Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 Features useful after all!

I lean towards being one of those creaky old men when it comes to features. Who needs more frames per second, better AF, or automatic bracketing? Clearly none of these are needed for true photography! I also would never use Photoshop, and especially no automated features of that software.

Well, there's always an opportunity to try new things. Last week I had some time to spend in Colorado Springs, so I went to the Garden of the Gods park. I wanted to try IR photography with the K-7. With my *ist DS and a bright sunny day, I can sometimes shoot handheld, but the K-7 is limited to a tripod. Then I realized I could take bracketed shots and maybe try HDR processing.

I had to fumble a bit with bracketing because I've never used it. I realized that with a 5 shot bracket and good light, the higher FPS can take all 5 shots in a second. Wow. I didn't need that speed for IR - more like 10 second exposures - but it might be useful elsewhere. I did use the RGB histogram, because IR leans heavily on the easily-blown red channel. The 77 segment metering is also improved for IR. AF works better too. Manual focus isn't really a good alternative for IR.

I also used the Merge to HDR Pro feature in CS5. Although I assume I could do a lot more with processing, here's one early example:

I also found a use for RAW+JPG. On a trip, it's not worth processing RAW images on the laptop - too slow and small. But my wife likes to see the shots each day, and I get tired of saying that they'll look better after processing. So this time I showed her the JPGs instead. Always something to learn.

04-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes the features are quite useful! Many ways to use your camera.

I turned my nose up at Live View until I realized it could help me focus and compose for handheld macros that were done at ground level.

[edit] Also useful for manually focusing at night!
04-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #3

Very nice but this should be marked Not Safe For Work! Look at the rock formations in the middle of the frame
04-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Taking the photo above, I was considering using a 28mm manual focus lens instead of the FA 35mm f2, and decided I couldn't focus in IR as well as the AF. I completely forgot about using Live View to focus, until you just mentioned it.

04-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Taking the photo above, I was considering using a 28mm manual focus lens instead of the FA 35mm f2, and decided I couldn't focus in IR as well as the AF. I completely forgot about using Live View to focus, until you just mentioned it.
You can also zoom in in live view to make sure your focus on fine elements is razor sharp.
04-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #6

I have also found that the K7 works great for IR photography. I still haven't messed with bracketing and HDR yet... on my to-do list.
04-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not sure I have actually improved anything. With the camera already on a tripod, taking more shots was easy enough. I don't really know what to do after that.

Re: NSFW - this is in Colorado Springs, not that far from Focus on the Family HQ. They'd probably dynamite it if they thought it looked like breasts.