Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #1

Should I sell the K7?

- and go for the K5?

I heard they've discontinued the K7.

I've only had the camera for about 5 months. I'm a beginning who's improving faster than I thought I could, so I'm thinking about moving to a set of equipments with better quality. I want to eventually move on to a K5 due to the K7's mediocre performance at high ISO (I like to walk around and do streetshots at night without tripods). My original thought was to keep the K7, become familiar with it, then move on to a K5.

But they've discontinued my K7! How do you think the prices will change for the K7 & the K5? Would it be better for me to sell the K7 & buy the K5 now than later? I don't really see the advantage of keeping a discontinued camera unless I really love it... On this forum I see a lot of people owning more than 1 DSLR - is there any good reason that I'm missing?

Don't know if this will make a difference: I'm hoping to use photography to fulfill some business purposes, very excited to learn to improve

Last edited by ardentartichoke; 04-11-2011 at 12:50 PM.
04-08-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ardentartichoke Quote
I'm a beginning who's improving faster than I thought I could, so I'm thinking about moving to a set of equipments with better quality.
If you are learning, I think you should stick with the K-7. It will make you think more about how you take your shots more as the K-5 will serve it on a platter. (k-7 already provides silver service) And if you take a look around the galleries you'll notice that the k10d's the k200d's etc all still produce some incredible images.

Maybe look at getting some faster glass. lenses last the bodies change.

But they've discontinued my K7! How do you think the prices will change for the K7 & the K5? Would it be better for me to sell the K7 & buy the K5 now than later? I don't really see the advantage of keeping a discontinued camera unless I really love it... On this forum I see a lot of people owning more than 1 DSLR - is there any good reason that I'm missing?
Lots of people do use two cameras eg k-7 and kr/kx with the latter for lowlight shots at higher ISO as they perform very well in that area, but use the K-7 for the rest. Or they have the K-7 with a one lens, and the second camera with another lense so they don't spend time chaning lens.

And finally just because a camera has been discontinued DOESN'T mean its time to sell.

This is my opionion. I have thought about the K-5 upgrade and these are the reasons I gave myself.

I hope this helps to give a perspective against. As I am sure there are plently of arguments in favour of the K-5
04-08-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't really see the advantage of keeping a discontinued camera unless I really love it... On this forum I see a lot of people owning more than 1 DSLR - is there any good reason that I'm missing?
If you sell it now it will retain a fair amount of value (since it has ,probably, a small number of shutter actuations and it's in a good condition) but you WILL lose money... If you like it the fact that it is discontinued does not matter. The thing with the bodies is that a new one comes every 18 months or so, and they devaluate steadily, there is no need to upgrade each time a new thing pops up.
The Iso argument is a valid one but is it enough to sell your camera (look at the prices in the marketplace...around 700 for a good condition k7) buy a k5 and lose money in the process?
If it is and you got the dough then go for it, i'm sure someone will apreciate getting a good condition k7 for a fair price.

Oh,and about the two bodies: some people work with the cameras so they need a backup in case of failure, or they use it, as said before, as a two camera setup so they won't have to change lenses so many times.
Some enthusiats also have a backup body, some by keeping their old body after an upgrade, some buying an entry level camera to test it or profit it's capabilities (Kx case sometimes).

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Maybe look at getting some faster glass. lenses last the bodies change.
+1...

I'm hoping to use photography to fulfill some business purposes
well it seems you are serious about it then, so maybe it isn't a bad idea to get yourself a k5
But i would go for the glass...and if night fotography is just a smal part of your interests maybe get a used or new Kx for those occasions (there you go..you would have a backup body very capable and save the rest of the money for an FA 77 f1.8 or 43 f1.9 or any other legendary prime to pair it with your k7.)
04-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess the question in my mind is what these "business purposes" are that you want to use a camera for. The K7 would work admirably as a back up to the K5, better than the K20 or K10, because the body style changed minimally between them.

A lot of times for photo shoots, or for weddings, it is awfully nice to have two camera bodies. One will have a telephoto lens on it, the other something wide, or perhaps one will have a zoom and the other a prime. I know you can shoot weddings with one camera body, but two camera bodies just makes it so much easier.

The above idea of getting a kx to supplement the K7's weakness is really reasonable if the K5 seems too pricey right now.

04-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Inactive Account

If it's any consolation, I've just bought a new K7 as I am just getting back into SLR use and this appears to be a good camera to get me back up to speed. It has had rave reviews in the past and except for a few modifications the K5 is too expensive for me at the moment. I plan to hang onto my K7 for a few years yet. It's a bit like buying a car, there's always going to be something better as soon as you drive out of the showroom, that's life, just enjoy what you have.
04-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think that depends on what 2 bodies you are talking about. If I could I would own the K20 or K7 and keep my Kx because they both have their strengths and weaknesses but if I could own one K5 then I would sell anything I own because I feel the K5 is pretty much a great all around camera and I would not need the strengths of another camera.

In your case I would definitely sell the K7 and get the K5. The K5 is pretty much better than the K7 in most every way.
04-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There certainly isn't anything wrong with the K7 now that it is discontinued - every old model is at some point. At this point you'd likely get anywhere between $600 and $750 for the used camera (if its pretty new, on the higher end of that scale), and depending on where you're willing to ship it (i.e. Worldwide vs US only if you're in the US of course).

Most people who have multiple bodies keep them for various reasons (either they don't think they'll get enough value back, need one or more backups, or have other more specific reasons). I keep the k200d for a sealed backup, the DS is for infrared (the 6mp sensor has a weak AA filter, letting you take handheld IR photos with a filter attached), and the Kx for my wife (at least that is what I tell myself!). The K5 is a significant step up from the K7 in terms of IQ, and is also a natural step since it shares much with the K7 in terms of ergonomics.

If you look at used prices of older cameras, they still retain a sort of hierarchy. (depending on condition and included items...) The older *IST models under $200, K100 series $200-250, K200 $250-350, K10 $300-400, K20 $400-550 and the K7 will likely slot itself somewhere between $500 and $650 over the next year or so. The K5 will sit above that - it has a higher MSRP and will settle at a higher used price when it is discontinued.

If you think you'll want to use both the K7 and K5, go ahead and keep it, otherwise you're still getting a good value on the used market. Alternatively, just keep the k7 for now and wait for used K5s or more of a price drop - both will happen, it just takes time!

04-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My bottom line:
keep the K7 till you feel that the limitations start limiting you. After that it's up to you.

To the other posters:
ardentartichoke just bought the FA Ltd threesome, so advise on better glass is not quite useful

I don't really see the advantage of keeping a discontinued camera unless I really love it... On this forum I see a lot of people owning more than 1 DSLR - is there any good reason that I'm missing?
Good luck, because next year (or in two years time) the K5 will be discontinued, the year after its successor etc. etc.

PS My old film camera (Minolta X700) was discontinued when the first AF cameras came out (somewhere in the 80s if I remember correctly). Served me well for 20-odd years till I switched to a dSLR about 2 years ago.
04-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
just bought the FA Ltd threesome
Put that way and shot at point blank caught me unadvised and now i'm dreamy about lenses (hope my GF will not notice or i'll be into one of those endless arguments)

Ardentartichoke you are a priviledged guy just attach those to the camera and shoot like a madman. (if you see the need of better lowlight performance go get yourself a K5 but do it because of that not because of the k7 being discontinued).
04-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I forgot to mention - I recently just got the FA Ltds. A characteristic of mine - OCD about IQ.

Why I asked the question to begin with - I'm going on a long-term trip to Asia this summer and I look forward to taking a lot of photos for my blog, my online handicrafts & arts shop, and publications for an online magazine.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
If you are learning, I think you should stick with the K-7. It will make you think more about how you take your shots more as the K-5 will serve it on a platter.
I agree. I do appreciate the fact that K7 will make me try harder to improve. But I'm worried that without the K5, my photography skills will cause me to miss some great shots during my trip.. If I wasn't going on the trip I probably wouldn't have considered the K5 as much.

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
If you sell it now it will retain a fair amount of value (since it has ,probably, a small number of shutter actuations and it's in a good condition) but you WILL lose money...
Wouldn't I lose money anyway, regardless of when I sell it?

I guess I could get the K5 (justified because of the trip!), but then I have to sell the K7 because I don't see a point in keeping two cameras when I'm only a beginner. I'm willing to invest in the K5, but I can't convince myself to keep two cameras!

I guess my question is, if I'm going to sell the K7 at some point for an upgrade, shouldn't I sell it now to recover as much $$ as possible? But then again, is the K5 worth it? Because as many of you say, in about a year another better model will probably come out...

Thanks! You guys are so helpful

EDIT: haha sterretje you got me there
Honestly though, I don't want to get into the merry-go-around of buying and selling and forever chasing the next best thing. I guess I'm just overexcited because of my trip...
04-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I got my k5 just a few weeks after it came out (was able to score a rebate card and bought from a smaller retailer for a total under $1,400), before we went to Italy in Dec/Jan for 2 weeks. I probably would have waited but that was our 10th anniversary and by far the biggest trip we've ever taken. I can't state enough how much it was worth having the K5

2nd round of advice. That sounds like a once in a lifetime, if not a major trip. Get the K5 for it, you will not regret the purchase. It was made for night time handheld street photography, which I am guessing you'll see plenty of worth shooting! (of course among other things, haha)

The k5 is probably the biggest step up in terms of image and build quality for Pentax since the K10d (as a total package - K7 is the package, Kx was the IQ step, K5 put it all together...and then some). Based on that, I do believe short of a major ground breaking development in sensor technology, it'll be another 3 years before anything truly comes along to blow the K5 out of the water.

Edit: which LTD primes did you get? On our trip to Italy, I took 80% of my photos with the 15mm - love that lens to death! (lots of examples in my gallery link if you want to look)
04-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

My original thought was to keep the K7, become familiar with it[...].
Keep your K-7 and get some faster lenses. [A fast lens is a large aperture lend: i.e., low f values. As the aperture increases, your can increase the shutter speed for a constant ISO. Or keep the same shutter speed in darker conditons.)

With my FA31mm f1.8 and Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4, I never need to shoot at high ISO even when the light is dark. Issue solved.

A lens is an investment. The value of a good lens will not drop (in fact the lens prices nearly doubled in the last few years!). And the IQ of a lens is closely linked with its price. The better lenses are expensive because they have excellent IQ.

The value of a camera body is the opposite. It looses value very quickly.

In my opinion, your are a beginner and you just bought your camera less than 6months ago. Keep your K-7. Buy some good glasses. [EDIT: your already have the FA Ltd. Well done. You will enjoy these with the K-7.]

Hope that the comment will help....
04-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #13
Banned

If you have the money for the K-5 then I think, just buy it. You can keep the K-7 or if you don't know what to do with two body's just sell it. You will have to write off to that camera, but it is as with everything in life, things just don't live forever and for the lost money you had your learning time.
04-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Having a better camera wont make you a better photographer, there is nothing wrong with the k-7, dont work about gear, working on technique and your own skills is the key to making better photos
04-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K7 is a capable camera and if you tweak it like Adam had done, your High ISO photos come out great.

I have the FA 43 and the FA 77, the K85 F1.8, the A50 F1.4 and love using them on the K7.