Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
why did Pentax sell to Hoya

I googled this and came up with alot of is hoya going to sell Pentax. But as a fairly newcommer to Pentax .. Why did Pentax sell to Hoya?

04-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just took a quick look and it was more like a hostile take over. I would have to link to other forums, something I never do, to give you live links. Instead I will suggest you use Google and the search term: Hoya Pentax take over.

Last edited by Colbyt; 04-08-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: replace missing words "it was more like "
04-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That did it.. thanks
04-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Just took a quick look and it more a hostile take over. I would have to link to other forums, something I never do, to give you live links. Instead I will suggest you use Google and the search term: Hoya Pentax take over.
Interesting reading using those search words. Thanks

04-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

It was a fairly hostile takeover. Hoya wanted the medical imaging division, Pentax managed to arrange the takeover in such a way that the camera division was kept intact.
Whether or not it was hostile or friendly, the fact is, Pentax would not exist today were it not for Hoya.
04-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll bet they did it for the money--just a hunch.
04-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Whether or not it was hostile or friendly, the fact is, Pentax would not exist today were it not for Hoya.
And, if they don't stop turning out junk like the K7, They may not exist much longer.

04-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Oscar1 Quote
And, if they don't stop turning out junk like the K7, They may not exist much longer.
And it's not just K7 junk they are producing. K-r and it's focusing problem is a joke. It just doesn't make me laugh when I own one ;-)
04-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Lucky for you then they discontinued it and put out the new improved version in the K5

Personally I have no major complaints on the K7 aside from high iso which i knew about when i bought it and could rectify with the k5. i've used canons meh, can't stand the functuionality and like having sr on my legacy lenses. Sony even bigger meh
Nikon, ok, but same thing i like my legacy glass and sr, though i would take a Nikon ff if someone offered but nothing is drawing me to it over Pentax. (for the expense of putting together a good Nikon ff kit I'd just go 645d)

not that canon/sony don't make good cameras they do. just not for me
04-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
"Lucky for you then they discontinued it and put out the new improved version in the K5
I don't think I'd exactly call it lucky.

I have two of the damned pieces of junk. I never seen to have but one of them available as one of them is always in repair.

Between Sensor, Failure e-dail failure and one SDM failure, I'l believe I'll be making a move. I've been shooting with Pentax gear since 1976. I've always liked the egronomics of Pentax gear over C & N. But, it's time to make a move.

Now, I can't wait for all the Fanboy crap that will be in this thread.

Pentax simply no longer makes quality gear. To claim otherwise is to be in denial.
04-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

They are finding it hard to recover from the very forgettable film slrs they produced in the 90s. Poor sales = no money for R&D. They were very late into dSLR. By the time they did enter, the race was well and truly over. It really was shake reduction in the K100D and legacy lens support that kept them alive. The Hoya takeover has helped, we have seen good improvements in AF and high iso performance.

It s incorrect to say Pentax does not make quality gear. What they do make, they build very well. Forums tend to magnify issues.
04-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two of the damned pieces of junk. I never seen to have but one of them available as one of them is always in repair.

Between Sensor, Failure e-dail failure and one SDM failure, I'l believe I'll be making a move. I've been shooting with Pentax gear since 1976. I've always liked the egronomics of Pentax gear over C & N. But, it's time to make a move.

Pentax simply no longer makes quality gear. To claim otherwise is to be in denial.
Don't buy a D60. A buddy of mine did and it sprays oil onto the sensor.
Would you accuse me of being a fanboy if I intimated that your post is on the whiny juvenile side?
04-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What do you expect with claims like that? My K-7 is solid and a great camera and I've been able to make many wonderful images with it. My K-5 is even better.
04-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

No skin off my nose if you wsnna bail but if you think canikon dont have problems then bail
But after 30 + years in the sales side of the industry i can say dont be surprised when you have problems with your new choice
Really as things becone more complicated there is more room for issues
My old really manual film gear is really reliable
I'd be a fool though if i expected that from my new gear. Ferraris spend a lot of time in the shop hyundias not so much
Both get you point a to b but its more fun in the ferrari
04-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #15

Photos: Albums

YouTube - Baby crying