Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #1

First Pentax DSLR

Hi!

I'm going to get my first Pentax DSLR to replace current 350d.

I like to shoot macros and I use current M42's (for example Super Tak 28/3.5 and 135/3.5) with extension rings for that (and reversed lenses on the future).

Few reasons why I need a new body:

- better low light performance
- liveview
- possibility to shoot video
- better viewfinder for manual focusing.

I have compared various cameras and I think the best options for me are from Pentax. The K-x or K-r to be exact. They are very reasonably priced.

My wife's dad has K-x and I have tested it and liked it very much. Viewfinder is so much better. However he has that "common" problem with the batteries. Suddenly the camera just dies. Is this a problem in every single K-x? Otherwise it's a great camera.

Does K-r has same problem? K-r has better LCD so it would be easier to use the liveview for focusing, right?

Does anyone have KatzEye in K-x or K-r? Does it make a huge difference?

Refurbished K-x KIT costs in eBay around 340 euros + postage (best bang for the buck!). K-r is a bit more. Do you have any other suggestions?

I also need sharp wide-angle lens for the camera. I can pay 300-400 euros for it. I have read that Tamron and Sigma 17-50/18-50 2.8 are good candidates. Are there better candidates?

Thanks for your help!

04-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Kx will probably serve you just fine. When you get it however, update (and tell your father inlaw to) the firmware. That is supposed to fix the battery meter problem. The K-r has a proprietary battery. In order to use AA with it you must also purchase the adapter for them. In 4 years of shooting Pentax dSLRs, I've NEVER had a battery problem with the proprietary batteries. Some will say AA are better. I say they are not. They reply well, what if you are in an area where you cannot charge the battery. AA are readily available everywhere. I say then I've planned poorly resulting in the need to do so. I could go on, but I think you get the point. Pentax dSLRs have Always been finicky about Which AA batteries are used.

Last edited by JeffJS; 04-10-2011 at 12:07 PM.