Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wireless Channel Change?

How does one change the wireless flash channel on the body (K-7, K-5?) I cannot seem to find any info on this, and the way doesn't seem obvious too me.

04-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You need to change it on the flash (and put it in the hot-shoe, of course). I think you need to half-press the shutter or choose "Wireless" again from the flash menu for the camera to synchronized itself.
04-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Page 190 of your K-5 manual. Don't have a manual? Download the PDF version.
04-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
You need to change it on the flash (and put it in the hot-shoe, of course). I think you need to half-press the shutter or choose "Wireless" again from the flash menu for the camera to synchronized itself.
Cheers.... I will give it a go..
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Page 190 of your K-5 manual. Don't have a manual? Download the PDF version.
As i don't have a K-5, I doubt it's on page 190, and it's certainly not written on page 190 of my K-7 manual.

04-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
As i don't have a K-5, I doubt it's on page 190, and it's certainly not written on page 190 of my K-7 manual.
Read page 176 - 179 the camera sets itself to the match channel selected on the flash as RB said.
05-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

OK, I don't seem to be able to get the flash wireless channel number to appear on my K-5 when I follow the directions on pg 190. The manual says the number will appear in the viewfinder for 10 seconds, but I don't see anything. I can get the flash to work wirelessly (after a lot of trial and error), but can someone tell me where the number appears in the viewfinder?

I have an AF-360 flash. I set the flash to wireless, slave and P-TTL. I have the camera set to mode P and flash set to wireless. I put the flash on the camera, turn the flash on, then the camera, and push the shutter button down halfway, but the only numbers I see are shutter speed, aperture, and iso. I've tried cleaning the contacts, and the 360 flash will fire if I take a picture with the 360 on the hot-shoe, so at least some of the contacts are ok.

Thanks for any help.
05-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hmm.... it actually says the same thing in the K-7 manual, but I've never noticed the channel number displayed in my K-7 when setting the wireless flash channel. (Maybe I've never looked in the viewfinder within 10seconds of fiddling with the channel). (Actually I've never used any other channel apart from "1").

Now I am intrigued to find out and test it tonight. I assume it would be using one of the segment display numbers normally for apeture/speed/iso since there no dedicated "1,2,3,4" in the viewfinder.

If you are finding it a bit hit-and-miss with the wireless flash function make sure the remote slave can "see" the built-in flash as the wireless system is optical.
In normal sized indoor spaces where the control is relflected from ceiling/walls it is resonably reliable but outdoors you should try to have the receiver directly in line of sight with the control flash. This is an advantage of the AF540 as the head can rotate so the sensor can point directly to the camera.
05-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just tried it out on my K20d and Metz 58 AF-2. You can keep the flash on the hotshoe, change the channel on the flash & then select the flash mode using the multi-mode selector to choose flash mode on the camera. When you press 'OK' the channel selected on the flash does appear on the LCD top plate AND in the viewfinder on the right hand side for a few seconds. You do have to be quick to see it & if you press the shutter release even half way, the numbers disappear.
I am presuming the same would be true on the K-5 & K-7.

05-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I tried it out and with a K-7 & AF540.
With the flash attached on wireless Channel 1 and the Camera on wireless Ch2 a half press of the shutter does....... NOTHING. ???

It appears to be when the camera it put into the wireless mode and press OK that the channels are matched.

If you swap the camera to another flash mode and then back to wireless & press OK then the Channel changes to CH1 to match the flash. It is displayed as CH1 in the viewfinder and the top LCD as Michael pointed out. It only displays for a few seconds.

Also, While it is on the display and you cycle through the channels on the flash they are matched on the camera.

If the flash is removed and you change the channel on the flash then obviously it doesnt do anything to the camera.

Now, you dont actually have to mount the flash at all.
Everytime you change the flash mode in the camera to Wireless, the channel number is displayed for a few seconds (you can't change the channel though without the flash on).
Take the flash and just set the flash channel to the same one as the displayed camera and it'll work.
05-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Aha! Thanks steve1307 and mtansley! Now I see it!
10-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #11

Wireless Flash Channel

On the K20D the flash must be attached to the camera to change the channel. Then press the shutter half way to set the camera. Nothing will appear on the camera. Afterwards the pop-up flash triggers the wireless flash if the menu for the flash it set to wireless. . (I reduce to pop-up output to -2.0). I believe this will also trigger wireless strobes that are set to the same channel but I have yet to test it.