know it's workings and innards...you will get great photos, it's a very capable machine.
04-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently switched from K7 to K5, just waited until the stain problem got solved.
I needed the K5 high ISO performance since one of my favorite subjects is shooting sports. Especially when I shoot indoor sports I want to use the highest ISO possible to get fast shutter speeds. Last weekend I shot a swim event and used ISO 4000-10000 to get the shots. That kind of ISO is just not usable on a K7 so I could not have done it with a K7.
You can find some shots here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/140056-sports-swimcup-eindhoven-2011-a.html
04-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #27
Banned

Thanks for the input everyone.

My first major trip with the K7 was to Dubai. I was trying to shoot nighttime photos in a desert camp, but became discouraged because of the noise and the terrible tone of colors. For example, it turned out like this

When I wanted this
Well part of this problem is white balans. Just today I recived an ExpoDisc for setting white balans manual at more difficult situations. Also K-5 tends to be a bit to much orange in dim light situations.
04-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #28
Forum Member

I just upgraded from the K-7 to K-5 after long deliberations. I will say the ability to shoot at high ISO opens new worlds and so I love it. You could very well appreciate the flexibility the K-5 provides even if you are still beginning....but do remember the camera alone is not going to give you fantastic shots....but if you really have the $ I think it could be a good choice to do it now as the resale value of the K-7 will keep going down obviously. For me, I decided the sensor advances on the K-5 combined with what was already a wonderful camera in the K-7 meant it would be a camera I would be able to commit to for quite awhile. I even bought the extended warranty this time. All that said, I didn't read every post here so I don't know what lenses you have....you need a few of those before considering the K-5.
04-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #29

Do not sell it..........I just bought one yesterday at clearance price from an online store. Thats one day after I got my K5 as a present from my lovely wife..!!!! K7 is a great camera for everyday shooting. I shot a bunch of pics with it and the K5, honestly I do not see a vast improvement except at high ISOs.. The Samsung CMOS sensor in K7 is a very capable one. I'm gonna use it more than the K5 as I find it more or less adequate for most of my photographic needs.